The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15 years of insurance with Wawanesa - 8 vehicles and one home - and the recent terrible experience of my first claim with them ever, I am relieved to say that I cancelled my policy on all three current vehicles.

I would caution any other Californian or Canadian who holds this very inexpensive insurance on their Lotus - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Good riddance Wawanesa! :wave:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Care to elaborate on your experience? I have wawanesa and would definitely be interested in hearing the story :eek:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have wawanesa, and filed two claims on my 2005 Lotus. Once when I hit an opossum, $10K claim for front clam replacement. Second time when my Lotus was totalled by an SUV later that year.

During the total process, Wawanesa bought my '05 out from me for about $8K more than it was worth.

I am very happy and have both my new vehicles with Wawanesa, and recommended them to all of my friends, several of whom have switched.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I dont know if its Wawanesa, I know the claim person guys were very unprofessional but those were private Wawanesa hires.

I know my claim almost took 3 months, I'm not happy but those rates are awesomo

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Care to elaborate on your experience? I have wawanesa and would definitely be interested in hearing the story :eek:
Long story, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Car was tapped from behind while parked outside the house. Offending vehicle gone, no notes.

Submit claim to Wawa. I drop off car at Lotus repair facility. Lotus does an initial estimate for replacement of rear clam. Wawa assigns a second party (contract) appraiser who also does estimate for repair only.

I contact Wawa to understand the descrepancy. Wawa refers me to the contract appraiser. Appraiser tells me that damage is repairable, but that this is a "difficult" claim for Wawa because "they have very little experience" with Lotus vehicles, and it is going to the "highest level of review" (probably really only due to the fact that they were getting sued by another Lotus owner here in SoCal for breach of contract - hush, hush).

After visiting the body shop I agree that repairing the clam would be acceptable over replacing, and I contacted Wawa to express this. BTW, the body shop was amazingly professional to work with and did not try to "sell me" replacement over repair - which would have made them more $$. They offered me both the positives and negatives of each method - I chose repair.

Body shop and Wawa now begin negotiations on repairs. Lotus body shop quotes their relatively high rates, Wawa quotes their standard rates - same as those you would expect at Pep Boys. Body shop is willing to significantly come down on their rates, but Wawa unwilling to budge from their basement rates.

Contact Wawa adjuster who, in 2 seperate very long, heated exchanges made several very unprofessional and questionable comments:

>"We deal with these vehicles all the time... we are very experienced with the Lotus brand." - completely contradicting his own appraiser.
>"It is not up to you to decide the course of repairs..." - referring to me when in an earlier conversation I question why he believed the clam should be repaired rather than replaced.
>"...the body shop is difficult to work with... they are very obstinate." - they were willing to adjust their rates, Wawa was not.
>"...you should be able to take your car to ANY shop that does fiberglass work... I know of plenty Corvette shops that can do the work... there is nothing special about the Lotus brand."
>"...the vehicle is not exotic just because it wears the Lotus badge." - response to my concern about taking such a low-production, unfamiliar vehicle to "any" fiberglass repair shop.
>"...I will not treat your car any different just because it wears the Lotus badge."
>"We currently have over 600 claims this month and I am concerned about the bottom line."

Based on my communications with Wawa, although some of what they said above might be true, I sensed that they were making an effort to devalue my car as justification to pay standard repair rates - the same as what you would expect to fix an old Toyota Corolla. I realized that if I wanted my car repaired at the shop I felt comfortable with, I would have to pay what they were not going to pay, which ended up being a significant 4-figure amount.

Very surprising when I've held insurance with them for 15 years with many vehicles and a home, and this being my first claim.

In the end, I know I made the right decision, because I found a body shop that did a FANTASTIC repair job, and have since learned that there are a few ins companies out there - unlike this one - that have appraisal teams who understand our vehicles, pay prevailing Lotus rates, and do not try to lowball our preferred body shops.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have State Farm and while I pay through the nose for insurance on the Elise compared to my daily driver, I've never dealt with more professional people in my entire life. Last year, the car I had at the time was rear-ended by a motorist with some no-name local insurance. State Farm immediately took the claim, told me that my local Lexus dealership was partnered with them, had me just drop off the car and pick up a rental, and then handled the entire process from there. I just paid my deductible and picked up my car all brand new again 3 weeks later. State Farm even handled the entire legal process of recovering monies from the other guy's insurance company.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Just an FYI for everyone - there is likely an arbitration clause in the insurance contract that would deal with situations like this. Just figured I'd throw that in.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meh... not worth my time at this point. Even if arbitration worked for me, I still would have dropped Wawanesa. It would not be worth the effort for a couple grand. I will just chalk this up as a moderately expensive learning experience, and will try to inform others of my terrible experience with this company.

And, to restate, I know I made the right decision by sticking with the repair facility I chose because they did an amazingly good job!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Get Mercury.

I got two clams so far and zero hassel. They approved everything within 24-hrs. Quick follow ups, too.

Best service ever!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy from Allstate, unless you like to experience something more painful than Wawanesa.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Get Mercury.

I got two clams so far and zero hassel. They approved everything within 24-hrs. Quick follow ups, too.

Best service ever!
Mercury quoted me about $4000 per year PER LOTUS! ($8k per year!) I told the agent he was high and I bought coverage through Geico.

I had one large ($30k+) claim with Geico and had no problems.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy from Allstate, unless you like to experience something more painful than Wawanesa.
Guess it depends on your area, I never had a problem with Allstate so far. And I have a really good rate

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get Mercury.

Best service ever!

That's who I got!! I did my research, and I've also heard they have specialty "teams" that are dedicated to low-production, or exotic car types.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mercury quoted me about $4000 per year PER LOTUS! ($8k per year!) I told the agent he was high and I bought coverage through Geico.

I had one large ($30k+) claim with Geico and had no problems.
YIKES!!! Maybe it was that $30K calim with Geico that did it!?!

I'm paying around $1K per yr.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have State Farm and while I pay through the nose for insurance on the Elise compared to my daily driver, I've never dealt with more professional people in my entire life. Last year, the car I had at the time was rear-ended by a motorist with some no-name local insurance. State Farm immediately took the claim, told me that my local Lexus dealership was partnered with them, had me just drop off the car and pick up a rental, and then handled the entire process from there. I just paid my deductible and picked up my car all brand new again 3 weeks later. State Farm even handled the entire legal process of recovering monies from the other guy's insurance company.
Except you shouldn't have paid any deductible...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
[I said:
someone on lotustalk[/I]]
Get XXX.

I had a claim and they were great.
Not intending to mock everyone, but every time I've looked for insurance, I've seen contradiction after contradiction, company A was great, B was bad...then you hear the exact opposite from someone else.

Just wondering if these companies are for the most part so big that who handles the claim and how well they handle it is too much a roll of the dice to really use past experience?

Just a thought though. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Not intending to mock everyone, but every time I've looked for insurance, I've seen contradiction after contradiction, company A was great, B was bad...then you hear the exact opposite from someone else.

Just wondering if these companies are for the most part so big that who handles the claim and how well they handle it is too much a roll of the dice to really use past experience?

Just a thought though. YMMV.
Funny you mention that; I was going to say the same thing when I checked out the thread earlier. Just like with any job where some people are better than others, I'm sure some adjusters are better than others. I relatively sure that those who drew the short straw when it came to an adjuster tend to have a less-than-favorable opinion of the company afterward.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Funny you mention that; I was going to say the same thing when I checked out the thread earlier. Just like with any job where some people are better than others, I'm sure some adjusters are better than others. I relatively sure that those who drew the short straw when it came to an adjuster tend to have a less-than-favorable opinion of the company afterward.
Another area I've noticed this has been in the larger car manufacturers.

Some love or hate Ford, GM, Chevy etc.

It always seems to be a roll of the dice to me. To each his/her own though.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What insurance company would insure a Lotus for collision unless forced to do so like they are forced to insure a drunk under an SR22!!! :)

I mean comeon - you hit a possum and $10k in damages? They must be nuts to insure these cars.
You could say that about many vehicles. I remember a claim I had a long time ago where my Jeep Wrangler doors were stolen. Half-doors nonetheless. No damages, just replacement of the doors. The claim on that was actually about $1K more than the recent claim on the Lotus.

My thought is - If you OFFER insurance on a particular car, either adjust the premium appropriately to cover the claims, or DON'T OFFER A POLICY!!! Don't misrepresent your business by offering low rates to get your customers, then stick it to them when they actually have to file a claim!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts