The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I remember reading (probably in these forums) that Lotus was officially involved in the preliminary design of the Alfa Romeo 4C based on the Elise. Then Alfa Romeo and Lotus decided to split apart and Alfa Romeo continued on their own to production. Is this true? I cannot find this information anywhere.
back to the original question. My understanding is yes, Lotus did much of the work, and they often do design for others. I remember an interview with CEO Gales ~2014, he mentioned that the CF tub of the Alpha only saved a few kilos over the aluminum tub but was much more expensive, so lotus chose to stay with that. But I don't know of anything explicitly saying they designed it.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
There are videos around explaining the making and design of the 4C. Nobody in the video mentions Lotus having to do anything with the Alfa 4C.

·
Registered
170 Posts
back to the original question. My understanding is yes, Lotus did much of the work, and they often do design for others. I remember an interview with CEO Gales ~2014, he mentioned that the CF tub of the Alpha only saved a few kilos over the aluminum tub but was much more expensive, so lotus chose to stay with that. But I don't know of anything explicitly saying they designed it.
Yes, Lotus can provide Engineering but it didn't for the AR 4c. The CF tub was made by a third party vendor with ties to other manufacturers and the 4c was actually built at a Maserati plant

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Registered
439 Posts
@Verichai

Our cars are timeless. To put it in perspective, I am currently working on a 2017 3-Eleven... same chassis as our Elise / Exige but way more aerodynamic body.
The 2-11 is considered to be somewhat of a brick aerodynamically due to the open top.
The Exige is a far better option .

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
I know the FCA and Mazda had a tie up that resulted in a Fiat 124. This was originally supposed to be an Alfa Spyder. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great car photos posted here with matching colors.
Regarding the Alfa Romeo 4C, I recently met Elisa, the girl which the Lotus Elise is named after, and she claims that Lotus was not involved at all in the design of the 4C. There was a Louts Elise at the Alfa development site and it was obviously studied thoroughly so there are many similarities but it ends there.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Just test drove 2 $C's yesterday. The used 2016 Coupe had alignment issues and tracked terribly. The Loaded 2020 Spider I drove was VERY nice but the at the limit handling is no where near as confidence inspiring as my Elise was. Came away thinking they missed a bit esp for the 86+K they wanted for the loaded one I drove. Just a bit too darty...did I say loud?...more than I remember my Elise being as well. Yea its damn quick in a straight line but I left the experience glad I didn't do an impulse purchase!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is what my friend who tracks the Alfa Romeo 4C thinks as well. Originally the 4C handles much worse than the Elise but with some mods like camber arms and especially an external ECU it becomes 40 HP stronger which gives it the advantage. Unfortunately there is not even a stage 1 for the "EURO6 compliant" ECU of the 2018 Elise. This ECU is blocked and I don't want to use an external ECU.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I also own a 4C with the track package and it handles very good from factory. The initial model year had some alignment issues that Alfa adressed on later years. I have a stage 2 tune and the car is very fast with this tune. It's basically an intake and a retune and gives you 300 plus HP. I'm super happy with my 4C as well as my Lotus Elise SC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know what made people thinking that Lotus helped FCA with 4c - every small light midengine car with transverse engine is Lotus related?
Pontiac Fiero too? 😅
I guess if Lotus was realy involved in 4c - its suspension would be better designed and executed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know what made people thinking that Lotus helped FCA with 4c - every small light midengine car with transverse engine is Lotus related?
Pontiac Fiero too? 😅
I guess if Lotus was realy involved in 4c - its suspension would be better designed and executed.
Oooh burn. Accurate but mean at the same time. I have both cars. I still prefer how much more nimble my Elise is. Actually now that my Elise has some Penskes on it, it's probably the best handling car of the bunch right now, hands down.

Quickest sprinter? The Alfa 4C DCT makes it so easy to consistently get to 100 the fastest from a stop. These are primarily street cars so no point thinking about performance past that.

I love my cars, just want to drive them again but waiting for a freshly separated clavicle to heal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not too hard and not terribly expensive to improve 4c suspension and make it handle really great.
Ditching those crappy Pirellis is a #1 step.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts