The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That's neat to see. Where does one go for this sort of thing? What would I look for in the yellow pages? What does it typically cost?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the bottom of the paper you'll see the information for the lab.

Here's the website.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

IIRC its $120 for 6 samples. They send you a box in the mail with plastic jars in it. Inside each jar is little vial plus a piece of paper where you write down your comments. You just have your mechanic at Lotus put some of the oil in the vial and then you fill out the paper,put the vial back in the jar, put a stamp on the jar...and send it out. Its pretty easy.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I had no idea this could be done, very cool. How does one use this? A lot of the values are above the normative means but that's being attributed to the new engine. Is this something you plan on doing on regular basis? How do they establish normal and abnormal and what should one do with an abnormal value?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this was our break in oil, so abnormal high values are expected.

We prepaid for 6 analysis, so we've at least got 5 more to go.

You write in what sort of motor you have and they can compare your samples to the thousands of others they've done on the same engine. Its all pretty neat. The website explains some of the features they have avaliable to nerds like us.

They give you a synopsis of your motors condition and even suggestions as to what could be the problem if you're seeing strange values. Its just another nerdy way of keeping track of how your engine health is, how your oil is, and if your oil changes/driving style/choice of oils is working for you.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
babak said:
I had no idea this could be done, very cool. How does one use this? A lot of the values are above the normative means but that's being attributed to the new engine. Is this something you plan on doing on regular basis? How do they establish normal and abnormal and what should one do with an abnormal value?
Thats because you haven't been watching Goss' garage! *ducks* ;)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
If you look at the bottom of the paper you'll see the information for the lab.

Here's the website.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
I should have looked more carefully. I grew up an hour from there. If you ever decide to drop a sample off in person don't go at night...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sweet, another 2zz oil analysis. Your are only the 3rd person I know of to do this with a 2zz. I posted mine a while back. Another Celica owner on newcelica.org did so as well, but his came back dismal and eventually led to finding out about a spun rod bearing.

·
Registered
970 Posts
you dont want high lead levels...I sent mine in on E46 M3(S54 motor known for spun bearings) awhile back and it came back ok...very cheap service really.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
A buddy of mine just got the same analysis for his GTi.... he's been lagging in power a bit.

Interesting to see such a high level of silicon. I guess it's "dust" from new gaskets et. al? Cool stuff :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
This has been standard practice in the marine industry for years, you can tell alot about a engine by it's oil.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i had it done when my esprit engine let go.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I don't get much from it without a control sample though to compare against.
:shrug:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most construction and trucking companies have this as standard practice. The labs that do this have a large data base. They check yours against their data base. Then give you a comparison to their past tests on like engines, besides looking at your raw numbers.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Silicon isn't high because of gaskets. Silicon is high because of remainder sand from the casting process. A lot of this should work itself out of the system over the first couple of oil changes, and then the levels should settle down very low and stay that way. Aside from the casting sand, there should not be any sourse of silicon in your engine. If you begin to see above normal silicon levels AFTER your engine has settled down and established a low base line, then check your friggin' air filter and its seal because dirt/dust is getting in somewhere.

xtn

1 - 20 of 51 Posts