The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading (probably in these forums) that Lotus was officially involved in the preliminary design of the Alfa Romeo 4C based on the Elise. Then Alfa Romeo and Lotus decided to split apart and Alfa Romeo continued on their own to production. Is this true? I cannot find this information anywhere.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't believe this is the case. I've read a ton about the 4C and have never heard this. Although the car is often compared to an Elise for being a beautiful, simple, lightweight, mid-engined car. It's been said that Alfa spent the majority of their development budget on the carbon tub, and then had to cut corners elsewhere. Some common examples of this include the rear suspension and head unit.

I would put the Elise/Exige, the Alfa 4C and the Alpine A110 all in the same sort of group. The latter two being the closest modern spiritual successors to our cars. It blows my mind how well how the Elise has aged. Still looks so so good...

·
Administrator
Exige S260
1,962 Posts
@Verichai

Our cars are timeless. To put it in perspective, I am currently working on a 2017 3-Eleven... same chassis as our Elise / Exige but way more aerodynamic body.

·
Registered
335 Posts
it's the Motec C127 that was a factory option
I wonder if that's why that screen has been dropped from the latest software version for the Garw. They might not like someone copying that closely.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
The Alfa 4C is 100 percent Italian in design and fabrication. The car cost Alfa way more than what it sold for. Alfa used the 4C as their re-introduction of Alfa Romeo in the US market. Instead of advertising their brand on TV, they decided to use the 4C as their advertisement. I heard that just the carbon tub cost Alfa Romeo $45,000.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just died a little of jealousy, those two are beautiful. Whats funny is Id probably just about never drive the alfa, although thats said having never driven one. I also might love my elise a bit more as its got the honda engine, it really woke it up, not much more overall hp, but a much longer powerband. Not to mention the family thing, it was my fathers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also own both and love them although I can't claim the same color scheme (kinda jealous about that). I have an Isotope Green 09 Elise and a 16 Basalt Grey Alfa 4C Spider. The Alfa really does feel like a "modern" Elise although there's something to be said about rowing your own gears and the handling. Both very special cars to drive!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I just died a little of jealousy, those two are beautiful. Whats funny is Id probably just about never drive the alfa, although thats said having never driven one. I also might love my elise a bit more as its got the honda engine, it really woke it up, not much more overall hp, but a much longer powerband. Not to mention the family thing, it was my fathers.
Any pictures of that Honda swap?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any pictures of that Honda swap?
I thought I put them in my album/garage. I did it for my dad after he blew the zz2, both he and I are honda freaks. I rewired the whole rear end including a new fuse/relay box as the factory main relay is failure prone and Im not a big fan of piggy back stuff, more failure points.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also own both and love them although I can't claim the same color scheme (kinda jealous about that). I have an Isotope Green 09 Elise and a 16 Basalt Grey Alfa 4C Spider. The Alfa really does feel like a "modern" Elise although there's something to be said about rowing your own gears and the handling. Both very special cars to drive!
Lucky guys! I lust for the Alfa 4C, but my consolation is a Cayman GTS.
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG

·
Registered
850 Posts
I may be wrong, but I heard that when Alfa / FCA were doing the original planning of the 4C, Lotus (Engineering) did pitch to be a supplier i.e. their chassis... I'm guessing it would have been a version of the scalable VVA chassis that underpins the Evora, not the older 111 chassis.

Unlike GM Europe (Opel / Vauxhall) or Tesla, I doubt the Italians would want Lotus to be more than a component supplier & actually build the car, as they already have experts in building low volume sportscars.

Anyways, even if true, Lotus didn't get the gig, as the chassis is carbon ( made by Dallara ?) and the 4C stayed very Italian. The carbon chassis isn't much lighter than Lotus' alloy job, but they did go to alloy rear subframe instead of steel (which Lotus tried in the 90's but couldn't manage the heat transfer from the drivetrain)

What is correct, is Alfa took a VERY close look at the Elise .... so many aspects of it are a 'carbon copy', from overall lay-out, to details like the soft top. By contrast the Alpine A110, definitely seems a step-on from the Elise in most ways, but with a similar spirit.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,393 Posts
I just added to my original build post for my Elise, I started it a while back, but had trouble getting pictures to work, old format? Its under 07 Elise K20 build. not sure how to make that link easily
Here you go. 07 Elise K20 build

San

1 - 20 of 27 Posts