The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with this special bulletin.

WE'RE GONNA DIE!

If you're looking for excitement, On Friday the 13th (April 13, 2029), a mountain size (1000 ft) asteroid "Adophis" will squeak under the net of geosynchronous satellites (less than 20,000 miles away from the Earth's surface), an amazing very close encounter. With our eyes, you will see a bright object tumbling through our skies with earthlings screaming in terror! If the orbital calculations are just a teeny-weeny bit off, or if the earth's gravity tweaks the trajectory, asteroid "Adophis" could impact Earth and affect life on Earth as we know it now. If it misses, Adophis has another chance on April 13, 2036 (EASTER SUNDAY)!!! Nice.

THIS IS REAL!

REPENT, THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!

WHERE IS BRUCE WILLIS WHEN WE NEED HIM??

Good news, my Elise will be paid off by that time.

--Hal

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Hopefully it will hit the Middle East.

I kid, I kid. No flames please. :p

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rotfl.............:popcorn:

rotflrotflrotflrotfl

Hmmm.... interesting. We need a POLL on this one:

If the end is very near, what will you be doing just before the end??

1. praying in church
2. driving my Lotus
3. spend time with my family
4. asleep in bed.
5. In bed with....who?
6. Other

--Hal

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotfl

Hmmm.... interesting. We need a POLL on this one:

If the end is very near, what will you be doing just before the end??

1. praying in church
2. driving my Lotus
3. spend time with my family
4. asleep in bed.
5. In bed with....who?
6. Other

--Hal
choice 7 all of the above :nanner:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If the orbital calculations are just a teeny-weeny bit off, or if the earth's gravity tweaks the trajectory,
I'm pretty sure that the Earth's gravity was included in the calculations. Even the guys from Caltech aren't that dumb...

Where are you getting your news? Internet chain letters? This story is pretty stale (see Wikipedia).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1,000 foot = mountain sized? that wouldn't even qualify for a mountain-status in florida. ;)

A 1000ft diameter asteroid will cause "regional" damage. That means an entire country will be wiped off the map, including surrounding areas and triggering gigantic tsunamis and severe climate changes globally. Not good. A small 20 foot meteor 30,000 years ago produced a 1 mile diameter in Arizona. A 1000ft (mini mountain will create maxi consequences if it impacts the Earth. On April 13th, 2039 Adophis will be closest over mid Atlantic Ocean. If it hit's, New York will not escape. Is this a punisment for Spitzer?:(

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure that the Earth's gravity was included in the calculations. Even the guys from Caltech aren't that dumb...

Where are you getting your news? Internet chain letters? This story is pretty stale (see Wikipedia).
2 weeks ago update from NASA. That's not stale.
Ready the update. Also, the calculations will be refreshed from more observations in 2011.

There's one thing that bothers me. If the calculations prove certain impact, do you think they would inform the public? Think about it.

Now, I thought this was an interesting event, and I tried to add a little humor. If you don't care, take your business somewhere else. This is the "other" section. It would create an interesting discussion about this event, not "flaming" my integrity.

--Hal

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm not worried. By 2029, I'll have completed my single stage to orbit Exige and will just watch from space.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
" So this is it, we're all going to die ? "--------Ford Prefect

1 - 20 of 47 Posts