The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post on the official board about warranty work and got an answer Im not too happy with.

When I visited Clyde earlier this year he indicated that Lotus will probably approve a local shop to do warranty work for those who dont live near a Lotus dealer.

I asked this question and the Lotus Admin said I'll need to take the car to a Lotus dealer for any work done.

Im not very enthused at the moment. I dont think Im going to be too happy if I have to pay to have my car professionally hauled hundreds of miles should it break down or need work. Additionally I'll have to retrieve the car, either fly in and drive it back myself, hundreds of miles, or have it flat bedded back again. Im not too happy about this, in fact something like that would make me rethink the car just a little.

Im glad I dont live in Alaska like that one fellow on this forum. :(

Im not too happy about this, in fact something like that would make me rethink the car just a little.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Under most manufacturers warranties, any car that requires warranty work, all towing should be paid by the dealer to have the car towed to the nearest dealer. If the nearest dealer is 200 miles away, that is Lotus' problem, not yours.

I dont know if this is the case for lotus, but this is the case with other car manufacturers that I have had to deal with.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I believe under most automotive warranties if the car is not driveable the work can be done at a local shop as needed.

That said, I'd expect them to setup authorized servicing franchises as they have in UK, ie, they don't sell cars but are factory authorized to work on them. No way 40 odd dealers can keep these cars serviced in a timely manner, especially after a few years of sales.
Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I thought I read something about Toyota dealers being authorized to work on the cars. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw that, so I don't know if it was just speculation.

I'm concerned about the service/warranty situation, even though I'm fortunate enough to have a local dealer. If they turn out to be no good, I'd like to have alternatives.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Chris: It would just give me peace of mind to have more than one option. Of course I would prefer a great Lotus dealership to work on the car. Unfortunately I'm skeptical about the local dealership, I explained why in my post under "Dealers and Shops": http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=878.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Cone:
I'm pretty sure as mentioned that Lotus will establish "authorized servicing dealers" throughout the US. This works well for quality repair shops and also gives Lotus some degree of control over the work.

This has long been a practice of Lotus in the UK.

Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Im not too happy about this, in fact something like that would make me rethink the car just a little.
I guess I'm lucky that my dealership is "only" about a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house... but hopefully this situation changes for the sake of those of you who don't have that convenience. However, I would take what "Lotus Admin" says with a grain of salt until it is confirmed by Clyde or someone else who has more direct info as Lotus Admin has been wrong in the past.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
With less then 40 dealers in the U.S., yeah that could be a major PITA. With the higher volume Lotus is looking at, pretty sure they'll work something out. Being early adapters, we'll have to deal with the growing pains. Easy for me to say have a local dealer 20min SW & another 20min north.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts