The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Do warranties usually start at the time a car is first registered to an owner?

I was making an inquiry about some minor work to be done under warranty and was told my warranty had already expired on March 15th 2008 yet the first owner was registered on November 17th 2005.

It appears that somehow the dealer punched the warranty start time on March 15th 2005 with Lotus, eight months before the car was actually registered to its first owner.

Hypothetically, if a dealer initially sold the car and punched the start time and the sale subsequently fell through, would/should Lotus re-set the warranty start date?

I'm waiting on follow up from Lotus Customer care.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The warranty starts the day the original owner takes delivery unless the car was a demo they used before he bought it. Did the original owner buy it brand new with only a few miles on it or did Valenti put a bunch of miles on the car as a demo?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
That sure sounds like a new car. It looks like Valenti either screwed up the warranty punch with Lotus or they are trying to hose you for some reason. Contact Lotus directly and explain the situation and give them the proof that the car was new with 12 miles in Nov. 2005. Hopefully they can straighten out your warranty for you.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I recall the warranty paperwork at time of sale said that the warranty started at time of sale, or when the car hit 50 miles, whichever came first. It's possible the car could have not been a demo and just racked up 50 miles with factory testing and occasional test drives at the dealer. Note, this is paperwork I saw (and I think signed) at the point of sale, it's not something I kept. I think it was something like a warranty activation card.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did a little more research for you. call me at the dealership tomorrow or i'll call you! yep i'm on the forum tonight!!:clap: don't worry i will try to help you out as best possible!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts