The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here yesterday that I put my order in at Steve Harris
in SLC. I was #28 on the list. Today I got the call to put in my order at Silver Star. I was #37 on their list. Both dealers said they had to have the next 20 orders in this Friday. People with deposits must be dropping off the lists in droves. I may have a car in June or July rather than the September that I expected.

Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I wouldnt necessarily say dropping in droves. I do agree a percentag will certainly drop off when push comes to shove and they've actually got to commit to the car.

I did hear from a dealer today who said it wasn't so much people dropping off, they'd just encountered people who wanted to be pushed back to wait and see.

Chris
88 days and a wakeup......................................

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

I did hear from a dealer today who said it wasn't so much people dropping off, they'd just encountered people who wanted to be pushed back to wait and see.
That's probably the case. It's a bit unusual to have to order the car to your specs this far in advance of when the car will actually arrive, and I think a good number of folks want to wait to test drive a fed demo car before committing (and losing their deposit $$$)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It is kind of funny in a way, we've known the cars were coming for how many months and now people are in a last minute scramble to decide what color etc to get!:)

Chris
who hasn't met an elise in any color he would n't be happy to call his

88 days and a wakeup................................

·
Registered
249 Posts
Deposit down and sticking to it, although it is completely understandable that anyone would want to hold on ordering until they've at least heard feedback on the initial cars (including quirks and how the colors/color combos actually look).

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I don't mind being a guinea pig, that's what bumber to bumper warranties are for....................

Chris
88 days and a wakeup....................
This rascal of a car scares people. They need to have it in small doses, with constant assurances from
new owners that she's a friendly little rascal and not some 'bitch' that's impossible to live with.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bet all the people that want to be placed further down the list want to wait for a respected american car magazine's complete road test. I've read a ton of tests from the UK, but maybe a lot of folks think that jingoism is clouding their judgement.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Joetz said:
I bet all the people that want to be placed further down the list want to wait for a respected american car magazine's complete road test. I've read a ton of tests from the UK, but maybe a lot of folks think that jingoism is clouding their judgement.
Road and Track said that the Federal Elise is the "Best Sports Car on the Planet". I think it's more of a case of people moving up the list to get finances in order/sell cars to get the Elise. I don't think printed verification is an issue any longer, or it should'nt be.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had two deposits at two different dealers - I know people get upset and say I am just as bad as the dealers who charge mark-up. Only reason I did it was to cover myself because the dealers are the ones playing games.

It was a good thing I did too. - Tonkin GT in Portland - I was number 10 - turns out they will not be a Lotus dealer again after all as they refuse to take on a Esprit so they will not be getting the Elise anytime soon if at all. They have not taken any orders for any cars and doesn't look like they will. So now I am number 36 at Park Place in Bellevue (and #1 if the Exige comes out!).

I guess in the end this doesn't really count as dropping out since they were never a Lotus dealership in the first place...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Donovan said:
It was a good thing I did too. - Tonkin GT in Portland - I was number 10 - turns out they will not be a Lotus dealer again after all as they refuse to take on a Esprit so they will not be getting the Elise anytime soon if at all. They have not taken any orders for any cars and doesn't look like they will. So now I am number 36 at Park Place in Bellevue (and #1 if the Exige comes out!).
Ouch! I know of a couple of people that pulled their deposits out of Park Place to go to Tonkin. This news has got to hurt.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
if that is the case and they haven't been in contact with the Dealership you should really let them know. They are NOT a authorized Lotus dealership and are refusing to take on an Esprit.

According to the sales manager they will not be recieving any Elises' in the foreseeable future...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts