The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I had my passenger side rear oil line fitting blow out while driving. It soaked the rear tire and sprayed oil everywhere. When I started to look into this on Lotustalk, it became clear that this is a pretty common problem and is clearly a defect in the manufacturing or design of the car. I believe that this is also a safety hazard in that it could cause an engine fire or loss of traction or brake performance.

I think it would be a good idea for all owners that have had this failure to report these incidents to the NHTSA website. It just takes a couple minutes and it may force Lotus to be responsible for this obvious and unsafe defect.

Here is the website Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Bryan

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I haven't had, and I hope I never have, the oil line failure. Most I have seen reported are the crimps at the coolers up front. Was your failure a crimped connection? I know of the U-joint jerry-rigged above the oil filter, but I haven't heard of the crimping failing at the rear junction, not that I doubt it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Is there any way you can post a pic of where it failed? I wonder if it is something we could look for, like the cooling u-tube wearing, or the toe link, or the poor ac, or the...

Sorry it happened, I'm sure the tire and road wasn't the only thing that was covered in brown.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Apparently this happened to my first car after I sold it to the guy (in Cody, WY). He is not on the forums but since I communicated with him after the sale he said it was a real pain trying to find someone that could (or would) fix it properly.

Is this a problem with 05s only?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly not only 05s. Mine is an 06, but I've seen two different designs of fittings, so it may be limited to a certain manufacturing period.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
FWIW

when mine blew on a 05, Lotus replaced the engine.........the car had 13k when it went and it was under warranty at the time

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just filed a complaint with NHTSA...took about 5 minutes. Had 2 oil line failures on 2 separate occasions. Last one almost caused me to skid off the highway at 75mph.... and the engine was ruined.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
I have a late '07 Elise and my blew out on the passenger side about a month ago. What an expensive mess.

- z

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
my friend's 07 exige s also blew a line while we parted ways a few months back. Luckily, it happened right as he got on the freeway and pulled over immediately. Dealer was like 10min away and engine was not damaged.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Whats the proper preventative maintenance for this? Do we have to remove the front clams?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Go with a MoCal oil/water cooler and do away with the entire front oil cooler setup. Lotus Sport sell the oil/water cooler or you can contact these folks Bat Inc. They have everything you need including new sandwich plate.

Stock Lotus has 27 feet of oil cooler lines (yes I did measure the ones I removed, huge weight savings also).

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
So what were the common "symptoms" you guys had once the line failed to know what happened? I.e. What would one be wary of to prompt immediate pull-over to preempt engine failure if this happened?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just blew my oil line on the passenger side a couple weeks ago. The line came right out of the connector. Engine looks like it escaped damage but I'm glad it happened on the freeway when it did. I was on my way to the Big Track at Willow Springs.......:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Driver's Side Oil Cooler Line

My 2005 failure was in 2005--apparently the hose or connection failed at the oil cooler. Fortunately I was going slowly and only two minutes from being able to park it. No engine damage, oil everywhere, a mess. Lotus fixed in under warrantee.

The dealer (Westlake CA.) had never seen this type of failure.

I never reported it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Should we standardized a draft among LotusTalk members so that we are all on the same page in what to write in the complaint?

Although I want to file a complaint, luckily *knock on wood* this has yet to happen on my car. Can I still file?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts