The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys Its rey i posted about pickin up my new S a few days ago. any how i drove it back home today. it was a good 400 mile trip.
Car has gotten a little dirty.
Uhhhm with the rear of the exige is it okay to wash?
I mean wont water and soap get all into the motor area? or is that okay?:shrug:

P.s i get free car washes at a local laser wash with obviously high pressurized water.. is it okay to take the exige their without damaging it?
btw drive home was a blast!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Only hand wash or hand spray the car. Getting water into the engine bay is fine as far as where it naturally runs and drips. Do not spray into the bay without taking care of hitting electronic stuff.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
P.s i get free car washes at a local laser wash with obviously high pressurized water.. is it okay to take the exige their without damaging it?btw drive home was a blast!
Just say NO to high pressure washes with this car!:no:

Congrats on your car, don't forget to post pics after you finish washing her! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only hand wash or hand spray the car. Getting water into the engine bay is fine as far as where it naturally runs and drips. Do not spray into the bay without taking care of hitting electronic stuff.
It's even more fun to hand wash it. With this you know every detail of your baby soon and it's getting cleaner anyway.
Have fun with your new toy ;)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've been using "high pressure" coin washes exclusively on both my Elise and Exige, including engine bay, since '04 with zero problems.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I cover my engine and electronics with towels before washing. Just a tip.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I've been using "high pressure" coin washes exclusively on both my Elise and Exige, including engine bay, since '04 with zero problems.

Yep. As long as you do it by hand as I noted. You can keep the spray not too close and away from the edges of the starshield. But the OP mentioned a laser car wash, which I assume is one that you don't do by hand. And I can't imagine letting an Elise/Exige drive into some automatic wash thing.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Here is what I have done since day 1 with my current and former Exige...

I take one of those cheap plastic tarps you use when repainting your home so paint doesn't splatter on the floor and fold it so that it fits over the engine and intercooler. I actually drape it so that it gets into the gutters where the lid meets the clam. This works as a great barrier so water doesn't get into the engine or electronics.

One thing to keep in mind though, if you should do this, is to make sure the engine is not hot.

It is probably fine that water gets in the engine compartment but it can create some detailing issues if you are into that. I also use the plastic just so I know that water isn't getting into sensors, connectors or wiring. I'd rather spend a minute to fold plastic and take a precaution than to have a big problem later on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How do you handle waxing when your car has Starshield? I assume you just skip those areas, but won't that make the Starshield stand out even more than it already does?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
How do you handle waxing when your car has Starshield? I assume you just skip those areas, but won't that make the Starshield stand out even more than it already does?
No not at all. You can put a wax on the starshield. Of course it isn't paint so it wont be affected like paint but at least (depending on the product you use) will cause the water to bead up and put some added uv protection on the Star Shield.

Just be careful around the edges - if you use a product that is visible and leave residue, it will likely build up on the edges but if you are careful and use Q-Tips or a good micro fiber towel, you can get it out. I put Zaino on my car and use that on the Starshield and even glass areas.

A good tip with most waxes - less is more. You don't have to put so much on that is cakes up or is obviously applied. A thin layer is usually all that is necessary.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i commented about this on another thread but i'll share this again. i run mine through an automated car wash once a week and it's perfectly ok. the high pressure water doesn't come into the car and it doesn't fry the electrical under the rear engine cover. even the high flow air jets at the end of the car wash don't cause problems for my car. and unlike many nay-sayers, i've actually done this over 20 times without issue.

the thing to look out for is making sure your front chin spoiler clears the tire track. also, i'm not a fan of automatic brissles. if the car wash has a row of guys with soapy mits, that'll serve you much better.

again, to each their own and nothing beats hand washing it yourself. but contrary to popular belief on this forum, your exige will not blow up if you run it through an automated car wash.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Do you think you can make a blanket statement that any automatic car wash is fine for the Exige? I am not talking about spraying water at it (as I said, that is not an issue). I had things torn off other cars... eventually car washes learn certain types of cars are problematic (they tape down certain wipers, remove certain antennas, etc). But the Lotus is a car that has probably not been run through that car wash. If you do determine one works okay... that is cool. But I will not consider it being a naysayer because in general, it is not considered a good idea. Plus I think it voids the warranty on Starshield.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I agree with what Randy just said.

In addition, I wouldn't proclaim a car wash is safe just because it is done by hand either. Those people who are using towels on it may have used those towels on multiple vehicles before you - trapping particals and contaminants which is like using sand paper on your finish.

Have you ever just looked at an angle at some cars on a sunny day and seen the swirls and spiderwebbing. The majority of time this happens is from the towels used to clean or dry a car not being appropriate or properly maintained.

The point of keeping your car clean is to maintain it and keep it looking good. It doesn't help if what your doing is counter productive. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Gotta use the "two-bucket method" and microfiber towels. That technique must help somewhat to prevent swirls from washing. The second bucket is filthy by the end of the wash, and as such you should be dumping it out before it gets that dirty and refilling with fresh.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I cover my engine and electronics with towels before washing. Just a tip.
+1

I take my car to Royal Car Wash in Beverly Hills. The owner also owns an Elise. They always make sure to cover up the rear vents before hand washing the car.

No power-sprayer either. Use a hose at low pressure to rinse.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wing tip (pun intended)

I have a lot of water dripping from the wing tips after washing... it leaves stains on the rear clam, so what I do is after I wash & dry it, I put plastic bags over them ( there are some ziplocks that fit well...)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I ran my old (sold) MINI Cooper through a car wash as shown above. Had vinyl stripes. Power washer peeled up the side of one, and actually tore a chunk off another part.

Avoid auto washes if you care about your car...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

i commented about this on another thread but i'll share this again. i run mine through an automated car wash once a week and it's perfectly ok. the high pressure water doesn't come into the car and it doesn't fry the electrical under the rear engine cover. even the high flow air jets at the end of the car wash don't cause problems for my car. and unlike many nay-sayers, i've actually done this over 20 times without issue.

the thing to look out for is making sure your front chin spoiler clears the tire track. also, i'm not a fan of automatic brissles. if the car wash has a row of guys with soapy mits, that'll serve you much better.

again, to each their own and nothing beats hand washing it yourself. but contrary to popular belief on this forum, your exige will not blow up if you run it through an automated car wash.

Myself, I respect my Exige far too much to have someone else clean it, touch it, or risk it by running it through an automatic wash.

If you do not appreciate or respect the value, status, and ownership of a Lotus, then so be it - that really does say a lot about where you stand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Myself, I respect my Exige far too much to have someone else clean it, touch it, or risk it by running it through an automatic wash.
+1

the ride is low and car is tiny, takes very little effort to wash by hands. and you get to feel its curvy body, smooth, sexy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts