The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that you should not wax a car before applying clear bra because it would caus adhesion problems. Does anyone know if that is accurate? I thought putting on a few coats of Zaino before the install would be a good idea.
Chris

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yes. Wax before bra. Some will say no but just as many will say yes.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
You should not wax before putting on the bra. In fact you should wash the car with dawn dish soap to strip any wax/grime and clay bar the area before applying. Wax will prevent a good bond and you can get edges/corners come up after time.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My clear bra installer, who was very good, said absolutely no wax. Strip the wax (Dawn dishwashing liquid as a car wash in this case), use a cleaner/polish (no abrasive) and clay to shine it up real nice, and make sure there is no residue of the clay's lubricant left on the car. That is, after polishing and claying, wash again, and do a final rinse with distilled water. I have a cheap one gallon manual pump garden sprayer that I use only for distilled water. The water costs about $0.80 / gallon at my local supermarket, and it takes about 1.5 gallons to rinse the car. Do a quick dry with microfiber towels after washing and rinsing with tap water, but before rinsing with distilled water, and then dry again with fresh microfiber towels after rinsing with distilled water. Make sure to spray the distilled water into all the nooks and crannies to flush out all the tap water (clear bra over water spots from drips is annoying).

At that point, your car is ready for clear bra installation. Clear bra isn't cheap, so I wanted to make sure the car would look its best.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Cear bra install

The previous post is correct. Additionally, before claying you should remove all traces of adhesive with 3M adhesive remover on a soft cotton cloth if the car had old Starshield removed. THEN clay the car and wash with strong detergent. Previous per 3M's installation instructions and I have done this several times without subsequent adhesion problems or removal difficulty....DAVe

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
3M recommends their own 3M brand polymer sealant be used before installation. If you were going to use anything, I would use a polymer sealant instead of a carnuba wax. I used Meguires NXT tech wax before my installation and had no problems. (that was before I discovered Zaino) If I were putting a clear bra on today I would Zaino the car. I might hit any spots that the material needs to stretch into with a little rubbing alcohol to remove it though.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Once it's on, be CAREFUL when you rub the edges when washing/waxing the car.

Sometimes the edges fray or tear.

Just go easy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sweetdaddy, what Zaino product would you use before putting the clearbra on? They make many different products.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Waxing the area before clear bra installation is an interesting topic...me...I probably would strip the paint and leave it ready for adhesive between the paint and bra. Wax will reduce this ability. Just ask me...The day before an autocross I waxed my entire car, and on autocross day, NONE of my 3M Blue painters tape was able to stick to the car. The fact that I was on course and my numbers flew off was a priceless testament to this. Strip the paint, get the bra on, and immediately wax that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts