The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Warning for anyone trusting the word Mike Stafford of Stafford Engineering also known as Boostworks (the biggest thief and scam artist that ever lived)

Back in March 2009 I was following a Thread on Monkey Tuner.com that related to fitting an E153 Toyota 5 speed Gear box to a 2ZZ Engine in a Lotus Exige (see thread link below).

moremonkey.com • View topic - E153 Transmission

As our 2004 Lotus Exige (see youtube link) is Turbo charged and is running very big power we are having problems keeping the standard C64 gearbox with KAAZ gear set together and continue to break 4th and 5th gears. As this is getting expensive, we started talking to Frank Profina about his conversion and the options of obtaining a conversion gear box from him.

Frank couldn’t stop raving about the conversion, and offered that he would help us obtain a complete conversion from Mike Stafford. Frank doing the brokering he assured us of Mikes workmanship, integrity and that he himself (Frank) would help ensure a smooth transaction as Mike Stafford was a trusted associate of his. Given Frank (aka Ronin) is a prominent Forum member on a number of forums who seems to be trusted and respected by the forum community we trusted what he had to say (and now regret that decision).

Through Frank Profina, we were told a gear box could be supplied within two to three weeks of payment as a converted gearbox was almost complete. We then spoke to Mike Stafford on a couple of occasions who also said he could have a gear box conversion shipped within two weeks of payment as a setup was on the floor ready that was just waiting on some drive shafts.
Payment of $6,000 USD was made on the 5th of May 2009 into a US bank Wells Fargo in Sanfrancisco account in the name of Mike Stafford – Boostworks.

Up until this time numerous conversations with both Mike and Frank, they were accessible and accommodating to any questions.
After Payment, Mike Stafford stopped answering his phone and never returned phone calls. Frank (aka Ronin) was difficult to contact by phone, PM or Email, and replied selectively after this point and each time saying he had passed our messages onto Mike to contact us, until September 26th 2009 where Frank advised Mike had told him the gear box was shipped, and that he (Frank) “has nothing to do with this”.

When asked for Mikes Business address so we could take the matter into our own hands, Frank was unable to provide an exact address and was very vague (strange for someone who is supposed to be such a good customer of Mikes)

It’s since come to our attention this isn’t the first time this has happened with international customers as there was a previous situation with Mike and Frank where Super charger kits were never delivered as promised from Mike that was brokered by Frank.

Last information we were told is that gear box had been shipped, yet no shipping details have been provided like shipping dates, tracking numbers or details to prove this or enable it to be tracked, and no invoice to us so we could pay the shipping bill/costs. We were also never asked an address to have the gear box shipped to (based on this how could the gear box have been shipped).

Based on our experience, Mike Stafford of Boost works and Mike Stafford Engineering is NOT a credible business person. To This date almost 12 months later, no gear box, and no contact from him for over 6 months despite continued attempts via email and telephone. And no help from Frank (Ronin) despite initial assurances and promises made.

All we want is our gear box conversion that we paid for and we will be happy. But it seems that because we are on the other side of the world it won’t catch up. Well, I’m afraid the world is a smaller place then these people think and what goes round does come round.

Mike – You have our contact details, call us and deliver our Gearbox, and all this will go away, 12 months is more than being fair, Just because we don’t live in the USA doesn’t mean you can’t be traced down!.

Do business with these people at your OWN risk.

Mike Stafford Business address
44706 Yucca Ave.
Lancaster, CA 93534

Mike Stafford Home details
Michael D Stafford
44253 Kirkland Ave
Lancaster, CA 93535-3626

Attachments

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Frank has bad rep here. I do believe he is banned. Sorry to here about your troubles
Frank has a 'bad' rep here for being a foul mouthed frat boy, not for aiding and abetting rip-offs.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Frank has a 'bad' rep here for being a foul mouthed frat boy, not for aiding and abetting rip-offs.
and everywhere.

That being said, scammers do suck.

But I can't say I feel great about posting someone's home address on the interwebz. There are just too many crazies out there.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Unfortunately we all fall prey to false promises and hyperbole, remember Carbon John?
It took over two years for me to get a pair of CF access covers from his successor Alan Esso; whom to his credit has tried to fulfill John’s commitments without any compensation.
To date I’m still waiting for some CF parts to compensate for a lost Exige rear wing; unfortunately, Alan has told me that most of the molds that John made were junk and can’t be used.
The old adage – buyer beware should be remembered by all when buying anything over the internet.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for a possibly costly reminder ;x!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Rule #1 Don't do business in Lancaster LOL

Totally sucks though. $6000 dollars is a lot to basically steal from someone. :(

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
He couldn't contact his bank to stop the payment or dispute it since he did not get anything in return for the payment?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts