The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Had the oil lines on my car upgraded to braided stainless steel a few years ago. Probably a good way to avoid any potential future oil line blowouts.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Had the oil lines on my car upgraded to braided stainless steel a few years ago. Probably a good way to avoid any potential future oil line blowouts.

My 2 cents.

Do you remember where you got your stainless steel lines and what the specs/dimensions were? Also, where did you go to have the work done?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Do you remember where you got your stainless steel lines and what the specs/dimensions were? Also, where did you go to have the work done?
Had it done at Lotus of Beverly Hills in early 2008. (Before their untimely demise.)

Don't remember the cost.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I had spoken to the gentleman at EliseUSA for braided lines, but wanted me to help him facilitate a solution. Unfortunately due to time and lack of knowledge of the length the oil cooler lines I stopped following through with this. I would love to buy something and have it installed for piece of mind.

My oil cooler line failed, enginer replaced, and reported.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
its just a matter of poor crimping on all the hose fittings.i saw some seeping on one of my oil cooler lines the other day.so i guess i will be swapping all my lines over to aeroquip here very soon.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I don't get why you need to replace the hose. Why not just replace the fitting then clamp over the outside?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
How many total failure do we have now? Seems like a large % given our production numbers and severity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 2005. Noticed oil seeping out of one of mine in the off season look over. Going to replace all the lines with Sobe's fix.

Add another to the list...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is a scary (potential) issue. I'm at 50k and I bought a supercharger recently. I want to upgrade the oil lines ASAP - does anyone know of a solid product that I can have brought to my mechanic and have them changed over? Thanks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I think I posted about this issue awhile ago, but since this is four pages now, it bears repeating:

If you complain to NHTSA, something could actually be done. NHTSA is in charge of investigating auto manufacturer defects and they are especially keen on investigating car and truck defects which can lead to serious accidents, injuries, or deaths. Blown oil lines certainly fit this category.

NHTSA has an online form, I would suggest that anyone experiencing this complete the form. Lotus is not going to get hammered, they will simply be told to bring in the vehicles and check the fittings - the oil line issue is usually that simple.

Until then, everyone ought to keep an eye on these lines. If oil leaks and hits a tire, you're gonna lose control of the car, which is the vehicle's best crash prevention system. I sure as hell wouldn't want to lose control and slide into the path of an SUV or into a tree, a hospital trip (or worse) is the clear result of that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Would putting some sort of Gorilla Glue & High Speed/Heat tape around the line bandage style prevent this from happening? I would think it couldn't hurt and then hose clamp the tape bandage onto the line and the fitting? Makeshift I know, but what are y'alls thoughts on doing this?

·
He's on fire!
3,083 Posts
someone with more knowhow should reply but I'm guessing tape is a bad idea that might actually mask a problem (if you had one) that would be ineffective in the event of a hose failure

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gorilla Tape

I was thinking the thick one and the possibly adding some high heat glue to the adhesive underneath . . . Then possible adding a hose clamp to each side of the bandage to hold it in place. I know this wouldn't necessarily prevent a pipe burst, but I would think it would prevent the tube from "Popping Out" of the crimps no?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I checked the fronts and they look okay to me. I did notice one hose seemed to be wearing against the wheel well and had made a slight flat spot on it towards the top of the front wheel well area. Should I tape this to prevent it rubbing through? It wasn't bad or anything, but I just want to be as preventative as possible . . . Will tape hurt the hose in anyway? Gorilla Tape BTW . . .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked on the NHTSA website and there have only been 7 complaints filed regarding the oil line failures. Seems to be a lot more than 7 occurrences out there! Please, if you have experienced a failure submit a complaint to the NHTSA. This is scary stuff! I want to enjoy my car. Not die behind the wheel for something as stupid as lame factory connections resulting in an oil-fed wipeout against a tree or an oncoming semi.

I would complain - but it hasn't happened to my Lotus - yet. I am worried though with 30K or so miles on the clock. Now it's going to be in the back of my mind nagging at me until I can get this preventively fixed.

I'm not even sure of the proper way to fix the problem. Sounds like some of the answers are to tie a rag around it or use some bailing wire and hope for the best. I would feel a lot better if a recall were introduced so we could all go in and get some proper safety measures taken care of for our oil hoses and clamps. In the big scheme of things it probably wouldn't cost Lotus all that much to refit with a better clamp design or something. And then it would be an official and SAFE fix.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My last checkup, the dealer reported that I had a leak in the passenger side oil coolant line. Unfortunately, the weren't able to perform the warranty work (Criswell, MD) at that time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did this write up about two months ago. I am surprised no one has mentioned it. This should assist anyone who wishes to change the line.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f293/oil-cooler-line-repair-gauge-instalation-91341/
This looks like a great idea for those who are concerned about it. I was thinking about buying these parts following the instructions as preventative maintenance. Only problem is that I have an 05 with dual oil coolers. Without actually looking into it, I'm not sure exactly what additional parts I will need, or how to replace the oil line that goes through the front clam. I really hope I'll be able to do it with the front clam on.

I agree that someone should come out with a kit and real instructions to make this easier.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I agree that someone should come out with a kit and real instructions to make this easier.
If someone could just get Lotustalk user "carl" a spare line with the fitting still crimped on, then he will develop a cheap solution to permanently fix the problem without having to change the line. Or at least, this is what I understand.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts