The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, that's right: We need an ombudsman (or woman) who can help us sift Elise fact from Elise fiction. Someone who can get some type -- any type -- of official word when it comes to questions like, "Will they only deliver 350 cars between the first delivery and August?"

Now, this request may seem like overkill, but the waiting game does have real-world ramifications for some of us. If it turns out that I may not have an Elise until next year, I might opt to do home improvement work this year instead. Or I might just ditch the Elise and get a different car.

BTW: What happened to Clyde? Did Lotus put the muzzle on him?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Funny, you'd think the official site would help, but then again, it really hasn't been very helpful at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hell,
Some of us have been waitin since late 01 early 02 (me Jan 02). Another month is no big deal! The vast bulk of people on this list probably haven't had money down more than six months or so.

You can't expect them to go from no production of US elises to full production instantly. I'd rather them build it up instead of just slapping the cars together to get em to us.

Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Tsk tsk...

Lotus goes out of it's way to give you the incredibly vast knowledge of Lotus Admin, and this is how you repay them?!?

:p

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
Someone who can get some type -- any type -- of official word when it comes to questions
I think the people who are supposed to fill this role are called "dealers". ;) They can't really show it, but when I talked to a salesperson/manager once or twice, I got a feeling that they're at least as frustrated as some of us because Lotus isn't giving them current information.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Hell,
Some of us have been waitin since late 01 early 02 (me Jan 02). Another month is no big deal! The vast bulk of people on this list probably haven't had money down more than six months or so.

You can't expect them to go from no production of US elises to full production instantly. I'd rather them build it up instead of just slapping the cars together to get em to us.

Chris
Another month would not be a big deal. But those of us not right at the top of the list might be facing a longer delay than that if the estimate of 350 cars by August is true.

I don't expect them to go from no production to full production instantly. On the other hand, they have been building Elises for several years and are building them now with our engine, so it doesn't seem like it should take too long to swing into full production.

Of course, I have no experience with manufacturing whatsoever and no idea what I'm talking about, so there probably is more to it than I imagine.

I retained some semblance of sanity last year by thinking that the car was due to hit the US in April 04. I reluctantly reset my expectations to perhaps see my car in August 04. I would prefer not to think that it might be December 04. However, c'est la vie.

Of course, if Lotus cannot produce many cars before summer ends, they should just ship them all to California and Florida and other places with mild climates.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Funny, you'd think the official site would help, but then again, it really hasn't been very helpful at all. :rolleyes:
Are we talking about the site that claims that the Lotus shop is coming in fall 2003? The site that Lotus Admin claims will be updated soon? The site that doesn't even have any official news or photos from the LA Auto Show? The site that hasn't posted any news about ordering or production? The site with a color selector that does not reflect all of the colors offered?

I still check in there because there seem to be some posters on it that don't come here and I've learned a thing or two, but nothing "official" for quite a long time.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Clyde is very, very busy right now. He is prepping for the launch, a press day in April and just bought a house. Honestly, he was the main voice of LCU to the sea of buyers. At this point, from my understanding of the situation from when I wrote my article, the cars should be in the first stages of assembly now. They should be finished by early April and make it here by mid to late May. Hopefully, April will bring a oppertunity to sample the first "production" examples at the press drive.

There are a few of us, Randy included, who have been very sensitive to only saying what we are allowed and being very careful when going on record with anything that is rumor. I believe when trying to figure out fact from fiction, look at the reliability of the member in the past and go from there. Many of the questions that have been asked on this and other threads are either, A) not for release yet, B) not yet known (even by LCU). Remember that LCU is, although part of Lotus PLC, not directly in control of many aspect when it comes to allotment size, final specifications, etc. things like the Lotus Shop are not down on their failure but due to delayed introduction and availability from Hethel. LCU stands behind the position of only speaking publically when things are for sure and not guesses. It is far more embarresing to tell someone that they can't have the color car or sweatshirt they wanted than not even mentioning the posibility of it in the first place.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

Of course, if Lotus cannot produce many cars before summer ends, they should just ship them all to California and Florida and other places with mild climates. [/B]

I was thinking they should go to the Northeast so we can enjoy the car before the bad weather arrives - you guys can use them all year round:D

Regarding the web site not being updated - discussing this on a thread on the official forum, Lotus Admin was as helpful as always -

http://66.139.73.25/lcuforum/showthread.php?postid=5369#post5369

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
wallabyguy said:

There are a few of us, Randy included, who have been very sensitive to only saying what we are allowed and being very careful when going on record with anything that is rumor.
Exactly. Otherwise, you will not be told the next thing. It's all about trust.

It is far more embarresing to tell someone that they can't have the color car or sweatshirt they wanted than not even mentioning the posibility of it in the first place.
Are you talking about the Official Store opening in fall of 2003?

:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A month or two, plus or minus is no big deal to me, I put my deposit down in November of 2001 and Star Motors, Wally Newcomb, has done a fine job keeping me informed. May, June, July whatever the car will get here.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randy Chase said:
Exactly. Otherwise, you will not be told the next thing. It's all about trust.
Randy, do you have an official news thread, a thread in which you specifically share production information that has been cleared for public dissemination? Maybe a thread that includes highlights from interviews conducted by reliable customer-reporters? I guess what I'm looking for is something that's more informative than "official" Lotus announcements, but not so sensitive as to get you (or Wallabyguy?) in trouble.

I know there's the FAQ, but it doesn't get into the vagaries of production info. I don't think anyone would ever expect you to betray sources, but it would be nice to have a clearing house for any type of info that clears up confusion.

Shoot, for that matter, can you request an interview with someone high up, and then post it online? For all I know, we may simply be wallowing in disinformation because the dealers are too disinterested to push for info on our behalf, and no customer has actually taken the time to... well... ask.

As for the quote, "Otherwise, you will not be told the next thing. It's all about trust," I respect that, but also please consider that the special secret info that you have stashed in your lock-box doesn't really do us plebians any good! :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Tough call. There is very little cleared information.

I have been told things like this:

"Here is the deal... you didn't hear it from me. But if you let people know that you *think* this is the case... that would be a good thing. Just don't say I told you."

So I am not sure how else to relay that kind of information.

An example of that is the LSD information. I have pushed the envelope of what I should be saying... in fact editing my post yesterday to remove something I said that was too close to pointing at a source.

I guess I stand on my record here. I do not post things only based on gossip or rumor... and if I do, I specifically note that it is only a rumor. For example, I have suggested that there is a rumor about an Exige being tested with 240-250hp Supercharged Toyota engine. Perhaps it's more than a rumor. But no hard data.

When the information comes from LCU, or employees at Hethel.. I pass on what I can. It is extremely important to me that Lotus perceives Elisetalk as responsible. I like to think of our forum as also more correct than other sources.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I have been told things like this:

"Here is the deal... you didn't hear it from me. But if you let people know that you *think* this is the case... that would be a good thing. Just don't say I told you."

So I am not sure how else to relay that kind of information.
I think most journalist would say something like this: "Sources within Lotus say that ....". This does not go against what you have been asked to do by your sources, and it would help people sort out the validity of the information when comparing to rumors coming from dealers, "my friends sisters's boyfried who knows a guy that said", etc.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just to follow up, Randy: when you say things like "Your dealer is still incorrect and less informed than my sources. I can't say why I know this.", people who don't know you have sources within LCU have no reason to think this should be given any more weight than what a dealer says. Once someone has been around the forums a while they will gather your word might be worth more, but in the interest of good journalism, it would cut down on a lot of confusion, and shouldn't hurt your sources to just come out and say where your source is. Then people would know right off the bat that its good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A few months one way or another may not matter in California. However, here in Ohio, I'll be very upset if the Elise I thought I would be getting to spend most of the summer with actually arrives in October or November.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Evl,

It's not quite so easy as keeping the source vague. They know who they are and if they see their tidbit online from us, they'll stop the flow of info even if their not named. I don't know if Randy has heard this, but I've been threatened with being drawn and quartered.:p The only time I have let something go before I was given a thumbs up was when I saw another "offical" source say something and I wanted to confirm or elaborate further on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts