The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do NOT use any type of cleaner on the steering wheel AirBag cover.
I just got confirmation from the makers of "Trim Shine" that their product does cause the plastic to soften and get tacky, as happened to me. I have heard of other cleaning products causing the same problem, so please only use water to clean the cover.
Michael

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can understand how it alters the condition of the actual vinyl / plastic that the bag protrudes from. I don't know how technical the entire setup is or if its fine tuned to come out at a certain speed a certain way. But I can see ow an altered material can either release it a lot quicker or delay the bag if its softer or harder than it should be. If its harder I can see how pieces of cracked / damaged / hardened vinyl might fly at you. Maybe not bad enough to hurt you, but who knows. Just don't crash :D.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do NOT use any type of cleaner on the steering wheel AirBag cover.
I just got confirmation from the makers of "Trim Shine" that their product does cause the plastic to soften and get tacky, as happened to me. I have heard of other cleaning products causing the same problem, so please only use water to clean the cover.
Michael
Thats probably because its a low quality product filled with silicone and other harmful oils.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mine is already tacky... fibers of towel start to stick to it!

It was detailed a while ago but not sure what they used on it.

Any suggestions of what to put on it - Armorall, etc??

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
mine is already tacky... fibers of towel start to stick to it!

It was detailed a while ago but not sure what they used on it.

Any suggestions of what to put on it - Armorall, etc??
NO Armor All! :panic: at least in my opinion.

sounds like the detailer may have hurt ya....

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the advice - will try the Lexol products...

·
Registered
86 Posts
well my air bag cover didn't last well, it's very hot here and the net effect is that it looks like german car buttons that have had cleaners on them.

Is there any cure? for example, is it possible to strip off the sticky material?
I've also heard that you cant replace the airbag cover, but have to get an entire new airbag??

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well my air bag cover didn't last well, it's very hot here and the net effect is that it looks like german car buttons that have had cleaners on them.

Is there any cure? for example, is it possible to strip off the sticky material?
I've also heard that you cant replace the airbag cover, but have to get an entire new airbag??
Unfortunately it means a new airbag. Off course you could try painting it, but I have no idea how that would turn out.
Michael

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Please do NOT use armorall, it is made from Satan's Piss. The product has been on the market for 30 years, and they still haven't fixed the windshield hazing problem it causes.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I've used Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer on mine without incident, though I go easy on it since Michael's incident. IQD is very nice for interior parts as it leaves no shine or gloss, just a simple clean appearance, and it has some UV protection.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I use water on mine. The dealer made it tacky before I ever picked up the car. I can't help feeling Lotus used the wrong material on that airbag cover. Solved the problem by selling my entire airbag on lotustalk (with full disclosure) and buying a "new" one someone had on their shelf. This should be one of the first technical tips owners learn about these cars.

Another user bought a leather miniskirt at goodwill and covered theirs with leather :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to strip the rubber layer off, only to find a smooth plastic layer beneath?

I've seen rubberized handles on things like umbrella's go similarly sticky, and their top rubberized layer removed.

Does anyone have a discarded airbag cover to test this on? would be a great contribution to sticky airbag cover owners everywhere.

Sticky airbag covers... now why does that sound, so wrong, heh heh

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes,

I have only had my car from new less than six months. On previous cars I used Armourall, but I had a upolstery repair, the technician told me Armourall was bad for plastics only okay for rubber.

So I started using olive oil as I like the glossy look. This was fine on my previous car but the plastic in the Loti doesn't seem to like anything!!! I have gone back to Armourall but this doesn't work well either. The rubber on the top dash always looks patchy.

Can anybody suggest a product that gives the gloss look that doesn't attack this type of plastic on the dash and steering wheel?? :sad:

:confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have tried silicon spray. This works well cos you don't have to rub it on.

I use a piece of cardboard to cover the windscreen when spraying so it doesn't get murky.

Gives a nice gloss finish. Doesn't seem to effect the plastic and looks good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts