The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Lotus void a warranty if a car has aftermarket (non forced-induction) parts? On the car I currently drive, the manufacturer voids the powertrain warranty even for use of things like an aftermarket exhaust or intake.

I searched, but only found threads discussing warranty loss for high-rev and track issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Not really. Not unless it can be demonstrated that the after-market parts caused the problem.

Now, you may have to prove that it wasn't the cause, but that is another matter, and you would face that with every manufacturer.

By the way, often it is the dealer that claims "warranty void", not Lotus themselves.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Does Lotus void a warranty if a car has aftermarket (non forced-induction) parts? On the car I currently drive, the manufacturer voids the powertrain warranty even for use of things like an aftermarket exhaust or intake.

I searched, but only found threads discussing warranty loss for high-rev and track issues.

Thanks.

My understanding is that a manufacturer can only void the warranty for the parts that are adversely affected by the modification.

There was a post in a thread within the last couple months that mentioned a case Magnussen something or other vs. someone else were a precedent was set that held automobile manufacturers to their warranty unless they could prove that that specific modification adversely affected the specified part. ***The manufacturer has the burden of proof.

Previous discussion on this forum concluded that different dealers have different opinions on how this issue is managed. Some dealers are more conservative than others.

I think there is an exception for Lotus parts (the stage II exhaust is a very popular mod and I don't think I've heard anyone say their dealer refused to cover a powertrain issue).

In Summary, if you wanted to, you could probably force Lotus to honor their warranty, but realistically ask people about the experience they've had at the dealer where you would likely take your car.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: I spent a long time writing this because I was doing several other things at the same time, so a lot of what I wrote was covered above. Oh well. :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yes. Don't ask how I know - verry long story. Basically, what I gleaned from my experience (and that of others), they'll find a way to void it if they don't feel like honoring it. Read the warranty. Depends on whether they want to go letter of the law or spirit of the law. Selective enforcement of the warranty contract - different story from a contract law perspective.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yes. Don't ask how I know. Basically, what I gleaned from my experience (and that of others), they'll find a way to void it if they can.
I am sorry mr lotus customer, but that aftermarket valve core you have in your right front tire will cause the engine to overload on startup, and cause numerous problems.
we have even seen the flux capacitor destroyed from it.
Also we have seen some peoples johnson rods get rubbed the wrong way from this, and become limp, like yours is now from asking about this warranty issue and aftermarket parts.

i hope this sums it up.
Fishguy

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes. Don't ask how I know - verry long story. Basically, what I gleaned from my experience (and that of others), they'll find a way to void it if they don't feel like honoring it. Read the warranty. Depends on whether they want to go letter of the law or spirit of the law. Selective enforcement of the warranty contract - different story from a contract law perspective.
Then you sue them and the regional service people from the manufacturer take the dealer out of the equation and settle with you and you get a new engine. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I am sorry mr lotus customer, but that aftermarket valve core you have in your right front tire will cause the engine to overload on startup, and cause numerous problems.
we have even seen the flux capacitor destroyed from it.
Also we have seen some peoples johnson rods get rubbed the wrong way from this, and become limp, like yours is now from asking about this warranty issue and aftermarket parts.

i hope this sums it up.
Fishguy
More or less. Every time I overcame one of their reasons, another one came up and then we ended up going in circles. It was a total circle jerk.

Edit: I will say they did try to make better, but they didn't try to make right.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I think it is safe to assume that an aftermarket part could void your warranty with Lotus or any other car manufacturer and you assume the risk of voiding the warranty on items related to said part(s).

FWIW, I have had a few warranty issues, albeit without any aftermarket parts on the car, that have been covered completely by Lotus. Yes, I know that is another topic.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Then you sue them and the regional service people from the manufacturer take the dealer out of the equation and settle with you and you get a new engine. Don't ask how I know.
Believe me, I know what you're saying. I am still contemplating such a move as I was damaged in the process and I was told by other people 'in the know' that sometimes that is the only way to compel them to fix the problem.

One of these days, I'll post the whole story, but I'm tired right now.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'm just going off of intuition here, but wouldn't the burden of proof in a civil case be on the plaintiff? You would have to prove that the aftermarket part did not cause the malfunction. Right?

xtn
I disagree. The cause for you bringing action in the first place was the denial of your warranty. As such, the plaintiff would only need to show that they denied the warranty. The defense would ultimately be them showing why they denied warranty.

The problem IMO was the fact that they've voided some warranties and not others and vice versa. Letter of the law, based on the verbiage in the warranty, any modification voids warranty, period. Spirit of the law, that modification should have had a hand in the failure. Being in insurance, I can tell you that any company would get its collective a$$ handed to it in court for covering one loss and then subsequently denying a similar loss. But that's just me.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dum...s-Warranty-Intact.id-2669,subcat-HOBBIES.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some dealers will say what they want if they think it is in their interest and/or they are unethical. A good dealer will work with you as a customer. Often the a-hole type know full well the law, but they figure for every 10 guys they can shaft, maybe one will have the knowledge and fortitude to do something about it. In my case, I found a simple letter from a lawyer ($80) completely changed the situation. Of course, the bridge was burned, but then I would not have gone back anyway.

The law does protect the consumer, but you may have to fight for your right. And don't go retuning the ECU and expect the valves to be covered. But you can sure put an exhaust on without fear.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Be aware of mods to the ECU - especially those that impair the ability of the dealer to do a data dump. That *will* void your entire powertrain warranty & flag your call for ALL future warranty work. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was the head warranty administrator for two motorcycle manufacturers and I made the final call on all warrantees in the US for these companies. I would usually deny the customer warrantee coverage or dealership repayment if there was an aftermarket part installed related to the failure. Plus if the customer told anyone at the dealerships or it was known that they race or abused their bikes then I would also deny coverage. Including engine failures.

Sometimes I would also watch the chat boards and forums and if the customer was bragging about trying to get one over on the dealerships or told me a different story than what they blogged, I would use that information while deciding wether to cover their repairs. Manufacturers don't want to repair items that are caused by user error but sometimes will make exceptions to keep up customer satisfaction. Obviously if there is a catastrophic failure its best to return the vehicle to stock before turning the vehicle in.

Plus the 30 day rule to get it repaired or the vehicle could be bought back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts