The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
In Texas if you google Lotus it says Dallas or Houston, not good for me both are 4-5 hours away and should something mechanical break how exactly do you get it there.. I know Austin has a lotus dealer, if you can call it that, they have one maybe two cars but do they have a service shop?
I have a lift so I’m just gonna change my own oil

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guess they took that as a challenge
I’ve read a half dozen threads on service and warranty so I called the service director in Vegas where I bought my car.
He said you need to do your first service between 1000 and 1500 miles no more, because lotus uses a different break in fluid then normally required for regular use, at that time they like you to do an ECU dump to verify that the engine has been broken in properly, so those YouTube videos you see where some moron smokes his tires as he leaves the dealer is a big no-no….
technically I live 4-5 hours from an actual lotus dealer, and the fact that the ECU dump is something you pay out of pocket, you can get around that, you just need to prove you changed your oil and filter to recommended fluid between 1000-1500 miles.
he also told me you should expect to pay around $500 for the ECU dump (likely due to proprietary test equipment) and $450 for the oil change, this is a bit ridiculous since the only difference between changing the oil in the Toyota Camry and the lotus is removing 12-15 bolts and sliding out the bottom tray and your using synthetic Mobil 1 oil versus cheaper 5W40.
I’m gonna find someone either local in San Antonio or drive to Austin to get the first service done, after that I’m doing it myself. I just ordered the TRD filters at local toyota dealer for $17 each and buy the Mobil 1 at advance auto.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 1st service at 1027 miles (S1) was a $308 oil change. The ECU dump that was performed at the same time was free as it was for warranty purposes as required by Lotus. I was also provided with a printed copy of the ECU dump at no charge.

I have no idea why a dealer would charge $500 for an ECU dump that Lotus requires. Although, if you just stopped in one day and asked for a dump for the heck of it I'm sure they will charge you.
Well this is what the guy in Vegas told me, doesn’t necessarily mean someone here in Texas will charge for it. every dealer is different

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really when you think about it, I bought a 2021 F150 king ranch in April which was 72K, Ford has Ford pass points so when you buy any Ford you get 42K point equivalent to 3-1/2 oil changes, if You paid cash it would be around $60-65 bucks, for 25k more you own a lotus that costs $1000 for first service….
If you compare it to the first service for a 911 which is $800 which Porsche now includes in the price of the car.
Mclaren 720S is $3800.00 so it must be an “English” thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts