The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here in Georgia, the summer temps can get quite unbearable. With such poor airflow to the intercooler, it is tuff to keep it from heat soaking while on the track, even with a 3 way shroud installed. On a hot day, my intake temps would steady out at about 175 degrees F. Now I could certainly go with a water/air intercooler, but that adds complexity, weight up high, and large $'s. So I decided to look into water injection systems.

Now my goal was not to make more power or to be able to use lower octane fuel. It was simply to try and control intake temps... with the added benefit of constantly steam cleaning my cylinders and pistons...

There are quite a few systems to choose from on the market. I decided to go with the AEM 30-3300 system because it has a boost reference manifold pressure sensor built into it. I already had a boost pressure hose installed post intercooler connected to my boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. So I could simply tee into that line for this system. The other nice thing about this system is the ease of changing when the injection begins, and at what point you want it at full spray. So for example, with the dials on the controller you can tell it to start spraying at 2 psi and then be at full spray at 15psi, and it will linearly ramp up the volume between the 2 numbers you choose.

The kit came with 3 different injectors: 250cc/min, 500 cc/min, and a 1000 cc/min. Based on my horsepower, I went with the 500. Also, these injectors come with a built in check valve.

Internet research will provide you plenty of varying opinions on the best location of where to install the injector.

I decided, to meet my goals, to install it before the throttle body, just after the MAF sensor. This will assist in not only cooling the intake air, but also cooling the supercharger itself, which will greatly assist in preventing heat soak.

I then installed the controller, the tank, the inline filter, and the pump in the trunk for easy access. I fab'd some basic stand-offs to mount the tank to the firewall and velcro'd the controller to the carpet.

So by just injecting water, I assumed that I would lose a little power, since I was slowing the flame front during combustion. This was confirmed on the dyno. So, with some very small tweaks to the ignition timing, I was back to where I began (power-wise) before injecting. I also trimmed back a little fuel to get to my target 12:1 at WOT. I have no concern about detonation (with the ignition adjustment) since I am never into boost while driving on the street, and always have the water tank full when I go to the track.

Result? I was able to reduce my max intake temps by 25 degrees F, and more importantly the intercooler does not heat soak. Intake temps simply rise and fall with load. I am sure I could get even better performance with 50/50 water-meth mix, but am very pleased with the results, for such little cost.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Hit the BMW forums, they love a certain brand of windshield washer fluid which has a 50/50 mix of water and methanol. It is frequently more inexpensive to purchase it this way. I think it is the stage 3 (mode 3) JP4 module users who do it to get crazy boost and power out of their 335i engines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice review.

25F....with a slight advance of the map up top, wouldn't that be just enough to raise peak power by a few hp?

I am considering this same AEM system on my high compression (13.4:1) N/A 2zz. Do you know if it can be easily set up to turn on above say, 5500rpm automatically? That would really appeal to me because then I could add the meth and nitrous at the same time, yet I don't have to worry about tinkering with the rest of my beautiful map (which took me many hours to get bang on and economical etc)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if it can be easily set up to turn on above say, 5500rpm automatically?
It can, but you would need to get the model that has the multi input controller. That way you can tie it into your MAF sensor to control when it turns on the spray and the ramp up rate of the spray.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I think I'll definitely get that and install over the winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, with some very small tweaks to the ignition timing, I was back to where I began (power-wise) before injecting.
Interesting post, thanks.
How did you modify the ignition timing? Since it´s a black dash car I´m curious of any alternatives other than replacing the ECU for a programmable unit :crazyeyes

·
Registered
572 Posts
Its always fun seeing a new mod, but this part of your post is definitely concerning.

... I am never into boost while driving on the street...
:rolleyes:

More seriously; injecting water into the supercharger may effect it's longevity. And methane may be even worse if it penetrates into an oil/bearing surface.

Why not use the system to spray water onto the intercooler? You may see the same gains in power stability and reducing heat soak without adding uncertainty inside the engine.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
injecting water into the supercharger may effect it's longevity. And methane may be even worse if it penetrates into an oil/bearing surface.

Why not use the system to spray water onto the intercooler? You may see the same gains in power stability and reducing heat soak without adding uncertainty inside the engine.
As I wrote, I did a lot of research on my own (and not from the internet, as there you will find wildly differing opinions, without supporting data) on the best location to spray. From that, I feel the best place to spray to achieve the most effective cooling is pre-supercharger.

I am now running BOE's Rev400 supercharger with their Hex front water intercooler. And yes, I am still injecting water pre-supercharger. This, in combination with the new motor (which Phil and team at BOE recently built for me) is amazing....

How did you modify the ignition timing? Since it´s a black dash car I´m curious of any alternatives other than replacing the ECU for a programmable unit :crazyeyes

I have the EliseParts ECU. But, I am using it for a very specific reason: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/build-paddleshift-sequential-125777/

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have the EliseParts ECU. But, I am using it for a very specific reason: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/build-paddleshift-sequential-125777/
Wow, and I thought I did a lot of wrenching and custom upgrades, nice work.

I used to have water/methanol injection on my Saab NG900 back in the early 2000's. It sprayed between the throttle body and the turbo. But it was a street car so heat soak was nothing like it is on the track. After a while I got tired of filling up the reservoir and removed it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I am working on installing this in my car as well. I wasn't expecting how much room it would take up....that 1 gallon tank is a monster in this car.

I had the nice Sector111 trunk liner, and that thing is out of the question now :crying: :crying:

I bought one of these from harbor freight to help me and it has been fantastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts