The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is not a repost. I did a quick search and found nothing.

I saw a yahoo video headline that interviews a guy with an Avalanche who installed one of these kits and claims that his mpg went from 8/20 to 20/40!

I did a quick search trying to find out if it is a hoax. Seems too good to be true...but wouldn't it be great if it were?

Good Morning Yahoo!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Can I be the first to call Shenanigans?

I think someone with 2 mason jars, some wire, some bolts, and some baking soda to sell for $85 and the instructions for $95 is behind it. Be nice if it wasn't. But it would not of been hard for the news station to actually do "journalism" and not just say- "this guy said he got better MPG"

Maybe Mythbusters will do a show on mpg scam contraptions.

Now a diesel/electric hybrid with solar panel roof, hood, and trunk- THERE we would see some mileage.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I call bull****. :rolleyes:

You can't get something for nothing and all you're doing here is taking chemical energy from the gas you bought, converting it to mechanical energy from the engine, converting it to electrical energy in the alternator, then converting it to chemical energy again (when the current hydrolyses the water to form hydrogen gas and oxygen, then feeding that back into your antique IC engine. Except every time you convert energy from one form to another you "pay" a commision in the form of lost energy.

If this *was* true, why isn't every manufacturer in the world putting in their cars, especially since the process isn't even patentable. (according to their website) Water Car Run on WATER+Fuel. Hydrogen Save Gas=FREE ENERGY!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Study the biographies of Nicolas Tesla and you will find there are many power sources we are not privy too, as well as many advanced technologies. Free energy, or very low cost energy = freedom. Dependence on government/centrally provided energy equals scarcity, high cost and control.

If you could tap an energy source the size of a breadbox that would power your home it would mean you could live anywhere. Our owners prefer us contained, taxed, and stupid.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
in order for this to even be REMOTELY possible the hydrogen would need to combine with something other than Oxygen and release alot more energy(atleast 100X given the efficiencies of the various processes) than what it takes to break the bond between oxygen and hydrogen in water...

so I doubt it

but there is some supercar manufacturer thats putting it in their car... I forget which one I think its the scorpion probably wrong tho

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Maybe Mythbusters will do a show on mpg scam contraptions.

They already did that.... none of 'em worked ! Just get a VW TDI I get 62 mpg hwy.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But it would not of been hard for the news station to actually do "journalism" and not just say- "this guy said he got better MPG"
Yes. That is what disappointed me the most!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is a couple years old guys. This guy made a trip from Cali to FL. on a couple gallons of water. Is it real? If it was Exxon probably already took him out. I could see Hydrogen power but if any water gets through in this senario you've got cylinder head problems I'm thinking like a bad head gasket.
YouTube - Water power

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
That's incredible! Are they 50 state legal?
I don't know if they sold them in Kalifornia for a few years because they were diesels and emitted too much pollution while getting 62 mpg :rolleyes:

But yes, the 99-03 VW diesels (Golf/Jetta) can achieve incredible MPG numbers if you drive properly.

As for the water for gas scam... all I have to say about that is:

:thwack::wallbang::no:

... unless you wanna buy a kit. Then I'll cut you a deal and throw in a Tornado air spinner thing, a bottle of Zmax, and some triple-distilled snake oil for only $19.95! But wait! Call within the next 5 minutes and I'll DOUBLE your order! :D 4:59... 4:58...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
But yes, the 99-03 VW diesels (Golf/Jetta) can achieve incredible MPG numbers if you drive properly.
I short shift mine all the time ( about 2200 rpm ) and get 45-50 in the city. Highway--70 mph all the time for 62 mpg. ( 03 Golf TDI )

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
They already did that.... none of 'em worked ! Just get a VW TDI I get 62 mpg hwy.
I do miss my 1986 Golf Diesel. Got 52 MPG. So dumb of me to get rid of it. I only gave $1000 and a Ford Fiesta for it (that I paid $200 for an painted bright orange) and it was in absolutely perfect shape.:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

Getting 700+ miles on one tank had it's own beauty all about it, when gas wasn't even very high. Being non turbo though it was a whole lotta slow. (about as slow as a Scion XB) Amazing how nice the new turbo ones are, quiet, etc and still get as good or better mileage now.

Like I said before. VW make a "prius" A hybrid diesel/electric vehicle, with a solar roof and the ability to plug in at night and I'm sure 100 MPG would be a walk in the park, and no limited range problems of current electric vehicle tech.

While the pipe dream of running vehicles on water sounds great in theory- we are already going to be facing water supply problems in the near future anyway. It sounds nice but would be scary to see the impact on the worlds water supply the way using ethanol for a percentage of fuel has impacted the worlds food supply and prices. (unless salt water was an option)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dfj1O45qZ5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dfj1O45qZ5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
This is a couple years old guys. This guy made a trip from Cali to FL. on a couple gallons of water. Is it real? If it was Exxon probably already took him out. I could see Hydrogen power but if any water gets through in this senario you've got cylinder head problems I'm thinking like a bad head gasket.
YouTube - Water power
badass

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully this is not a repost. I did a quick search and found nothing.

I saw a yahoo video headline that interviews a guy with an Avalanche who installed one of these kits and claims that his mpg went from 8/20 to 20/40!

I did a quick search trying to find out if it is a hoax. Seems too good to be true...but wouldn't it be great if it were?

Good Morning Yahoo!
Definately a hoax. I participated in a test funded by a company making hydrogen electrolyzers and installed a very nice and expensive unit on my '98 4Runner. After 1k miles, my mileage went from 18.5mpg to 18.5mpg :crazyeyes.

Changing the way I drive I could get the mileage as high as 21mpg, but on an identical route using cruise control, the mileage was always within 5%. Physics wins again. The good news is it doesn't seem to have done the engine any harm ;).

There is some evidence that injecting hydrogen into a diesel engine can reduce emissions. The company is running tests on that right now.

Marc

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
IBut yes, the 99-03 VW diesels (Golf/Jetta) can achieve incredible MPG numbers if you drive properly.
++

...they're dead-simple biofuel conversions, too...much to my frustration, literally the month before i had to replace my geo back in '99, volkswagen pulled all their turbodiesels from the california market to meet new fleet particulate emission requirements...i'm not sure what the state legislators planned, but their changes that year not only left me without a single new car available for sale from any manufacturer which achieved thirty miles per gallon or better, they killed every viable electric car on the market to boot, and reduced new cars in general to a tiny minority in favor of SUV road tanks...

...i ended up buying a turbobeetle instead, which gets worse fuel economy than my elise, but was the best option available at the time...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dfj1O45qZ5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dfj1O45qZ5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Wow, at first I thought I was watching X-files but then I realized it's just like what I said about the other water guy and Exxon. I laughed, I cried, I give it two thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts