The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove 3 hours for my very first oil change in my brand new Evora GT with 1,100 miles on it and I got there and the manager said " you don't have a warranty"... I replied what a "ahh what". He said my car has been "tuned". I was very confused and said I do not have a tune on the car... I said I have an intake only and he said "that's it". He said I must of told someone at Lotus which is not true. Me and my buddy put the intake on at my house.. So first of all, how can an intake VOID my warranty??? Also, be careful what you post on here..

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard of this over intakes and decats.....the Lotus reps have called people out on FB posts that this is possible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most state laws require that a modification must be proven to be the cause of an issue in order to void a warranty so you may want to take legal action. That said, my dealer in Orlando has stated that simple mods like the 3rd cat delete or and aftermarket air filter will void the warranty. Either way you can't force a dealer if that's their policy. Have noticed a lot of GT buyers quick to do mods perhaps ignorant of these policies. It should be noted that some dealers actually install the 3rd cat delete pipe.

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
Always be careful what you post. There are insurance agents on here, on the diesel forums they watch the EPA watching them. Once in print it's there for the world much as all the cameras out there to record our every move.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It doesn’t void all warranty coverage, just emissions and powertrain. If you have an engine or powertrain failure you could appeal if you can prove the aftermarket intake didn’t play a role (tough to do).

It is a bit creepy that Lotus proactively follows the forum, but the dealer could have denied warranty repair anyway if the intake was installed when you took it in. If the stock intake was installed when you took it in, I would asked the dealer to contact Lotus to reinstate the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
The more I think about this, the more I think the dealer had something to do with reporting to LCU the modifications observed. Since OP took it in for the very first service after break-in to establish a baseline for warranty coverage (where they do an ECU dump to ensure it wasn't abused), it was probably not the opportune time to have any aftermarket modifications installed.

@jayely1 - What was the timing of being told the car had no warranty? Upon arrival and check-in with the service manager, or after they had already taken the car to the service bay? That would likely determine if it was the dealer reporting or if LCU somehow already had it marked as modified (which seems rather odd from just forum posts, unless you've posted your VIN and specific things you've done to the vehicle).

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is what really grates me about this company. You are hanging on by a thread for dear life and survival, yet you have such an antagonistic position towards your loyal customers, and you aren't afraid to nickel and dime.

Lotus warranty is a joke anyway. Eff lotus warranty. Most of the so called lotus techs at dealerships don't know jack **** anyway. I know brgelise and julian etc are going to jump on this and claim they have had great experiences at Lotus dealers. Tell you what, you guys are such a small minority. Most of this country does not have access to Lotus techs worth 50 cents.

Sorry to hear OP. Find a good reputable Indy and save yourself the heart ache.

·
Premium Member
Caterham Superlite R Evora 400
278 Posts
OP do you still have the old air box?
If so and I understand (from You Tube Vids on this mod) a huge PIA but could you not reinstall it?

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,680 Posts
How is this BS? You buy a new car, and it’s under warranty, and you go ahead and void it by modifications. Then you take the modified car, with that part still on it......”brilliant move” to the dealership for its very first time, knowing full and well you modified it and try and say it’s BS they voided the warranty? Come on people. Should have just taken the air intake off, put stock on and took it in, got your stuff done, and swapped it back then you’re done, and or waited until your warranty was up to modify the car. Your own fault, and now hope you don’t have a serious engine issue cause that’s gonna cost a lot more then your air intake. Also if you decide to sell the car soon due to unforeseen circumstances, now on a brand new car, the new buyer won’t have a warranty on it. Better think ahead next time instead of trying to gain 10hp.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
A quick reading of the letter from Lotus leads me to believe that if you bring it in with specific DTCs showing they are going to charge you to diagnose and repair them if you have an aftermarket intake.

IT does not seem to say that 'your warranty is voided'

And yeah, I think I would wait a year to mod my car if I cared about it.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
A quick reading of the letter from Lotus leads me to believe that if you bring it in with specific DTCs showing they are going to charge you to diagnose and repair them if you have an aftermarket intake.

IT does not seem to say that 'your warranty is voided'
Except for this bit at the top, 2nd item:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Personally, I think it's annoying, and a bit bonkers that any car company void warranty for the simple little things.

BUT -

There's a lot of R&D and cost that goes into what's installed OEM on the cars. They didn't test that part, so they aren't willing to warranty it, nor any issue it may cause upstream of it. So it becomes pretty obvious, from a business and liability perspective, to void PARTS of the warranty for this. And that's what they did. You're still under warranty, other than the engine.

What gets me are the "gotcha" warranty voiding things I've heard of. Like a dealer sponsored track day for McLaren which voided the warranty for every participating car (I imagine that ended in a law suit, but never saw the end result)

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
The rules were written for the warranty and should be followed during the warranty period. Brazenly going to the dealer with mods that are specifically forbidden is like going for a CA inspection with a REV400 and expecting to pass. The branding will follow you just like it would with my example. Like others have mentioned you would want to undo any mods prior to going to a dealer. Hopefully all new Lotus owners will read and be aware of mods during warranty period and how dealers deal with them.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts