The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok MidAtlantic Region we need an event! There has been some chatter about various ideas but nothing has been set in stone.

I am going to plane something probably September 12 or 26 but, would like to know what everyone's interested in.

The events that have been discussed have been Cars and Coffee, Winery, and skyline drive. I could combined these also it would just be a longer day.

I have a good loop set up that includes 26 miles of skyline drive, 211 entrance north to 340 exit. It starts around route 17 & route 50 split in Paris VA with some nice driving in-between. This loop is apx 100 miles and we could include a stop in Warrenton for food, drink, or restroom. This could end at Barrel Oak Winery by route 17 and I66. I have talked to the owner of this winery and he would love to have us there. The only issue some might have is the dirt / stone driveway. I have driven my Elise up it no problem, it just gets dirty.

Another option would be a cars and coffee somewhere in Middleburg VA or Chantilly VA or even Winchester VA. Then do the loop or just end the day.

Let me know what you think so I can work out the full details.

The talk is done lets do something!:shift:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another Winery option would be to meet in Leesburg VA and ChrisD's loop then stop at a winery (forgot the name) off of Route 9. The drive way and part of the parking lot is paved at this one.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool do you guys want to do coffee or the winery along with the drive?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I'm up for whatever :up:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far is too far for you MD guys to meet up?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
It doesnt really matter to me...but i would say ~100 miles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes -the drive to Skyline is not too far for me, I can do that. By the way I will be heading down to The Dragon -sometime in mid -late October , just to drive -if anybody else is interested.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Septemerb 12th is the Mason Dixon Rally. I'd be up for the 26th...

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you do it the 26th I might come up from Durham--I was intending to come up around that time anyhow.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its looking like September 26 is more popular.

Keep with comments.

I will pick the date after a couple more responses.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Its looking like September 26 is more popular.

Keep with comments.

I will pick the date after a couple more responses.
Sept. 26 is MG on the Rocks, a fairly large Brit Car Day at the Rocks State Park in Harford County, MD.

Great location, and it is possible to lay out some great back road drives to get there. Would make a great destination. Plot it out hardly have to be on 95, if at all.

There are a few MD wineries that could be hit on the way up or back.

Location pulls cars from PA, Jersey, Del., VA, and of course MD.

Another option is the weekend before on the 19th. Kevin McGovern hosts the annual DC chapter Lotus Ltd picnic at his home in Ellicott City, MD. Another great destination with all kinds of back road possibilities for people coming from all directions. This one starts in the afternoon, so it offers more possibilities as far as time is concerned for leasurely trip up.

Kevin supplies all food and drink. Parking on his expansive lawn. He always has his immaculate Type14 Elite, Elise, Caterham, Aston Martin, MGC's and of course at least one of the three Esprit X180R race cars (the Bundy, Pilgrim, Newman, et. al cars).

Always a bunch of interesting Lotus, as well as other cars of interest: Ferrari, Jags, Lambos, Cobra Replicas, Pantera, Ford GT, Porsche, last year there was a Shelby Series 1, etc. I believe a bunch of Lotus are caravaning down from the Philly/Jersey area.

·
Registered
476 Posts
What's the 19th? Also, do any of you autocross? There are a few clubs around MD that we could all signup and do an autox day. I'm not a Lotus owner anymore but hopefully I can still join :)

For example, This weekend was the BMW club autocross in Sykesville. Next weekend I'll be in Frederick (****ty course but fun group) on Sunday, maybe Saturday as well, with Capital driving club. On the 19th I'm supposed to be in Sykesville for autocross with the Porsche club.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the 19th I'm supposed to be in Sykesville for autocross with the Porsche club.
Chesapeake PCA is great group to run with. Assuming we live through 24 hrs of LeMons the previous weekend, I'm planning to the PCA AutoX and then straight to Kevin's Lotus on the Lawn.

Who's M400 was at Kevin's last year? It was beautiful!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did the PCA event at the MARC station 2 weeks ago and was quite disappointed by the lack of organization. The people were nice and I had a good time talking to them, but standing in the sun for almost 4 hours as a coarse worker for 1 heat was ridiculous. We had to shut down the coarse 4-5 times for lazy workers not getting fallen cones, the house not paying attention and just sending cars when others were still on track, and workers standing on the coarse when it was hot. And we didn't start till around 11:30am when we were supposed to start at 9:30.

It was a loooooooooooong day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm working on a LeMons car with a PCA guy and he said a M400 was there last time.

They always start late, but not that late. What's nice is they are usually done by 1pm or so and I live between the MARC and Sykesville locations so it's close to home. The only other group I have run with is CDC, who are very organized, but you don't finish until 5pm and I have 1+ hr drive home.

I hope to see you and the Noble on 9/19 and give my new SC a spin.

- Todd

1 - 20 of 52 Posts