The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
In Texas if you google Lotus it says Dallas or Houston, not good for me both are 4-5 hours away and should something mechanical break how exactly do you get it there.. I know Austin has a lotus dealer, if you can call it that, they have one maybe two cars but do they have a service shop?
I have a lift so I’m just gonna change my own oil

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is why I am not a fan of minor mods. If you are going to risk it, risk it while you put your car on a whole new level.

I didn't even drive my 400 once before I voided the warranty to hell and back.

My Emira on the other hand, I am not touching anything, not even wheels. I plan to trade it in for a new Emira so I won't be risking anything until the final ICE Emira drops. I'll modify that one as far as it will go.

·
Registered
614 Posts
In Texas if you google Lotus it says Dallas or Houston, not good for me both are 4-5 hours away and should something mechanical break how exactly do you get it there.. I know Austin has a lotus dealer, if you can call it that, they have one maybe two cars but do they have a service shop?
I have a lift so I’m just gonna change my own oil
But if you dont take it to a dealer to do the first breakin oil change do you void warranty?
Since they wont have a record of the oil change ever being done.
I know my Corolla has to be done at Toyota until the drive train warranty is up.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
But if you dont take it to a dealer to do the first breakin oil change do you void warranty?
I know my Corolla has to be done at Toyota until the drive train warranty is up.
The first service at Lotus also includes the ECU dump. That is what they use to determine warranty validity (at the time). If you do not have the ECU dump they may not provide the warranty.

As far as your Corolla is concerned, you may want to look into that requirement and see if its true. I do not believe any manufacturer can require all service to be performed at a dealer to keep the warranty intact. However, you do have to maintain proof it was serviced according to the manufacturer's requirements- including what fluids/ parts etc. were used.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
332 Posts
I just skimmed the post. The BMW/MIN dealer where I live has never voided a complete warranty for mods. The first care I bought them had a few mods and was still under warranty. They told me the warranty was still in place they just would not fix the parts that had been modded or if they caused a problem. I am disappointed to hear Lotus is doing this. If I did a small mod to my car under warranty I would not expect them to fix that part or if that part caused a problem, but void the warranty because of an intake? No

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
So, if I recall the law correctly, there was a caveat that if they force the provider, they have to have it included. Meaning, your Corolla, when you go in for service, are you charged? I think Toyotas come with service during the warranty period, right?

Otherwise, you can take it anywhere as long as you keep receipts that the correct parts were used.

I just skimmed the post. The BMW/MIN dealer where I live has never voided a complete warranty for mods. The first care I bought them had a few mods and was still under warranty. They told me the warranty was still in place they just would not fix the parts that had been modded or if they caused a problem. I am disappointed to hear Lotus is doing this. If I did a small mod to my car under warranty I would not expect them to fix that part or if that part caused a problem, but void the warranty because of an intake? No
Not that his whole warranty wasn't voided. It was a partial void due to intake and "tune" but I'd say he could argue he's not tuned (yet anyway).

Your BMW MINI experience was similar to mine with one exception. They never cared that I ran a cobb A/P or hot-side resonator delete. But when I did my HPFP independently (pre-warranty-extension), they were in a huff about reimbursing me since I (nor my independent shop) didn't buy the part from MINI. (correct part, but no MINI/BMW part number stamped on it.)

There are laws, but I think the OP is going to have a hard time proving things. It's all academic though, as I think the next move should be to have the OP Calmly and with only statements of fact, call Lotus (corporate) and state his case. A note on the service receipt is not worth much.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Everyone is jumping to conclusions without the full picture of what this case is about. Maybe they took an ECU dump and found a tune? End of the day, they are a car company and a business. They have to draw the line somewhere because some customers could just not be satisfied. If you don't like it, sell the car and move on to a brand that treats you the way you want to be treated.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Everyone is jumping to conclusions without the full picture of what this case is about. Maybe they took an ECU dump and found a tune? End of the day, they are a car company and a business. They have to draw the line somewhere because some customers could just not be satisfied. If you don't like it, sell the car and move on to a brand that treats you the way you want to be treated.
I think you are missing the point Octonian. Even if they found a tune, they cannot just unilaterally invalidate your warranty. A tune doesn't mean they are not responsible for a failed window regulator or rear window defroster. They can only invalidate warranty on specific components after proving the modification is what caused the component's failure. That's the Magnuson-Moss act. "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product."

The reason some of us are taking offense is when you add the context of Lotus's squirmy at best and downright slimy at worst after sales support, this specific case seems much worse. "If you dont like it go somewhere else" is a fair argument, but there are lots of cards to be played before you get to that extreme. Insisting on being treated fairly (and within the confines of the law in the United States) after making a $100k purchase comes far in advance of taking your money elsewhere. Lotus wants to play in the US market? Well, there are laws here that protect customers they have to play by. If you can't do that, pack up and head back to Europe like many others have done.

As the old adage goes, the customer is always right and being an ultra niche ultra low volume almost obscure manufacturer, Lotus more than anyone should be grateful it has any customers to speak of.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think you are missing the point Octonian. Even if they found a tune, they cannot just unilaterally invalidate your warranty. A tune doesn't mean they are not responsible for a failed window regulator or rear window defroster. They can only invalidate warranty on specific components after proving the modification is what caused the component's failure. That's the Magnuson-Moss act. "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product."

The reason some of us are taking offense is when you add the context of Lotus's squirmy at best and downright slimy at worst after sales support, this specific case seems much worse. "If you dont like it go somewhere else" is a fair argument, but there are lots of cards to be played before you get to that extreme. Insisting on being treated fairly (and within the confines of the law in the United States) after making a $100k purchase comes far in advance of taking your money elsewhere. Lotus wants to play in the US market? Well, there are laws here that protect customers they have to play by. If you can't do that, pack up and head back to Europe like many others have done.

As the old adage goes, the customer is always right and being an ultra niche ultra low volume almost obscure manufacturer, Lotus more than anyone should be grateful it has any customers to speak of.
I am not taking sides. Just stating the fact that we don't have all the facts. I am sure there are nuances in the Warranty Act and some things are left to interpretation. But I agree that they cannot deny a claim for the window regulator because they found an aftermarket intake. That makes sense.

In any case, it is in the OP's best interest to not divulge any more details on a public forum like this. If he feels that he had been wronged by the dealer or Lotus he should get a lawyer and file a complaint with the FTC as is stated here. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
nope, I was there for 30 seconds and he pulled up the file before I even pulled my car in.. He said I must of told someone I had a tune.. That's when I said I don't have a tune and never had any work done anywhere..1000% it's from these forums and someone reporting it.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
874 Posts
nope, I was here for 30 seconds and he pulled up the file before I even pulled my car in.. He said I must of told someone I had a tune.. That's when I said I don't have a tune and never had any work done anywhere..1000% it's from these forums and someone reporting it.
Wow man thats super shitty. What a dick bag move.

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Loves to talk
1,519 Posts
If I were Lotus I would be monitoring these forums. I don't think they always did but I think they do now that they are gearing up to sell more units. Their primary advertising/go to market strategy has been using influencers, journalists, You Tube and whatever word of mouth they could gin up ergo they watch the forums. They certainly have been connected for years at The Lotus Forum. There's no reason for them to announce their presence here as they gain little from it. But that doesn't mean they can't read. It wasn't a traitor that turned this in, it was a mole that found it.

I waited until my car was out of warranty to tune it for this very reason but the OP has reason to be outraged at such cavalier behavior. Frankly, the main thing on the car that doesn't need the reassurance of a warranty is the motor, but the rest is clearly unaffected by any such mod as an intake and will be found to be warrantable in the end should it need service for unrelated parts.

I listened to a Smoking Tire live-cast that had Steve Dinan as guest . The conversation turned to the question of "discoverable" tunes and Dinan confirms (not that we needed confirmation) that BMW has had the necessary software for years. As have all the other manufacturers. He says the manufacturers are leading the charge to get tunes outlawed. They know they can add heat and still pass emissions. He claims tunes are conservative precisely for reasons of warranty, which seems obvious and sensible, but also to sell the tunes themselves. For instance, if it were up to Lotus, they'd sell you a new car in 10HP increments, starting at 360 and going where....all the way to 430? More? Say more even. Please! Actually they've done that already and it sort of worked. It works for everybody apparently. A regular sales strategy. Who knew?

Jayely, you might ask your charming tech if he knows of anybody that actually sells a tune for the GT. I don't think KT has one for release, but if they do, it would be cool if the tech would verify that for us. Last I checked, nobody had one for the GT's ECU. The tech should have the software to confirm that your car has a standard ECU so he should be able to check that for himself. Also, he needs to be the guy buying the beer. He owes you one.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
304 Posts
Was the service at Galpin? Or just the sale? The paperwork looks different than mine. Otherwise if it is Galpin.....uhhh hey guys hope you get that part soon!

41 - 60 of 144 Posts