The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 Elise. Doesn't like heavy rain. Twice after driving in rain the driver side floor mat was soaked. Is this a Lotus thing or is it something that should be tracked down and fixed? If the former I will buy an extra mat so one can be in the laundry after every rainy trip. If the latter, is there a fix? Is this common? Any info on potential common leak paths would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Definitely not a Lotus thing.
Michael
07 Elise. Doesn't like heavy rain. Twice after driving in rain the driver side floor mat was soaked. Is this a Lotus thing or is it something that should be tracked down and fixed? If the former I will buy an extra mat so one can be in the laundry after every rainy trip. If the latter, is there a fix? Is this common? Any info on potential common leak paths would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
er......have you tried putting the top on??????

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
My 2005 Elise leaked near the front top of the windows (and rear of the windows sometimes) and the underside of the driver's floor mat was wetter than the passenger side because I parked on a slight hill that tilted left. There was never a total solution, but adjusting the windows helped. This usually happened after parking in the rain for a period of time, overnight for example, and the mats would stay wet for a few days. Check the window seals with a hose to see if this is part of your problem. I could see rainwater come in while driving, but not enough that it would puddle, so my situation may not have been as leaky as yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did an exploratory. Here's what I see.

1) water is in drivers footwell only. None under seat nor passenger side.
2) Sill carpet (vertical pc) is not wet except bottom where it touched bottom carpet.
3) There was no visible water on top of sill while driving. 2&3 should mean water did not
flow over sill. I came from floor of footwell (I think).
4) Engine compartment doesn't seem to have drain tube (maybe changed from older
models). Just a couple drain holes from the gutter into the engine bay.
5) Front gutter under edge of d/s service panel just dumps into (I think) front crashbox.
6) No visible water around door while driving. Door seems to seal on outside of sill / frame
rail. I don't get how there could be a leak path from door seal into footwell.
7) My feet or legs did not get water on them. Don't think it dripped from around pedal
feed throughs in bulkhead.
8) Glue bead in left front corner of floor (from inside the car) seems to have a 1/2" void
right in the corner.
8) Jacked up left side and looked at glue beads around this corner. All seems fine there
although this area is the main suspect. It is right near the front tire and a lot of water
would be thrown against this 3 or 4 way joint. But to look with lights and mirrors I
can't see any smoking gun.
9) Both instances it happened during driving, not while parked.
10) Car was never parked any way other than dead level after rains.
11) Top was up whole time it rained.

Any more thoughts? It takes weeks to get a service appointment and it's going to rain for at least the next 4 days. Maybe another month.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Now I rolled the car out and got out a garden hose. Sprayed from the side all around the d/s door & window. No intrusion here. Sprayed a lot in the wheel well and deliberately at the floor seam... as much as I could for 2 or 3 minutes. No intrusion.

Then I removed the service panel (d/s) and squirted water in around the master cylinder, etc. I got leakage that dripped down from the top of the pedal bracket (pedal box, whatever). It flowed down the bulkhead and dripped down the accel pedal. Is this a fair test? I know this panel is in place while driving but it is not sealed from the radiator area. Rain water can get into the area where I sprayed, albeit not as much as I provided with a hose. Have I pinpointed the problem or should I button up the service panel and look elsewhere?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Someone on SELOC had posted about an issue with a seal under the front access panel that drains water away from the windshield thats on the drivers side and you only had flooding on that side.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone on SELOC had posted about an issue with a seal under the front access panel that drains water away from the windshield thats on the drivers side and you only had flooding on that side.
Thx I googled SELOC, found it, registered, logged in, searched for water leak, windshield seal... no luck.

Could you point me to it (they may not have provision for direct link) or at least a search phrase that will find this elusive thread?

·
Registered
236 Posts
SELOC Post Quote "When I first got my car the footwell filled up with water, took it back to the dealer who found one of the seals under the front access panels of the car was missing. The rain was running down the windscreen and straight into the footwell. They gunned in some sealant and no bother since "

Link
SELOC Forums

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SELOC Post Quote "When I first got my car the footwell filled up with water, took it back to the dealer who found one of the seals under the front access panels of the car was missing. The rain was running down the windscreen and straight into the footwell. They gunned in some sealant and no bother since "

Link
SELOC Forums
Thx a bunch. That's good enough to tell the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts