The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,129 Posts
They specifically were targeting the Radium, which it is not. . Did you ask them to show you those codes? No codes, no problem. I suspect in court as well. Many of those issues also have to do with bad installs and folks wasting dealer time and money to fix screwups.
Was it for a free oil change? Did they refuse to do it?
You have been quite vocal about everything you plan to do..........to me, warranties are just toilet paper....amazing what they exclude. Good luck. Magnussen Law specifically says they can't void a warranty unless they can PROVE the part was responsible...this could get nasty.
MY biggest issue with what you did is how quick you did the mod. Car was not even broken in yet. Your ears, nor your butt have a clue about things yet. You really screwed up here. But the Toyota powertrain will be bulletproof unless you tune it to hell as you have discussed with everyone here..by some track time and learn to drive the car, you may find its a lot faster than you are out of the box, and for a long time thereafter.

And yes, xxaaarra, my sevice tech did a BRILLIANT major refresh job, but that dealer is 100% aware of my use of the vehicle, it was not under warranty nor will bother doing anything to the 2013 NA IPS car due to all the things affected potentially on IPS cars...besides they improved it a lot v the 2010,2011 cars to a point where, except for ease of working on car, a CAI isn't gonna help much even with an exhaust....mind you correct diameters etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
An intake mod is not a simple mod even though it looks like one. The engine is essentially a heat pump and you change so many parameters of how it works by installing a pipe with a crude foam filter in place of the factory airbox with so much engineering behind it. While it's ethically gray, legally they are clear.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Go back in there with a copy of the Magnuson-Moss act. If they still fight it, lawyer time. They are mistaken.

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I was having major IPS issues with my first Evora and Lotus tech at dealer didn't know what he was doing, things got ugly. Head of Lotus NA called my cell and said he would void my warranty because I scanned codes with my own OBD scanner. I asked him to pound sand.

Lotus is smoking crack. They have the burden of proof to show that your air intake caused other issues. Which they can NEVER definitively prove. It wont stand a chance in court.

Hire a good lawyer - one that is experienced in automotive suits - send Lotus a nice letter on legal letterhead. I guarantee you your warranty will be reinstated, and quickly. I have zero tolerance for manufacturers - whoever they are - dicking loyal customers around on warranty issues. That guy Brian Shepherd who is the warranty person for Lotus North America is extremely unhelpful even on a good day.

Having said that, knowing Lotus warranty is worth absolutely zero, you may want to save yourself the stress and calories. Even if you had a warranty, they will either do a half ass job after sitting on your car for months, or deny it anyway.

Find an indy you trust.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I work at a BMW dealer and if a tuned car comes in and we read fault memory for any reason it will set a tuned fault. BMW monitors this situation and voids warranties all the time. This is true for modifying code for the CID and Kombi. Even if you remove the tune it will still show, it happens all the time and makes it hard to properly diagnose when they lie about the tune even though you can show proof.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
I hear people drop the lawyer card here. Unless you currently have a lawyer on retainer, or have a pro bono lawyer best friend, this is going to be pointless. Lotus has WAY more money and Lawyers to mount up a defense, and if for some miraculous reason it gets to the courts, they will stall it into oblivion while your lawyer is still being retained and you are incurring charges by the hour and by every piece of paper they have to review that Lotus will throw their way. Its a common tactic by big companies to wait the little people out till they are broke and cant afford to retain a lawyer anymore.

Its a shitty situation and I would be pissed, but I would have definitely saved all modifications till after the warranty ended. If you did try and sue, what type of service do you think you would get there moving forward? Better off swinging by the Jiffy Lube for that oil change.

Reactions: mywave

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, knowing they could be reading this, I have to say I am extremely pleased with both my dealer and Lotus US. 😬

Honestly, other then the high hourly rate, I really really like the Lotus staff near me.
I've actually had really good success with Lotus after-sale support, but that was on OEM products. Even ones not originally installed on my car (my SC from a later model car, for example).

Put this in any other product, and you start to gain perspective. Computers/cameras/etc. The company builds, QAs, and sells a product they stand behind.

If you want an intake with a warranty, shop for one. K&N used to work WITH manufacturers to ensure non-issue (and state as such on SOME of their products).

But it's your responsibility as the owner/modder/etc to take responsibility for the parts your putting on the car.

So if it makes power, you're a genius? but if your aftermarket intake causes an upstream problem to the motor, that's somehow Lotus' fault?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I hear people drop the lawyer card here. Unless you currently have a lawyer on retainer, or have a pro bono lawyer best friend, this is going to be pointless. Lotus has WAY more money and Lawyers to mount up a defense, and if for some miraculous reason it gets to the courts, they will stall it into oblivion while your lawyer is still being retained and you are incurring charges by the hour and by every piece of paper they have to review that Lotus will throw their way. Its a common tactic by big companies to wait the little people out till they are broke and cant afford to retain a lawyer anymore.

Its a shitty situation and I would be pissed, but I would have definitely saved all modifications till after the warranty ended. If you did try and sue, what type of service do you think you would get there moving forward? Better off swinging by the Jiffy Lube for that oil change.
This is just simply not true. A friend of mine who tracks his GT350R just went through this. He lawyered up and Ford paid out big to replace his engine.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
This is just simply not true. A friend of mine who tracks his GT350R just went through this. He lawyered up and Ford paid out big to replace his engine.
A lot of information missing here. How did the engine fail? Was there modifications to the engine? etc.

Ford's in the middle of a large suit about it's cars going into LIMP mode on track (different issue).

I'm not actually asking for answers about your friends GT350R, just saying that with the info you provided, it's apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
Ok maybe I forgot to leave the part out that if you have a lot of disposable income this will be a easier feat. If you want to realize how true it is, search for a lawyer and see if they will take the case, instant $500+- retainer right there, if your lucky they will give you free advice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is what really grates me about this company. You are hanging on by a thread for dear life and survival, yet you have such an antagonistic position towards your loyal customers, and you aren't afraid to nickel and dime.

Lotus warranty is a joke anyway. Eff lotus warranty. Most of the so called lotus techs at dealerships don't know jack **** anyway. I know brgelise and julian etc are going to jump on this and claim they have had great experiences at Lotus dealers. Tell you what, you guys are such a small minority. Most of this country does not have access to Lotus techs worth 50 cents.

Sorry to hear OP. Find a good reputable Indy and save yourself the heart ache.
Most of the lotus dealerships do seem to be 2 bit operations, but I have had only good experiences working with Lotus corporate. Very responsive, human, and they "get it".

·
Registered
546 Posts

Lotus is not a "big company" Think about it. Head of the north america operations calls up a customer to nickel and dime over a $300 range sensor warranty claim. There is one guy nationwide that all warranty claims go through. They hire a local upholstery shop to fix your seat bottom rather than replace the seat. They tell you "door seals are leaking a normal amount" right in the work order. They "share" techs at most dealerships with other brands.

This is not a grown up big volume company with dozens of lawyers on staff. This is the amateur happy hour company that several reputable dealers across the country have dumped because of their after sales shenanigans.

Even if they did have tons of lawyers on staff, I would find an email for Geely and send them a professionally worded email, denoting names of service managers, dealership general managers and including as much specificity as you can. Then I would tweet Geely and tag the lotus dealer in question. Then I would post it on facebook and tag the lotus dealer in question. Usually, when an irate customer goes to your boss's boss's boss's boss, and takes you to the court of public opinion, that will make you sit up and notice.

This is absolutely ridiculous. OP hasn't even made a warranty claim. They cannot aggressively void all warranty because you installed an air intake. Eff that.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
Lotus is not a "big company" Think about it. Head of the north america operations calls up a customer to nickel and dime over a $300 range sensor warranty claim. There is one guy nationwide that all warranty claims go through. They hire a local upholstery shop to fix your seat bottom rather than replace the seat. They tell you "door seals are leaking a normal amount" right in the work order.

This is not a grown up big volume company with dozens of lawyers on staff. This is the amateur happy hour company that several reputable dealers across the country have dumped because of their after sales shenanigans.

Even if they did have tons of lawyers on staff, I would find an email for Geely and send them a professionally worded email, denoting names of service managers, dealership general managers and including as much specificity as you can. Then I would tweet Geely and tag the lotus dealer in question. Then I would post it on facebook and tag the lotus dealer in question. Usually, when an irate customer goes to your boss's boss's boss's boss, and takes you to the court of public opinion, that will make you sit up and notice.

This is absolutely ridiculous. OP hasn't even made a warranty claim. They cannot aggressively void all warranty because you installed an air intake. Eff that.
Ok, your right, an estimated 15 billion value is not a big company.

"Separately from the fundraising, the Chinese company is also weighing an initial public offering of Lotus Cars, or just the British carmaker’s EV business, as soon as next year, the people said. A listing could value the entire business, including its combustion-driven sports and racing cars, at more than $15 billion, the people said."

Geely owns 51% of Lotus and has a 27 billion dollar market cap, not to mention it employs nearly 40k people, and has been established for almost 50 years.

Im sorry but its incredibly stupid to think that "This is not a grown up big volume company with dozens of lawyers on staff." You mean to tell me, you realistically think they keep two lawyers in the office?

You can put it on blast on social media all you want, thats a good way to get a perma ban from that dealership. If he broke the contract, its a open shut case. He modified a vehicle, when the contract clearly states it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most of the lotus dealerships do seem to be 2 bit operations, but I have had only good experiences working with Lotus corporate. Very responsive, human, and they "get it".
This is 90% of the dealerships. But in this case particularly, I can see The dealerships point. I’ve never modified a car or truck until after the warranty has expired, if I did (my old evo 8, I went through the painstaking task of taking every single thing off when I had to get the ACD replaced under warranty. Why you ask? Because I read the warranty that spelled out that any little thing would void the power train warranty and new that I couldn’t bring it back to the dealer the way I had it configured. I even threw the stock suspension back on.

There are few Toyota dealerships that work on my friends off road rigs for free maintenance/warranty claims either- a lot for the same reasons. Some with just suspension upgrades got their warranties voided.

I hope the OP finds a service manager that’s understanding. For what you get from an intake, I’m not entirely sure it’s worth all this trouble at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Ok, your right, an estimated 15 billion value is not a big company.

"Separately from the fundraising, the Chinese company is also weighing an initial public offering of Lotus Cars, or just the British carmaker’s EV business, as soon as next year, the people said. A listing could value the entire business, including its combustion-driven sports and racing cars, at more than $15 billion, the people said."

Geely owns 51% of Lotus and has a 27 billion dollar market cap, not to mention it employs nearly 40k people, and has been established for almost 50 years.

Im sorry but its incredibly stupid to think that "This is not a grown up big volume company with dozens of lawyers on staff." You mean to tell me, you realistically think they keep two lawyers in the office?

You can put it on blast on social media all you want, thats a good way to get a perma ban from that dealership. If he broke the contract, its a open shut case. He modified a vehicle, when the contract clearly states it will void the warranty.
Lotus context is helpful. The size of Geely is meaningless. What Geely does with Lotus is all that matters. Remember, GM owned Lotus. How’d that work out? Toyota owned a chunk of Lotus…heck…some Esprit tail light lenses were from Toyotas. Proton isn’t as big as Geely, but with 12000 employees it had some oomph.

Dont forget Artioli/Bugatti which, while small, literally saved Lotus with the Elise.

Point being there is no shortage of big players who saw Lotus as a bright shiny plaything they could make work.

We’ll see.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am beginning to think that there is information that is missing about this case. Anyone have friends in Galpin?

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400 Midnight Purple MT
97 Posts
Sucks. Lotus dealership support is not that good and even when it is there, they don't treat customers well.

Best bet is to forget the warranty and find a trusted independent mechanic nearby... Or do the work yourself.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts