The Lotus Cars Community banner
141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Haha! You are validating what I just said about entitled customers. It might sound arrogant, but I do believe in firing customers. Sometimes it's just good business. Ferrari does it the opposite way, they decide and choose who can buy their top end cars. Not anyone who has the cash can go and buy those cars.
As with many things, there are nuances to this.

At a local weekly cars and coffee I met a guy there with his brand new Ferrari. He was a well known businessman who founded and grew a mid Atlantic tire store, made a ton of cash before making more selling out today NTB, then making more money staying on to be the advertising pitchman.

Could pay cash for any new Ferrari he wanted. But at the time Ferrari had a policy that you must’ve been a prior Ferrari owner to be permitted to buy new. He found a dealer in Florida who sold him a used Ferrari he had on the lot. Entire deal done at a distance. Buyer never saw the car, let alone took possession. When the ink was dry on the deal, the now Ferrari owner immediately traded it back into the dealership for a new car.

That dealer probably flipped that one used car several times a month…with it never leaving the Lot.

Reactions: troyus

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Ferrari is a bit full of themselves in that regard

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400 - IPS
20 Posts
If I were Lotus I would be monitoring these forums. I don't think they always did but I think they do now that they are gearing up to sell more units. Their primary advertising/go to market strategy has been using influencers, journalists, You Tube and whatever word of mouth they could gin up ergo they watch the forums. They certainly have been connected for years at The Lotus Forum. There's no reason for them to announce their presence here as they gain little from it. But that doesn't mean they can't read. It wasn't a traitor that turned this in, it was a mole that found it.

I waited until my car was out of warranty to tune it for this very reason but the OP has reason to be outraged at such cavalier behavior. Frankly, the main thing on the car that doesn't need the reassurance of a warranty is the motor, but the rest is clearly unaffected by any such mod as an intake and will be found to be warrantable in the end should it need service for unrelated parts.

I listened to a Smoking Tire live-cast that had Steve Dinan as guest . The conversation turned to the question of "discoverable" tunes and Dinan confirms (not that we needed confirmation) that BMW has had the necessary software for years. As have all the other manufacturers. He says the manufacturers are leading the charge to get tunes outlawed. They know they can add heat and still pass emissions. He claims tunes are conservative precisely for reasons of warranty, which seems obvious and sensible, but also to sell the tunes themselves. For instance, if it were up to Lotus, they'd sell you a new car in 10HP increments, starting at 360 and going where....all the way to 430? More? Say more even. Please! Actually they've done that already and it sort of worked. It works for everybody apparently. A regular sales strategy. Who knew?

Jayely, you might ask your charming tech if he knows of anybody that actually sells a tune for the GT. I don't think KT has one for release, but if they do, it would be cool if the tech would verify that for us. Last I checked, nobody had one for the GT's ECU. The tech should have the software to confirm that your car has a standard ECU so he should be able to check that for himself. Also, he needs to be the guy buying the beer. He owes you one.
This is pretty much what McLaren does. Some of their cars have the exact same engines but diff HP due to ECU programming. You "pay" for the tune. If you tune yourself to get extra HP the warranty is up

·
Administrator
9,109 Posts
As with many things, there are nuances to this.

At a local weekly cars and coffee I met a guy there with his brand new Ferrari. He was a well known businessman who founded and grew a mid Atlantic tire store, made a ton of cash before making more selling out today NTB, then making more money staying on to be the advertising pitchman.

Could pay cash for any new Ferrari he wanted. But at the time Ferrari had a policy that you must’ve been a prior Ferrari owner to be permitted to buy new. He found a dealer in Florida who sold him a used Ferrari he had on the lot. Entire deal done at a distance. Buyer never saw the car, let alone took possession. When the ink was dry on the deal, the now Ferrari owner immediately traded it back into the dealership for a new car.

That dealer probably flipped that one used car several times a month…with it never leaving the Lot.
That might explain some of the strange carfax numbers we see with some cars.

141 - 144 of 144 Posts