The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else ever get shocked crazy bad when removing wax/sealant on their Lotus??

It's been doing this to me for years now and I finally decided to make a post about it. Clean microfiber + Wolfgang sealant + Elise body = constant ESD event.

I resorted to always waxing the car with one shoe on and with one (bare) foot on the pavement to help ground myself. Wearing shoes with rubber soles makes it so bad that I can feel the hair on my arms and even up to my head start to stand up after I've waxed a large area on the rear clam...

I cringe anytime I get near any metal surfaces... the gas cap, diffuser, door locks (especially bad) even the little screw on the front access covers gets me good. Tonight it was so bad that I'm debating making a grounding strap I can wear on my wrist. If I go slowly with one or both feet grounded on the floor it lessens it... but it's still popping and crackling the whole time.

I've tried different waxes/sealants and it's always the same. I'm not going to use anything but a microfiber on my car so that option is out.

Anyone else having some sparky fun while waxing their car?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Probably has something to do with the humidity levels and the specific conditions that exist each time you wax. Try keeping the garage door open or get a fan pulling air out of the garage. Different shoes or flip-flops might fix the problem as well.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Does anyone else ever get shocked crazy bad when removing wax/sealant on their Lotus??...

Anyone else having some sparky fun while waxing their car?
+1

I was removing rubber marks from last week's LCS with a microfiber cloth (yes, it was in Nevada, but not <b>that</b> kind of rubber), and I kept on getting minor shocks...

It was a "bonding" experience...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried everything short of the wrist strap.

Open garage, fans, put the car out in the driveway, barefoot, barefoot in the driveway, etc.

I'm not talking about minor shocks either... it's strong enough so that you can see the spark even under direct light.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Never had it happen while waxing but every now and again on the really dry santa ana desert wind days where the humidity is bone dry I will shock the holy crap out of myself taking the car cover off and touching the bonnet latch, I can feel the hair on my arms rising as I drag the cover over the car, pretty strange considering it is about the most non conductive production car on the market, mostly composite and aluminum ? Something about dragging the treated cotton car cover over the fiberglasss generates enough static electricity to power a small town. If I ever need a defibrillator I will say , hey you guys , quick, grab my car cover and drag it over my car 2 -3 times and then touch my hand...., BZZZAPPP

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Never had it happen while waxing but every now and again on the really dry santa ana desert wind days where the humidity is bone dry I will shock the holy crap out of myself taking the car cover off and touching the bonnet latch, I can feel the hair on my arms rising as I drag the cover over the car, pretty strange considering it is about the most non conductive production car on the market, mostly composite and aluminum ? Something about dragging the treated cotton car cover over the fiberglasss generates enough static electricity to power a small town. If I ever need a defibrillator I will say , hey you guys , quick, grab my car cover and drag it over my car 2 -3 times and then touch my hand...., BZZZAPPP
I get the same thing with my "parachute material" Weathershield cover.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
gee whiz bubba, I don't get it THAT bad, and we live fairly close by. Are you using fabric softener in your Microfiber cloth wash or those anti-static sheets?

If you are, DON'T!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts