The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Personally, I think it's annoying, and a bit bonkers that any car company void warranty for the simple little things.

BUT -

There's a lot of R&D and cost that goes into what's installed OEM on the cars. They didn't test that part, so they aren't willing to warranty it, nor any issue it may cause upstream of it. So it becomes pretty obvious, from a business and liability perspective, to void PARTS of the warranty for this. And that's what they did. You're still under warranty, other than the engine.

What gets me are the "gotcha" warranty voiding things I've heard of. Like a dealer sponsored track day for McLaren which voided the warranty for every participating car (I imagine that ended in a law suit, but never saw the end result)

Registered
Well, knowing they could be reading this, I have to say I am extremely pleased with both my dealer and Lotus US. 馃槵

Honestly, other then the high hourly rate, I really really like the Lotus staff near me.
I've actually had really good success with Lotus after-sale support, but that was on OEM products. Even ones not originally installed on my car (my SC from a later model car, for example).

Put this in any other product, and you start to gain perspective. Computers/cameras/etc. The company builds, QAs, and sells a product they stand behind.

If you want an intake with a warranty, shop for one. K&N used to work WITH manufacturers to ensure non-issue (and state as such on SOME of their products).

But it's your responsibility as the owner/modder/etc to take responsibility for the parts your putting on the car.

So if it makes power, you're a genius? but if your aftermarket intake causes an upstream problem to the motor, that's somehow Lotus' fault?

Registered
This is just simply not true. A friend of mine who tracks his GT350R just went through this. He lawyered up and Ford paid out big to replace his engine.
A lot of information missing here. How did the engine fail? Was there modifications to the engine? etc.

Ford's in the middle of a large suit about it's cars going into LIMP mode on track (different issue).

I'm not actually asking for answers about your friends GT350R, just saying that with the info you provided, it's apples and oranges.

Registered
But if you dont take it to a dealer to do the first breakin oil change do you void warranty?
Since they wont have a record of the oil change ever being done.
I know my Corolla has to be done at Toyota until the drive train warranty is up.
So, if I recall the law correctly, there was a caveat that if they force the provider, they have to have it included. Meaning, your Corolla, when you go in for service, are you charged? I think Toyotas come with service during the warranty period, right?

Otherwise, you can take it anywhere as long as you keep receipts that the correct parts were used.

I just skimmed the post. The BMW/MIN dealer where I live has never voided a complete warranty for mods. The first care I bought them had a few mods and was still under warranty. They told me the warranty was still in place they just would not fix the parts that had been modded or if they caused a problem. I am disappointed to hear Lotus is doing this. If I did a small mod to my car under warranty I would not expect them to fix that part or if that part caused a problem, but void the warranty because of an intake? No
Not that his whole warranty wasn't voided. It was a partial void due to intake and "tune" but I'd say he could argue he's not tuned (yet anyway).

Your BMW MINI experience was similar to mine with one exception. They never cared that I ran a cobb A/P or hot-side resonator delete. But when I did my HPFP independently (pre-warranty-extension), they were in a huff about reimbursing me since I (nor my independent shop) didn't buy the part from MINI. (correct part, but no MINI/BMW part number stamped on it.)

There are laws, but I think the OP is going to have a hard time proving things. It's all academic though, as I think the next move should be to have the OP Calmly and with only statements of fact, call Lotus (corporate) and state his case. A note on the service receipt is not worth much.

Registered
Well now no one will be buying these intakes while in warranty still thanks to me.. Still unsure how they can legally void a warranty when there's laws in place like others have mentioned..
Plenty of people will still buy them. But with the foresight that they are making the choice to shoulder their own powertrain warranty. As one of the bigger aftermarket shop runners often says - "you have to pay to play."

But I don't understand why we're at 93 posts on this thread. Did you call LCU and talk to them about it? You keep saying "void" but it's not. In your screenshot, it clearly shows you ARE in warranty! Just the Powertrain and emissions parts are called out, you know, the parts you modified outside of factory spec, per the policies you were handed when buying the car.

If rather than writing "car is tuned" they wrote "aftermarket intake installed" would you be this upset? Is it just the phrasing that's a bother?

MODERATORS - can we close this thread until the OP contacts LCU, as the rest is speculation.

Registered
and a supporting aftermarket vehicle specific dyno tune will yield Improved results.
Bingo. Just an intake or just an exhaust, nothing. But with a tune, you (probably) will yield results. Heck just a tune and stock parts you'll probably yield results. But you'd violate the conditions of your power train and emissions warranty.

PS I'm staying totally stock throughout my warranty period... Period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts