The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the very lucky ones to get one of the very early cars, and I'm coming up to the 3 year mark in a few months.

15000 miles, no major issues.

What should I have the dealer take a look at before it's too late?

Not looking to screw Lotus into unnecessary fixes under warranty, just looking to pre-empt everything that's scheduled to break at the 3 year plus one week mark by having it checked ahead of time.

A few years ago i had a Jag that suddenly started blowing blue smoke on startup just 3 days before the warranty expired - saved me about $3000 by having them check-it right then and there.

So, what should I have them look into?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Along the lines of this question (I don't have an answer for it, but this might apply)...

Does anyone have the current list of Service Bulletins/Recalls?

I know they've added a few since I downloaded the Service Manual, and I don't want to pay another $25 to find out. So, anyone that's done the download recently want to supply the list of bulletins? It might be a good idea to make sure everything on the car is up to date...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
A/C system, I don't know where you live but they checked my system and located a leak even though it seemed ok, Oil cooler hoses - Also Inspect all your suspension components - tie rod links front and rear, grease boots for tears etc... I have till October and am keeping a little list of possible problems to address before time runs out!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Along these lines, suggest 7 year extended warranty for new buyers.

It's a Lotus....can't hurt! :up:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
barney said:
I was one of the very lucky ones to get one of the very early cars, and I'm coming up to the 3 year mark in a few months.

15000 miles, no major issues.

What should I have the dealer take a look at before it's too late?

Not looking to screw Lotus into unnecessary fixes under warranty, just looking to pre-empt everything that's scheduled to break at the 3 year plus one week mark by having it checked ahead of time.

A few years ago i had a Jag that suddenly started blowing blue smoke on startup just 3 days before the warranty expired - saved me about $3000 by having them check-it right then and there.

So, what should I have them look into?

Thanks.
3 years and one post?

Welcome Barney! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
I downloaded these on march 31st.

TSB 2004-11 Throttle Setting Procedure.PDF
TSB 2004-21 Cnnctn checks Front Oil Coolers.pdf
TSB 2006-02 Elise Airbag Addendum Page.pdf
TSB 2006-07 ECU update program.pdf
TSB 2006-10 Electronic Throttle Body.pdf
TSB 2006-1R Gear Lever Recall .pdf
TSB 2006-25 Scan Tool Disc.pdf

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
LARRY said:
3 years and one post?

Welcome Barney! :D
Yeah Barney, where ya been ?? Umm.... there's a LOT you missed... you'll have to do about a 47 day straight search session to catch up on everything ~~ ~~!! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
TSB/recalls

Tim,

I downloaded the manual 2 days ago and there aren't any more than what kbob listed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just had to have the radiator clamps tightened under warranty. Have you ever lost and coolant?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
kbob said:
TSB 2004-11 Throttle Setting Procedure.PDF
TSB 2004-21 Cnnctn checks Front Oil Coolers.pdf
TSB 2006-02 Elise Airbag Addendum Page.pdf
TSB 2006-07 ECU update program.pdf
TSB 2006-10 Electronic Throttle Body.pdf
TSB 2006-1R Gear Lever Recall .pdf
TSB 2006-25 Scan Tool Disc.pdf
Thanks.

I think I have all of those, so hopefully I'm all up to date. :up:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm also looking to make a final warranty claim. I have the added complication that the dealer is 150 miles away, so I don't want to make many trips. Here's what I know of that my car needs.

Need headlight rings. Plastic is burned.
Exhaust tip fell off.
Heater output is very weak. A/C is weak too but probably TADTS.
Recall updates the ECU. (Not in the TSBs?)
Recall puts a piece of tape somewhere under the dash so I won't cut myself.
Passenger side turn signal in so tight it will break the first time it's removed. (need an excuse to get the dealer to remove it. (-: )

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Other than the service bulletins (shifter recall, ECU reflash, ...) I would recommend you check the right door for rubbing, check the A/C, and do the headlight embellisher rings. I also had a small oil leak at the waterpump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My headlights needed adjustment/alignment. I paid for that but they installed the headlight embellisher rings free of charge. I asked if there is a recall for that. I was told no. They are installing them when they do any work that requires removing the headlights.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does the 2005 require the ECU reflash?
What does it do?

I have not had that done as far as I know.
My headlamp surrounds have the 'burning' so I guess I need to call the dealer and arrange to have them replace. Is there any hassle doing that under warranty?

mark

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
911EATER -- what's wrong with your two wheels? I had one replaced under warranty due to a cracked/broken spoke (LSS).

·
Registered
341 Posts
One more thing for my car...

The red LED at the top of the tach is flickering intermittently on bumpy pavement. It started a couple of months ago and is gradually getting worse. It's on about 10% of the time now.

(Has anybody else seen this?)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
kbob said:
Need headlight rings. Plastic is burned.
This isn't a "recall" but if you ask for the headlight rings they should do it automatically - they did for me.

Exhaust tip fell off.
Me too. I thought I was the only on since I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning it.

Heater output is very weak. A/C is weak too but probably TADTS.
:tadts: Although my heater does good enough, it doesn't put out enough "hot" as other cars. The biggest problem with the ventilation system is that it doesn't seem to flow much air - that affects the heater and the A/C.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
kbob said:
One more thing for my car...

The red LED at the top of the tach is flickering intermittently on bumpy pavement. It started a couple of months ago and is gradually getting worse. It's on about 10% of the time now.

(Has anybody else seen this?)
This is often caused by a loose connection at the battery. Check the battery clamps for tightness. Then check the other bolt of the battery cable a few inches away from the clamps. The clamps on the battery cables are actually adapters. They are bolted to the end of the cable, and then attached to the battery like normal cars. The bolt on the cable/adapter was what was loose on my car. A loose connection here (which is quite common) causes low batteries, the flashing tach/alarm light/ and other strange problems, that all go away when the bolts are tightened.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts