The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
This is what really grates me about this company. You are hanging on by a thread for dear life and survival, yet you have such an antagonistic position towards your loyal customers, and you aren't afraid to nickel and dime.

Lotus warranty is a joke anyway. Eff lotus warranty. Most of the so called lotus techs at dealerships don't know jack **** anyway. I know brgelise and julian etc are going to jump on this and claim they have had great experiences at Lotus dealers. Tell you what, you guys are such a small minority. Most of this country does not have access to Lotus techs worth 50 cents.

Sorry to hear OP. Find a good reputable Indy and save yourself the heart ache.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I was having major IPS issues with my first Evora and Lotus tech at dealer didn't know what he was doing, things got ugly. Head of Lotus NA called my cell and said he would void my warranty because I scanned codes with my own OBD scanner. I asked him to pound sand.

Lotus is smoking crack. They have the burden of proof to show that your air intake caused other issues. Which they can NEVER definitively prove. It wont stand a chance in court.

Hire a good lawyer - one that is experienced in automotive suits - send Lotus a nice letter on legal letterhead. I guarantee you your warranty will be reinstated, and quickly. I have zero tolerance for manufacturers - whoever they are - dicking loyal customers around on warranty issues. That guy Brian Shepherd who is the warranty person for Lotus North America is extremely unhelpful even on a good day.

Having said that, knowing Lotus warranty is worth absolutely zero, you may want to save yourself the stress and calories. Even if you had a warranty, they will either do a half ass job after sitting on your car for months, or deny it anyway.

Find an indy you trust.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I hear people drop the lawyer card here. Unless you currently have a lawyer on retainer, or have a pro bono lawyer best friend, this is going to be pointless. Lotus has WAY more money and Lawyers to mount up a defense, and if for some miraculous reason it gets to the courts, they will stall it into oblivion while your lawyer is still being retained and you are incurring charges by the hour and by every piece of paper they have to review that Lotus will throw their way. Its a common tactic by big companies to wait the little people out till they are broke and cant afford to retain a lawyer anymore.

Its a shitty situation and I would be pissed, but I would have definitely saved all modifications till after the warranty ended. If you did try and sue, what type of service do you think you would get there moving forward? Better off swinging by the Jiffy Lube for that oil change.
Lotus is not a "big company" Think about it. Head of the north america operations calls up a customer to nickel and dime over a $300 range sensor warranty claim. There is one guy nationwide that all warranty claims go through. They hire a local upholstery shop to fix your seat bottom rather than replace the seat. They tell you "door seals are leaking a normal amount" right in the work order. They "share" techs at most dealerships with other brands.

This is not a grown up big volume company with dozens of lawyers on staff. This is the amateur happy hour company that several reputable dealers across the country have dumped because of their after sales shenanigans.

Even if they did have tons of lawyers on staff, I would find an email for Geely and send them a professionally worded email, denoting names of service managers, dealership general managers and including as much specificity as you can. Then I would tweet Geely and tag the lotus dealer in question. Then I would post it on facebook and tag the lotus dealer in question. Usually, when an irate customer goes to your boss's boss's boss's boss, and takes you to the court of public opinion, that will make you sit up and notice.

This is absolutely ridiculous. OP hasn't even made a warranty claim. They cannot aggressively void all warranty because you installed an air intake. Eff that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Everyone is jumping to conclusions without the full picture of what this case is about. Maybe they took an ECU dump and found a tune? End of the day, they are a car company and a business. They have to draw the line somewhere because some customers could just not be satisfied. If you don't like it, sell the car and move on to a brand that treats you the way you want to be treated.
I think you are missing the point Octonian. Even if they found a tune, they cannot just unilaterally invalidate your warranty. A tune doesn't mean they are not responsible for a failed window regulator or rear window defroster. They can only invalidate warranty on specific components after proving the modification is what caused the component's failure. That's the Magnuson-Moss act. "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product."

The reason some of us are taking offense is when you add the context of Lotus's squirmy at best and downright slimy at worst after sales support, this specific case seems much worse. "If you dont like it go somewhere else" is a fair argument, but there are lots of cards to be played before you get to that extreme. Insisting on being treated fairly (and within the confines of the law in the United States) after making a $100k purchase comes far in advance of taking your money elsewhere. Lotus wants to play in the US market? Well, there are laws here that protect customers they have to play by. If you can't do that, pack up and head back to Europe like many others have done.

As the old adage goes, the customer is always right and being an ultra niche ultra low volume almost obscure manufacturer, Lotus more than anyone should be grateful it has any customers to speak of.

·
Registered
583 Posts
No offense to the indy but are you implying that Lotus/Toyota did not tune the engine as well as an indy could do it?
Really? Lotus/Toyota/OEM are bound by emissions, noise regulations and things like durability of components for a certain number of miles etc. There's a TON of room in the power band for any indy given how restrictive modern noise and emissions laws are. It's not about which engineer is smarter, its about what goals you are trying to optimize. So yes, absolutely, Lotus/Toyota did not tune the engine as well as they could have, if responsiveness/power/noise level is your goal.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Any indy? Maybe with aftermarket ECU but considering how tightly locked the ECU is and only a couple of vendors have unlocked it not so much so. If you look at what KT is offering I wouldn't call that a TON of power given the price.
Fair point. 'Some Indys' is more appropriate. I remember Inokinetic got some decent gains too, in addition to KT. I believe BOE was working on a 400 tune though nothing came of it.

Re: KT, a 35 WHP gain and equal if not more torque gain is well worth $2k. Sure, $2K may buy you more power in other platforms, but in general, that's respectable gains for the money given opportunity costs of alternative ways of making power (of intake, exhaust, cams etc.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
High maintenance women and high maintenance customers, you don't want either in your life. I don't mean to dismiss genuine issues people had with these cars. But small niggles here and there are blown out of proportion sometimes. Just because people paid $100K for a car, they are not entitled to be treated like a king. Unless you worked in a customer facing role at some point in your life, you may not understand how wide the spectrum is and how wierd it is on the extreme end :) Anyway, these are fantastic cars given all their faults which is why we still drive them and talk about them. Focus on the good stuff and work with Lotus NA/UK when you feel you have been wronged. Until you get it in writing from Lotus, don't stop. At that point, it is upto you if you want to leave the brand and go elsewhere. Social media is a powerful tool if you leverage it correctly but don't try to be an activist for no good reason.
You have gone from drinking the koolaid to making the koolaid and handing it out to everyone. The experiences of a person buying a depreciated and sorted car in the used market is different from someone who pays the premium and buys it new. As are their expectations and rightfully so.

I am really glad your NA Evora is bullet proof and you haven't had any interactions with Lotus NA because you have always been out of warranty. Doesn't mean you can marginalize or talk down to owners who actually paid $100K for their cars, have had horrific issues (both with the car and the company's service departments) that are indisputable. And owners who have owned plenty of other cars to have a point of comparison, so they aren't as clueless or out of touch as your post implies.

Cliff notes: Chill. Everyone's experience is different and don't project yours on everyone. Liking a product doesn't have to mean you like everything about the company that makes it. Its why there is such a concept as customer feedback.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Haha! You are validating what I just said about entitled customers. It might sound arrogant, but I do believe in firing customers. Sometimes it's just good business. Ferrari does it the opposite way, they decide and choose who can buy their top end cars. Not anyone who has the cash can go and buy those cars. As much as I believe in regulatory agencies like the FTC and the CPSC, there is a negative aspect to it. I am not supporting Lotus or the customer but I understand running a business is hard. Some customers make it harder. Just stating my view and I am fully entitled to have my own view. It's a democracy :)
You have only made 5 or 6 posts with your koolaid in this thread alone. So I don't buy your "i am not supporting Lotus" line.

I do support your "fully entitled to have my view" sentiment. You should just sit back and let folks who actually have paid $100k and actually have dealt with Lotus service do the talking. Not an unreasonable request - if you don't have any experience dealing with the company on their premium products after sales service, just go easy on the commentary. Your experience maintaining a 10 year old Lotus in the aftermarket with Indys is not relevant to this specific discussion about voiding a new car warranty and whether that's reasonable or unreasonable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts