The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading about water, methanol injection, mainly from the snow performance web site and there are a couple things I don't understand. Their FAQ and instructions say this:

The pump needs to be within about 24” (hose length) of the reservoir, and as low or lower than the base of the reservoir. It is a “pusher” pump, not a “puller” pump.
• Engine bay: In the engine bay, the reservoir and pump can be placed almost anywhere, as long as they are not very close to exhaust heat, or in the path of debris from the road. Be sure that the pump is mounted at the same level or below the reservoir and that the reservoir is not located higher than the nozzle. If the reservoir must be located higher than the nozzle, a solenoid upgrade (part number 40060) is required to prevent gravity feed.
• Trunk mounting: This is fine, but again, the pump needs to be close to the reservoir and gravity fed. Lengths of 20-25 ft of tubing to the nozzle are fine. We always recommend a #40060 solenoid for rear-reservoir mounting, including use of the 2.5 gallon reservoir (part number 40014).

So, if I'm understanding this, if the injection ports are lower than the reservoir, which I think would almost always be the case on the esprit, the ports would be seated somewhere in the charge pipes which are coming from the turbos which are mounted really low and the reservoir, which is medium large, three liters, would be mounted near the top of the engine bay. So an anti gravity feed solenoid, or is it two, would be mandatory...

Or, put another way, the ports must be highest, then the reservoir, then the pump the lowest.

Anyone use this, or similar, device?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Haven't used, but all they are saying is that the pump can't suck or create a vacuum. It is a centrifugal pump, it can create pressure and flow only with gravity feeding. The outlet to the intake air needs to be above the tank or the fluid will run down hill to the air intake.

I would think you could mount The tank low in the trunk to help with the physics.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I think I'm being confused by the term "nozzle"; by nozzle, I thought they were referring to the injector jets; they are actually saying the "nozzle" of the pump and if the term is restricted to that definition, then yes, it makes sense. The "nozzle" of the pump must be lower than the reservoir and the jets can be anywhere, including way down low near the intial bend of the turbo charge (compression side) pipes, in respect to the reservoir. I was thinking everything had to be aligned up-hill so to speak; so its rather like this, where the reservoir is at the top, the pump, and its nozzle, below it and typically, but not necessarily, the jets below the pump; the jets are connected to the pump.

I suppose some of those in the know will think of course dummy, how else can it be? but I'm putting these concepts together for the first time; eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you want the sprayers at a level lower than the level in the reservoir unless you have a shutoff of some sort. Even though the pump might not be running when off you end up with gravity feed and fluid running through and dribbling through the sprayers if they are at a level lower than the reservoid fluid level. Unless there is a shutoff, I think you want the pump lower than the reservoir and the sprayers higher than the reservoir.

Knut

ok, I think I'm being confused by the term "nozzle"; by nozzle, I thought they were referring to the injector jets; they are actually saying the "nozzle" of the pump and if the term is restricted to that definition, then yes, it makes sense. The "nozzle" of the pump must be lower than the reservoir and the jets can be anywhere, including way down low near the intial bend of the turbo charge (compression side) pipes, in respect to the reservoir. I was thinking everything had to be aligned up-hill so to speak; so its rather like this, where the reservoir is at the top, the pump, and its nozzle, below it and typically, but not necessarily, the jets below the pump; the jets are connected to the pump.

I suppose some of those in the know will think of course dummy, how else can it be? but I'm putting these concepts together for the first time; eh?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you want the sprayers at a level lower than the level in the reservoir unless you have a shutoff of some sort. Even though the pump might not be running when off you end up with gravity feed and fluid running through and dribbling through the sprayers if they are at a level lower than the reservoid fluid level. Unless there is a shutoff, I think you want the pump lower than the reservoir and the sprayers higher than the reservoir.

Knut
cool, that makes sense.... That was the purpose of the solenoid(s)... thanks everyone...

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I have it on my car...you need the solenoid then the injectors can be lower than the tank or the pump.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have it on my car...you need the solenoid then the injectors can be lower than the tank or the pump.
Excellent, thanks for confirmation; so, you have the reservoir in the engine bay, opposite the header tank, the pump lower in the boot and the jets down low near the initial bend of the charge pipes? what size jets did you finalize on? Oh, and my Stage 2 is arriving tomorrow...
and what level of ECU are you running? HT or RR? did you upgrade replace your boost capsules and what color springs? sorry, many questions...

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Tank goes in the engine bay opposite of the coolant tank. Pump goes in the trunk opposite of the battery (all the way in). Jets slightly lower, 1 inch below the bov's. 60mm jets. HT ecu and forge motorsport capsules, the lowest spring ( i think it's 7 psi) with a little preload. You must dial in the meth injection for optimal a/f otherwise you may loose a lot of power due to car running way too rich (spaying too much). Johan ECU might be slightly better when using meth injection. Not sure about red ecu.

Excellent, thanks for confirmation; so, you have the reservoir in the engine bay, opposite the header tank, the pump lower in the boot and the jets down low near the initial bend of the charge pipes? what size jets did you finalize on? Oh, and my Stage 2 is arriving tomorrow...
and what level of ECU are you running? HT or RR? did you upgrade replace your boost capsules and what color springs? sorry, many questions...

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick note... Make sure to order the dual nozzle upgrade; std kit from snow comes with one nozzle and two large jets; both too large; causes quenching

1 - 10 of 10 Posts