The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is the average water temp. you guys are getting...??

Just bought a used 2005 Elise and it shows around 195...is that kind of hight??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds about right. On a warm day in traffic, or "chugging" up a canyon at 20-30 mph (up hill) I will get up around 220. Once you get some air moving it cools down nicely. Do you have 1 or 2 oil coolers? I have 2.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
it's in the manual... normally 185ish on the freeway, it goes up in stop&go. radiator fans turn on half speed at 209F (should go down after that), fans full speed at ___ (something higher than 209) and it starts blinking at you at an even higher temp

195 is fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just wondering what is the average water temp. you guys are getting...??

Just bought a used 2005 Elise and it shows around 195...is that kind of hight??
Temps are still relatively cool in NE. At 70F or so, I am running low 180's at speed and high 180's in stop and go traffic. Two oil coolers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys!

1 or 2 oil coolers? Is that an option on new car? 195 seems high to me cuz my 1995 m3 stays at about 180 at all condition except after track sessions (close to 200+) and whenever it hits 220 then it is going to overheat soon...

damn it.....those Lotus are so new to me......

·
Registered
545 Posts
All early 05s have two oil coolers up front. Later into production only cars equipped with "sport pack" had two coolers. My car is an earlier one, head out to your garage and see if you have a cooler on each side of the front end!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Mine normally runs between 187 and 194 with ambient temperatures from 60F to 110F. The highest I've seen was 209 last July 4th while ascending out of Salt River Canyon with ambient temp around 105F.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I noticed that my Elise gets hotter, quicker than the Exige S. Most likely due to the fact that the Exige is intercooled.

The temp in the Elise has gone as high as 215. That was during 110 degree heat in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thanks for the replys!

1 or 2 oil coolers? Is that an option on new car? 195 seems high to me cuz my 1995 m3 stays at about 180 at all condition except after track sessions (close to 200+) and whenever it hits 220 then it is going to overheat soon...

damn it.....those Lotus are so new to me......
the logic of your comparison is a bit baffling. what temp does your M3 manual say you should see in your lotus?

:D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you want to turn on your fans earlier then you can quickly flip on the AC (make sure you push the button as well). The fans will automatically start and won't quit until you turn the car off.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If you want to turn on your fans earlier then you can quickly flip on the AC (make sure you push the button as well). The fans will automatically start and won't quit until you turn the car off.
On that note are the fans REALLY loud on your car when you do this as well? I rarely used the a/c until a few weeks ago and man is it loud.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
On that note are the fans REALLY loud on your car when you do this as well? I rarely used the a/c until a few weeks ago and man is it loud.
that fan whines like a banshee

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
195 seems high to me cuz my 1995 m3 stays at about 180
Actually 195 is just about perfect. Most all cars made in the last 20 or 30 years have 195 degree thermostats. By running at a "higher temperature" (higher as in back in the '50s &'60s cars ran 180 degree thermostats) has a couple of advantages. The emissions controls work better (higher temperature prevent then generation/burns better some of the smog contributers). The higher combustion temperatures help the catalytic converter to do it's job better. And the various metals in the engine all expand to the proper working clearances., etc.

Bottom line is that 195 degrees is normal for any modern engine.

that fan whines like a banshee
Yep. :D The fans are very loud. Turning of the AC turns on the fans. But when you turn off the AC, the fans continue to run until you shut off the car (at least that's the way mine seem to work).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts