The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It is an incident report, so I don't think you can unless you had an incident. Good idea to standardize.

I called it an 'oil line failure.'

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My 2005 failure was in 2005--apparently the hose or connection failed at the oil cooler. Fortunately I was going slowly and only two minutes from being able to park it. No engine damage, oil everywhere, a mess. Lotus fixed in under warrantee.

The dealer (Westlake CA.) had never seen this type of failure.

I never reported it.
I believe you can still report it. All that you need is a VIN and an approximate date. The more reports NHTSA gets the more likely they will initiate an investigation and recall. It only takes a couple minutes.

Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you tell if the lines are close to failure by inspecting them? I've looked mine over a few time and don't see any sign of leakage swelling etc, but now you guys have me worried. They've lasted 46K miles so far...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
wow never knew there were more than a couple isolated incidents....glad my lines carry water coolant now instead of oil!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I dread the day I have this failure especially on track because more than likely it will be a very painful and expensive repair. I am out of warranty but this is potentially a serious failure. I hope every owner sees this and takes it seriously.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So what were the common "symptoms" you guys had once the line failed to know what happened? I.e. What would one be wary of to prompt immediate pull-over to preempt engine failure if this happened?
I'm not sure there are any symptoms except the oil light going on. I didn't see any evidence of a failure when I changed the oil a few months ago (but then again I wasn't looking too hard). The car was running fine when I pulled over.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
when mine blew on a 05, Lotus replaced the engine.........the car had 13k when it went and it was under warranty at the time
You should report this failure to NHTSA. This is a safety issue, not a warranty issue. I hate to think what would have happened if I was on a track or windy mountain road.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can you tell if the lines are close to failure by inspecting them? I've looked mine over a few time and don't see any sign of leakage swelling etc, but now you guys have me worried. They've lasted 46K miles so far...
Mine blew at 40k miles with no warning...

My understanding is that it is a manufacturing or design defect at the crimp to the fittings. The crimp is ineffective and separates catastrophically...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Go with a MoCal oil/water cooler and do away with the entire front oil cooler setup. Lotus Sport sell the oil/water cooler or you can contact these folks Bat Inc. They have everything you need including new sandwich plate.

Stock Lotus has 27 feet of oil cooler lines (yes I did measure the ones I removed, huge weight savings also).
This looks like a excellent upgrade for the winter. Anyone else have any feedback or experience with the Lamina oil cooler?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
someone post pics of the line/fitting, i wanna see
I will try to get pics when I pick up my car from the shop.

There are a few other threads that have dealt with oil line replacement and failures. I am sure there are a few pictures out there.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
how did affect the oil temp/engine temp

Go with a MoCal oil/water cooler and do away with the entire front oil cooler setup. Lotus Sport sell the oil/water cooler or you can contact these folks Bat Inc. They have everything you need including new sandwich plate.

Stock Lotus has 27 feet of oil cooler lines (yes I did measure the ones I removed, huge weight savings also).
My concern is that here in AZ I need all the cooling I can get.....wondering how did affect your temps after you changed it out...........I am thinking about removing mine and installing one with a fan in the passanger wheel well.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally Posted by robains

Would you pllease supply a few more details of this modification. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine blew with no warning at night, oil all over windshield in the middle of 50mph traffic and concrete wall on my left. I cut away fitting and used two screw clamps to re-attach- it's not slipping off like that swell factory crimp and it didn't cost me a thing. You don't need to remove anything but the wheel on the effected side and the wheel arch liner to get at it. If it happens do not run your car.

·
Super Moderator
3,100 Posts
Has anyone contacted Hethel directly? They have been responsive to the Lotus community in the past.

Given what sounds like a potentially life threatening issue that could affect any Elige without warning, they might want to get on top of this now especially if a few quick cuts and some screw clamps mitigate the danger.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mine blew with no warning at night, oil all over windshield in the middle of 50mph traffic and concrete wall on my left. I cut away fitting and used two screw clamps to re-attach- it's not slipping off like that swell factory crimp and it didn't cost me a thing. You don't need to remove anything but the wheel on the effected side and the wheel arch liner to get at it. If it happens do not run your car.
This is a good example of how dangerous this defect is. Be sure to report this to NHTSA!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This happened to ZenDude. I just PM'd him now to check it out.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Today at noon, no warning;

Took me 2 seconds from seeing a small streak of oil appear behind me, to me turning it off... Oil light did not come on, but I'm sure it would if I would have started it as it kept pouring.

Best part is... I was reading this thread the other day, and even had a dream about this happening.... Probably why I turned the car off so fast and just coasted to the side.

Edit; submitted complaint.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts