The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took my car to MAG. for warranty work on monday.

With a short list of issues.

-2007 Exige S
--Oil leak
--Window rattles
--Trac control button doesnt work
--Clutch pedal issue

I got a call today and this is what he said about each issue

-oil leak
That is some exterior gasket that goes bad because lotus wasnt replacing the gasket when they reinstalled the piece after S/C install. Which that is fine.

-Window rattles.
Umm we cant find a solution to this problem. So were not sure what to do. We have some foam that we can throw in there that might solve the issue would you like us to do that? I told them no, and I aksed if they made sure the adjuster screws were tightened. (Via info i got from this site) They said yes they checked those. So i just told them to leave that problem alone i would look at it.

-Trac control button in-operative
Ok i had just gotten done doing some shifter mods before i took it in. The trac button from the day i got the car hadnt seemed to be working. I would push the button and nothing happens. Pushed it all different kinds of ways. Held it in, push it quickly, numerous times, one slow push, etc. Still nothing.
I since had a shop remove that console for install fo the rear camera. And i had removed it and kept it off for the trip up there.
Well here was his answer to me. "it doesnt work because you have had the center console off for too long. Once you turn the key on 5 times without the button plugged up. The computer erases the button from its memory and you cant put it back without buying a new computer. So since that was something you did we are unable to replace the computer which would cost $1400.00. I didnt really know what to say to this besides well it was like that since the time i first bought the car so. I aksed if the T/C was stuck on now and i am unable to turn it off and he said no. The car has no T/C now. So its always off. Which is better than always being on for me.

-Clutch pedal issue.
Okay the clutch stopper aka the little rubber ball on the back of the pedal is gone. Been gone since i pulled it off the lot. And the other part of the clutch stopper that is connected to the car not the pedal is now mangled and was mangled when i bought the car. Well i wanted the mangled part at least replaced.
There answer was the rubber ball is no longer available from lotus. So we can not get that part. And as for the clutch stopper piece that is attached, yes, it looks to be worn but we dont see it causing a problem or making noise so we cant replace that either.

Pretty much they're fixing the oil leak and thats it.

So whats your opinions on my expierence thus far with MAG service. ?

And also what am i to do with these problems now. ?

Thank you all for any help.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i heard nothing but bad things about MAG.

And i would have usually listened to my fellow LT members on this. But the drive was such a difference and i am limited on availability since i work in car sales. So i was forced to try MAG out for myself.

I guess im getting what i deserve.

Main theory here is there any truth to what these guys are saying about the trac control.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Oil Leak - TADTS It happens when they reinstall the dipstick tube after the S/C install at the factory.

Window Rattles - TADTS Check the uberpost... you're better off adjusting the windows on your own. Mine rattle about 1% of the original amount after adjustment.

Trac Control Button - Wow, that's a good story... I'm not in a position to argue with them, but it seems there should be some way to reactivate it...

Clutch Pedal Issue - I'm with you here... they should fix it.

Just my own opinion... I only want the dealer doing what's necessary to keep my warranty valid... in case something really expensive goes wrong. Otherwise, I'm going to do my own maintenance/fixes.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree with you^^ and usually thats what i do. But since it had to go for the oil leak anyway i figured i would have them quickly fix these problems why they were at it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Trac control button in-operative
Ok i had just gotten done doing some shifter mods before i took it in. The trac button from the day i got the car hadnt seemed to be working. I would push the button and nothing happens. Pushed it all different kinds of ways. Held it in, push it quickly, numerous times, one slow push, etc. Still nothing.
I since had a shop remove that console for install fo the rear camera. And i had removed it and kept it off for the trip up there.
Well here was his answer to me. "it doesnt work because you have had the center console off for too long. Once you turn the key on 5 times without the button plugged up. The computer erases the button from its memory and you cant put it back without buying a new computer. So since that was something you did we are unable to replace the computer which would cost $1400.00. I didnt really know what to say to this besides well it was like that since the time i first bought the car so. I aksed if the T/C was stuck on now and i am unable to turn it off and he said no. The car has no T/C now. So its always off. Which is better than always being on for me.
WTF?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The Lotus Sport ECU cost under $1000. And besides, they can reflash your existing ECM to replace the traction control function for nothing but an hour's worth of labor. Sounds like they want to rip you on that one.

xtn

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The Lotus Sport ECU cost under $1000. And besides, they can reflash your existing ECM to replace the traction control function for nothing but an hour's worth of labor. Sounds like they want to rip you on that one.

xtn
+1

BTW, I originally thought my TC wasn't working either... I didn't realize how long you have to hold down the button before it's disabled... about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So I am taking mine to MAG for a coolant leak next week. Should I be worried?

If the TC switch is just a switch then it would be as if it was not activated . How could that erase the memory of the ECU?

Charliex might be able to chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
FVMC can work out to have your car picked up by our transport service at a reasonable cost. or you could drive here on like a wednesday and leave it with us for a day to see if we could resolve your issues...(which i think we could). if you are interested pm me
this goes for anyone needing any kind of work on there lotus
T.J.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Main theory here is there any truth to what these guys are saying about the trac control.
I was just browsing the service manual... what they said is partially true. It does say that a new ECU must detect the presence of the TC switch within the first 5 ignition cycles, otherwise it is locked out indefinitely, and can only be reset by Lotus Cars (presumably with a reflash).

So, not entirely true; not entirely false. At the very least it doesn't seem like you need a new ECU; just a "reset by Lotus Cars".

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well im a little worried about the TC.

For one thing to answer a question above about problems with the switch. I tried holding the button in for 30+seconds and still nothing.

I also tried launching the car before i took the car up there. And it didnt seem like it was losing trac like it should. It chirped the tires and bogged down then went.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well im a little worried about the TC.

For one thing to answer a question above about problems with the switch. I tried holding the button in for 30+seconds and still nothing.

I also tried launching the car before i took the car up there. And it didnt seem like it was losing trac like it should. It chirped the tires and bogged down then went.
Did the TC light on the dash come on? It should blink when the TC is actively trying to limit wheelspin. You should also hear a slight misfire sound coming from the exhaust.

EDIT: I wouldn't be too worried about it... it's either a software state issue that should be easily fixed by a reflash, or the switch/connector/wiring is bad, which should be simple to repair (unless the problem is somewhere deep in the wiring harness, but that's unlikely).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If the TC switch is just a switch then it would be as if it was not activated . How could that erase the memory of the ECU?
I was just browsing the service manual... what they said is partially true. It does say that a new ECU must detect the presence of the TC switch within the first 5 ignition cycles, otherwise it is locked out indefinitely, and can only be reset by Lotus Cars (presumably with a reflash).

So, not entirely true; not entirely false. At the very least it doesn't seem like you need a new ECU; just a "reset by Lotus Cars".
The stuff above is correct.

ALL ECUs come with the TC enabled (or at least the ones that came after TC was an option - i.e. late '05 cars and up). If the ECU does not detect the TC switch within a certain number of cycles (apparently 5) then it disables the TC functions in the ECU - this prevents people from adding their own switch and getting TC for free.

TC can be added to cars that did not originally come with it by installing the switch (and harness) and reflashing the ECU (note not a new version of the program, just re-installing the existing software). In this case, all the dealer had to do was to do a reflash to the ECU (just like they do when there is an updated release of the ECU software) and send you on your way. They may or may not have charged you for the labor time, since you did disable the TC by leaving it disconnected, but that is much different than selling you a new ECU. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stuff above is correct.

ALL ECUs come with the TC enabled (or at least the ones that came after TC was an option - i.e. late '05 cars and up). If the ECU does not detect the TC switch within a certain number of cycles (apparently 5) then it disables the TC functions in the ECU - this prevents people from adding their own switch and getting TC for free.

TC can be added to cars that did not originally come with it by installing the switch (and harness) and reflashing the ECU (note not a new version of the program, just re-installing the existing software). In this case, all the dealer had to do was to do a reflash to the ECU (just like they do when there is an updated release of the ECU software) and send you on your way. They may or may not have charged you for the labor time, since you did disable the TC by leaving it disconnected, but that is much different than selling you a new ECU. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info mullen.

Unfortunately i didnt originally do it. But i see how they cant go off that. Mistake on my side. Its such an easy fix as a reflash i still think its not very customer friendly to act like its a big deal and try and charge me for it.

Im hoping the oil leak is fixed and im running as far away as possible and never looking back. :panic:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had both my cars serviced at mag and they always have done what I asked except for the rattling roof on the last car which they weather stripped. But one thing I always do is talk direct with the mechanic and ask/show me what they did as I'm interested. Also, I have had the same guy working on it.

Actually, the 240 is there today for 1k service, random stahling, window rattling so we will see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts