The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
What remedy are you seeking in this or are you just venting? If you are seeking a reinstatement of the emissions and powertrain warranty I don't see that happening. When Lotus imported that car they certified it to fully comply with all EPA requirements and all State requirements like California Air Resources Board. The car was certified with particular parts and settings that are compliant with those regulations. Changing those parts or settings removes the vehicle from compliance. If Lotus were to accept that your vehicle is still covered for powertrain and emissions it would have to be as certified... it is not. For Lotus to say it was in compliance would mean they are up against their assertions to the EPA that their car is compliant, when it isn't. How they found out is not relevant.

Also, please be very clear in all communications. Lotus did not invalidate your warranty. Lotus specified it will no longer honor the powertrain and emissions portions of your warranty. Anything else that hasn't been removed from compliance would still be covered.

Lotus, on their own, might want to make you a happy customer. They just aren't going to do it by risking huge problems with the EPA and CARB and the ability to import vehicles.

All the talk about getting lawyers involved... give me a break. Absurd! Again, what's your remedy? Money damages? Specific performance? Good luck with that.
Dang! Are you a lawyer or a manufacturer rep? :) But I agree with what you've said. I think this should close further discussion on this thread. The OP does not have a case. Moral of the story, if you want your warranty honored, stop modding the cars and enjoy them as Lotus designed it. They offer plenty of performance out of the box and I am saying this about the lowly NA versions too.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
304 Posts
I dunno, sorry, Something still doesn’t add up… while it’s a bit creepy to realize dealer/manufacture is trolling forum looking to tag people… maybe I missed it but; where/what/how are you posting so much information about yourself and your car that someone was able to directly identify you/your exact car without going through any channels first?
This is what is confusing to me too. I suppose Evora numbers are small enough that only a few details can probably confirm identity (how many COP'S are 1 of 1 on the exact configuration?)

But the surety with which Lotus apparently made this link is still striking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Octonion; I am a Lawyer and have arbitrated over a hundred Lemon Law claims in California. I stopped practicing several years ago because of the truth in the old saying... "Anyone who likes sausage or the Law has never seen either being made". I do not offer legal opinions on individual cases but do discuss legal principles in general.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
352 Posts
I dunno, sorry, Something still doesn’t add up… while it’s a bit creepy to realize dealer/manufacture is trolling forum looking to tag people… maybe I missed it but; where/what/how are you posting so much information about yourself and your car that someone was able to directly identify you/your exact car without going through any channels first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is what is confusing to me too. I suppose Evora numbers are small enough that only a few details can probably confirm identity (how many COP'S are 1 of 1 on the exact configuration?)
Just a wild guess, but maybe in looking at the the OP's Forum ID, his name is Jay . And maybe dealers supply names of car owners when they file warranty papers with Lotus USA on new cars. Dunno, wild speculation I guess.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Registered
400 Posts
I find the above kinda funny given the entire S1 generation suffered from chit connectors which resulted in tons of sensor errors, namely MAF, which was never fixed by Lotus (RE: S1 engine wiring harness failures). That said, at one point they did spring for zip ties on the connectors LOL.

That said, this is nothing new... Adding performance mods can/will void any manufacturers warranty if you are caught. Lotus is focusing on intakes here but larger picture wise, they are only doing what every other manufacturer does.

You think Lotus is bad? Try modifying a new BMW... I felt like I was in constant spy game with BMWNA trying to get warranty work while having performance mods on the side. They are known for constantly sending regional reps to dealerships who will examine any suspicious car that comes in, and even if a suspicious car appeared stock they could make the techs supply an ECM data dump that was sent back to Germany for review before warranty work was approved.

As was said before, ALWAYS remove mods before going to a dealership for work. And honestly nowadays with the types of revision counters that new ECM software uses, it's extremely difficult and many cases impossible to hide aftermarket tunes even if you flash back to stock before dealer visits.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I work at a BMW dealer and if a tuned car comes in and we read fault memory for any reason it will set a tuned fault. BMW monitors this situation and voids warranties all the time. This is true for modifying code for the CID and Kombi. Even if you remove the tune it will still show, it happens all the time and makes it hard to properly diagnose when they lie about the tune even though you can show proof.
I didn't read all the pages and just saw this... My case in point about BMW. This guy probably could imagine my dilemma when I tried to get the OEM charge pipe replaced on an N54 after I blew it into pieces from a boost spike running a COBB flash tune. Blowing up the chargepipe on a stock tune was a HARD sell... But sometimes it pays to go to the right SA's who use the right techs ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
For those quoting the MMWA, most are correct in here as far as burden of proof being on the manufacturer and all that... But the problem is that the manufacturers very often use grey areas or broad statements in the written law to prove performance mods could void almost any claim in the powertrain/emissions warranty, like in this case.

If you read Lotus's statement above carefully, they have more or less already given the reasons they would and could use to void a powertrain warranty, or in other words basically successfully fight any possible powertrain warranty one could ever bring, and yes just by installing an aftermarket intake. If you read the statement, they have given reasons why the entire powertrain could be affected by an instake, even though we all know that in reality that's a massive stretch. BUT... such broad statements as "Increased wear and tear" and "adversely affecting the reliability of the powertrain" can go a long way in court and can cover anything and everything brought as a warranty claim on the powertrain, trust me. I've read about many instances over the years of manufacturers using such broad statements to successfully combat lawsuits brought on using the MMWA as the basis.

Given this was "an aftermarket part with the intent of increasing performance" paired with the above, plus the language they have put into the warranty paperwork given to every owner, Lotus knows they can mount a fight against a lawsuit, and their fight is right above in black and white for us to see.

Trust me, I think it's BS that they use these broad statements to deny claims and void warranties, but they can and do. Just want to be real with people who may believe that the MMWA is a precise protection blanket that allows them to mod away... Because it very much isn't.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Also, the days of getting massive powwer increases while maintaining reliability and most importsantly, emissions is about over. Like I aid above, I was specifiacally told, read about, learned etc that messing with the intake on IPS cars was wrought with trouble. While the stock unit is lots of spaghetti, changing it all for 3-5 HP IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. I do not see exhausts mentioned.....short of their own poorly developed Janspeed units, you gotta do something real dumb to screw up here...Again for 3-5 HP. No longer worth it. At least they have done a good job reducing the stock weights which were always my bogey on my 11S. in the latter years.
To the Op, I wouldn't sweat it, they are damn reliable. Hopefully you learned something here. Again, learn to drive what you have...its pretty damn quick stock!! Numbers can be bullshit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well now no one will be buying these intakes while in warranty still thanks to me.. Still unsure how they can legally void a warranty when there's laws in place like others have mentioned..

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Well now no one will be buying these intakes while in warranty still thanks to me.. Still unsure how they can legally void a warranty when there's laws in place like others have mentioned..
Plenty of people will still buy them. But with the foresight that they are making the choice to shoulder their own powertrain warranty. As one of the bigger aftermarket shop runners often says - "you have to pay to play."

But I don't understand why we're at 93 posts on this thread. Did you call LCU and talk to them about it? You keep saying "void" but it's not. In your screenshot, it clearly shows you ARE in warranty! Just the Powertrain and emissions parts are called out, you know, the parts you modified outside of factory spec, per the policies you were handed when buying the car.

If rather than writing "car is tuned" they wrote "aftermarket intake installed" would you be this upset? Is it just the phrasing that's a bother?

MODERATORS - can we close this thread until the OP contacts LCU, as the rest is speculation.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Also, the days of getting massive powwer increases while maintaining reliability and most importsantly, emissions is about over. Like I aid above, I was specifiacally told, read about, learned etc that messing with the intake on IPS cars was wrought with trouble. While the stock unit is lots of spaghetti, changing it all for 3-5 HP IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. I do not see exhausts mentioned.....short of their own poorly developed Janspeed units, you gotta do something real dumb to screw up here...Again for 3-5 HP. No longer worth it. At least they have done a good job reducing the stock weights which were always my bogey on my 11S. in the latter years.
To the Op, I wouldn't sweat it, they are damn reliable. Hopefully you learned something here. Again, learn to drive what you have...its pretty damn quick stock!! Numbers can be bullshit.
I think everyone that has done the intake or exhaust mod is really after the sound gains than any HP gains. Lotus even calls it out in that doc "louder induction noise".

Given how this forum also loves to talk about how electric cars have no noise it's pretty easy to see why everyone wants to make them louder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chevy states clearly that they will not warranty a car if non Chevrolet Performance parts are installed. I had a couple of Camaros, and I made sure to use the Chevy Performance parts for the intake and exhaust. The good thing is the Chevy parts were by quality manufacturers like Borla. I wish Lotus would offer performance parts that will not affect the warranty. It is for that reason I will not touch a single thing on my 2021 GT until the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think everyone that has done the intake or exhaust mod is really after the sound gains than any HP gains. Lotus even calls it out in that doc "louder induction noise".

Given how this forum also loves to talk about how electric cars have no noise it's pretty easy to see why everyone wants to make them louder.
Tbh I really need to dig through this forum and find all the data that supported all this “intake and exhaust don’t do chit” talk we see. I’ve seen some stuff way back about how the ‘S’ sees no benefit from the BOE CAI for instance but does see benefit on the N/A. I can see this on the FI versions of the Evora but I’ve just never seen any baseline vs mods Dyno results on here (nor have I looked, though).

An optimized intake paired with optimized header back exhaust system and a supporting aftermarket vehicle specific dyno tune will yield Improved results. I mean this is all but the given basis of car mods.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
and a supporting aftermarket vehicle specific dyno tune will yield Improved results.
Bingo. Just an intake or just an exhaust, nothing. But with a tune, you (probably) will yield results. Heck just a tune and stock parts you'll probably yield results. But you'd violate the conditions of your power train and emissions warranty.

PS I'm staying totally stock throughout my warranty period... Period.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I also vote to close this thread or even delete it.

All it's doing is stating the obvious risk of losing warranty for related mods and making the brand and this community look bad for future customers who are coming to this forum.
Maybe it would be a good idea to add it as a disclaimer upon registration, so that new users are mindful of what information they're sharing? Wouldn't want to see another one of these threads pop up later down the road.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts