The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched...

Anybody have a problem with water in the trunk? I have a new 240 and noticed that the rear lights had condensation in them. I felt the trunk carpet and it was wet. Took it out, the rubber under it out, and found standing water.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does it happen a lot or is this the first time? When I bought my Elise, I had it shipped several hundred miles on a car carrier in pouring rain. When I inspected it, the carpet in the trunk was soak. I've had the car for over a year now and have never had the problem again dispite driving and parking it in the rain. I think if the car is parked at a certain angle and the water comes in just right, water does get in the trunk. I considered it an isolated incident. If it happens a lot there is a mod you can do by adding a hose to drain the water better. I saw the mod on this site, so you may want to search for it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
check your rubber stoppers that gap the rear hatch. Maybe your hatch isnt latching properly because of the stoppers being out too far.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Don't wash your car with a pressure washer

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought the car and had to drive it for a day in the rain. I then washed the car, I don't know if it was the rain or the wash. I'll wash the car today or tomorrow and see whats up. As a side note, two of the bolts that hold the wing on are rusty as well as a few of the rivets on the floor. My hatch also sits up a bit, the gap looks really big so I'll check the adjustment bumpers as well.

Thanks!
Roy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same problem with my S240 and I live where there is very little rain. A few times before i take my car out I check the trunk and it seems fine, but after iv driven it for a bit and then check the trunk its nearly soaked. The rear tail lights get fogged up...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
The dealer looked at my car at least 3 or 4 times over my leaking trunk. The seal has been replaced, it's been adjusted, etc. Still leaks. It's really only if the rear is down hill and it overflows the seal because the trunk drains are higher than it. It's just something you live with after a few things get ruined in the trunk and you realize you really can't trust it to store anything valuable in there.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Large zip lock bags, keep stuff dry. I keep my registration in the boot taped up and out of the way.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Park level or with the nose down hill when washing or if it’s raining out. Preferably park with the nose down (even just a little bit is fine) when washing.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The dealer looked at my car at least 3 or 4 times over my leaking trunk. The seal has been replaced, it's been adjusted, etc. Still leaks. It's really only if the rear is down hill and it overflows the seal because the trunk drains are higher than it. It's just something you live with after a few things get ruined in the trunk and you realize you really can't trust it to store anything valuable in there.
I made the channel drain after I fried a $600.00 amp. My trunk has been dry ever since. My car's not a daily driver anymore, not sure I even need the boot lid.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It will be the seals around the spoiler... Happens ALL the time over here in the UK. It's been well discussed 100 times over.

Happened on my Exige until I did the following -

Pop the boot, look at the screws that hold the spoiler in (you will probably see some kind of rust), take the spoiler off, replace the rubber seals between the body work and the spoiler, replace spoiler, screw back in with an extra washer. Job done :up:

·
Registered
140 Posts
water in trunk

Dealer Issues take in they know about. I ready took it care of it on mine.
Cheers

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is this a dealer item, or can we pick up what we need at a local Pep Boys/Advance Auto/O'Rileys?

it's a dealer item - not sure of the part number but will look them out. basically black rubber O rings that sit between the spoiler and the bodywork, they decintigrate and water drips through past the bolts and into your trunk.

some people have manufactured them by cutting/trimming similar washers down to size. just make sure you get a snug fit and you screw everything back in nice and tight. :up:

·
Registered
38 Posts
it's a dealer item - not sure of the part number but will look them out. basically black rubber O rings that sit between the spoiler and the bodywork, they decintigrate and water drips through past the bolts and into your trunk.

some people have manufactured them by cutting/trimming similar washers down to size. just make sure you get a snug fit and you screw everything back in nice and tight. :up:
+1

I had the exact problem, I managed to just fill the bolt hole cavity with a Non-acid black sealant.... Didnt have to take the spoiler off :nanner:

·
Registered
159 Posts
water in trunk

I found water in my 2006 Elise trunk as well. The carpet was soaked. I don't believe it happened the first couple of times I washed it with just the hose. The last time I washed it I used a sprayer on the end of the hose so I think that was the culprit as Kestrel pointed out.

Don't wash your car with a pressure washer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was curious about this with an elise..Is it possible to make a lid for the boot ? Like a tupperware top on a hinge kinda dealy ? Just curious

1 - 18 of 18 Posts