The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of having my local machine shop make the Lotus "special tool" for setting the seal in the 910 engine water pump. This tool has not been available for quite a while and it is really darn near impossible to rebuild the water pump and properly seat the seal without the tool. I do not have a price yet, but expect to get one in a day or two. The machinist has a model in hand now.

If you interested let me know and I will contact you with the price. I will charge whatever the machinist charges me - I am not doing thi to make any money. Shipping within the US will be nominal, since the tool is small and light and can be sent in one of those USPS "ships anywhere" small boxes.

If you want to contact me directly I am at [email protected] and also on the TurboEsprit listserv.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The manual says the pump should be replaced as a unit, not rebuilt. Why go to the trouble or are new pumps not available?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pump Rebuild

Waters pumps are routinely rebuilt, either by Lotus service providers (e.g. JAE) or owners who do their own maintenance. A new water from Lotus is about $600. You can buy rebuilt units in England for about $200 but the shipping is expensive and there is ambiguity about whether or not you have to pay duty - sometimes people get charged, sometimes not. Last I checked getting one rebuilt in the U.S. is also about $200 plus shipping your old core to the rebuilder and paying for the shipping to get the new rebuilt pump sent to you. Almost all Lotus parts providers (e.g. JAE. RD, Dave Bean, etc.) sell water pump rebuild kits which consist of a new shaft\bearing assemble and a seal. The tool is required to accurately seat the seal in the housing casting that makes up the body of the pump.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The manual says the pump should be replaced as a unit, not rebuilt. Why go to the trouble or are new pumps not available?
Car manufacture's are only required to make parts available for ten years... after that you on your own. Vintage aluminium castings for '80's cars are no longer made so all you can get is bearings and seals which are most common sizes for other applications. The casting is the most important part.

For certain vintage cars like Lotus these are 'Drying up' and no longer available to replace as 'New' or ' Rebuilt' units. To the 'Old School' this is 'common sense' but for those learning it's a serious issue/ lesson.

:sheep:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks. $600 is much more than I remember for other car's H2O pumps and makes rebuilding the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts