The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I remember reading (probably in these forums) that Lotus was officially involved in the preliminary design of the Alfa Romeo 4C based on the Elise. Then Alfa Romeo and Lotus decided to split apart and Alfa Romeo continued on their own to production. Is this true? I cannot find this information anywhere.
back to the original question. My understanding is yes, Lotus did much of the work, and they often do design for others. I remember an interview with CEO Gales ~2014, he mentioned that the CF tub of the Alpha only saved a few kilos over the aluminum tub but was much more expensive, so lotus chose to stay with that. But I don't know of anything explicitly saying they designed it.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
There are videos around explaining the making and design of the 4C. Nobody in the video mentions Lotus having to do anything with the Alfa 4C.

·
Registered
170 Posts
back to the original question. My understanding is yes, Lotus did much of the work, and they often do design for others. I remember an interview with CEO Gales ~2014, he mentioned that the CF tub of the Alpha only saved a few kilos over the aluminum tub but was much more expensive, so lotus chose to stay with that. But I don't know of anything explicitly saying they designed it.
Yes, Lotus can provide Engineering but it didn't for the AR 4c. The CF tub was made by a third party vendor with ties to other manufacturers and the 4c was actually built at a Maserati plant

·
Registered
438 Posts
@Verichai

Our cars are timeless. To put it in perspective, I am currently working on a 2017 3-Eleven... same chassis as our Elise / Exige but way more aerodynamic body.
The 2-11 is considered to be somewhat of a brick aerodynamically due to the open top.
The Exige is a far better option .

·
Supporting Vendor
4,197 Posts
I know the FCA and Mazda had a tie up that resulted in a Fiat 124. This was originally supposed to be an Alfa Spyder. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great car photos posted here with matching colors.
Regarding the Alfa Romeo 4C, I recently met Elisa, the girl which the Lotus Elise is named after, and she claims that Lotus was not involved at all in the design of the 4C. There was a Louts Elise at the Alfa development site and it was obviously studied thoroughly so there are many similarities but it ends there.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Just test drove 2 $C's yesterday. The used 2016 Coupe had alignment issues and tracked terribly. The Loaded 2020 Spider I drove was VERY nice but the at the limit handling is no where near as confidence inspiring as my Elise was. Came away thinking they missed a bit esp for the 86+K they wanted for the loaded one I drove. Just a bit too darty...did I say loud?...more than I remember my Elise being as well. Yea its damn quick in a straight line but I left the experience glad I didn't do an impulse purchase!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts