The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would buy a kit!! But I probably would be a little leery of installing it myself. Sounds like a lot - running the length of the car through tight spaces and to two oil coolers. Hope its not a clam removal job but maybe its unavoidable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Could we put this on sticky? So that we can get more reporting. NHTSA doesn't ask detail info like mileage and etc...
It would be very helpful if people post the following.

• Year:
  • Model:
  • Date failed:
  • Location of failure:
  • Mileage:
  • Daily driver: Yes or No
  • Track use: Frequent, Seldom, Never
  • Other description or info:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
anyone have luck contacting Lotus directly?
How many reports does it take to get the NHTSA involved?
It seems like the reports are widely spread out through the years and models, so it only seems like each model and year only has a couple of incidents.

Some assclown actually reported 2 unrelated incidents as "Exize". Anyone who doesn't even know the model name of his own car needs to have his drivers license taken away

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you go to BMW 3 series forum, you’ll see sticky posting on fuel pump failure. This occurs on pre 2010 335s. It is not as catastrophic as Lotus oil failure but already resulted in recalls and extended warranty.

NHTSA needs to start the investigation on this oil failure issue quickly and Lotus needs to take some actions. Perhaps, class action lawsuit might get Lotus attention???? BMW is already facing lawsuits with their pump failure. I’ll leave this up to attorneys.

I may just replace oil lines at my next oil change which is due in a few weeks. I just cannot afford to have my engine die. :wallbang:

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
I hope someone comes up with a kit soon. Did anyone contact Sector 111 and asked them for any solutions?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quick, someone make a friend at Jalopnik.

EDIT: It'll be a good story about the 'new' Lotus abandoning its old niche market, owners, and dealers, as well as turning a blind eye to these safety & reliability problems. I think we need an uprising; it's the thing to do nowadays.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Here is the message I sent to Jalopnik [email protected]

Greetings Jalopnik Staff,

I am a big fan of your website and blog. This morning when checking on jalopnik.com, I saw a story regarding a good-will replacement of Ford Fiesta transmissions from the company after only 5 complaints were made to the NHTSA regarding transmission woes.

Similar woes are being experienced by Lotus owners in regards to oil cooler hose failures. Well, there may not be a hard rule regarding how many complaints it takes before the NHTSA notifies manufacturers, and obviously production numbers come into play. The Ford Fiesta outnumbers Lotus Elise/Exiges by a magnitude of about a million probably.

Even so, Lotus owners have had huge trouble regarding oil cooler lines failing due mainly to improperly crimped hose fittings. Consequently, catastrophic oil failures can occur while driving, and while there've been no accidents or injuries yet, you can imagine how dangerous this would be at freeway speeds. NHTSA reports have been filed, but have gotten nowhere. Please refer here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/we-should-report-oil-line-failures-nhtsa-94000/

Lotus wants to play with the big boys now, and if they still wish to do so, they're gonna have to take on big boy responsibilities including recalls or good-will fixes. I hope there is some interesting story you can make out of this!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
BTW, I also made a similar tip to autoblog at Autoblog

I hope if enough of us tip these blogs off, they may make a post about it. We'll see, worth a shot at least.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't understand!! NTHSA is investigating Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner for 18 complaints of rear glass shattering when opening/closing and not this issue???????

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
yeah I don't get it... that spider recall was pretty rare and bizarre.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I would buy a kit!! But I probably would be a little leery of installing it myself. Sounds like a lot - running the length of the car through tight spaces and to two oil coolers. Hope its not a clam removal job but maybe its unavoidable.
I'm 95% sure you can't replace the lines without removing the front clamshell unless you like cutting holes in your car.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
has anyone here who had the failure and reported it been contacted by NHTSA?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hello All,

I was just contacted today by NHSTA via email requesting my VIN to assist them in their investigation. I copied and pasted the email received below minus the names. It confirms they are looking into the concerns.

Good afternoon Mr.---------,

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is currently conducting a defect investigation on Lotus Elise 2005-2006 MY vehicles for alleged oil cooler line rupture. Your complaint is currently being reviewed by our investigative staff, however we require your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in order to assist us in our investigation efforts. Please provide your VIN number at your earliest convenience.

If you would like to further discuss your complaint please feel free to contact me at the contact information in the signature below. Thanks for your interest in highway safety.

Sincerely,

---------------------
Safety Defects Engineer/ Federal Investigator
NHTSA- Office of Defects Investigation
U.S. Department of Transportation

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I reported my driver's side oilcooler. I also indicated my profile name and that pictures were available. My vehicle is a 07 Exige S with 9970 miles. It has not been repaired ( or gotten any worse ) as of yet, but I am going to have to do something before next driving season

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hello All,

I was just contacted today by NHSTA via email requesting my VIN to assist them in their investigation. I copied and pasted the email received below minus the names. It confirms they are looking into the concerns.

Good afternoon Mr.---------,

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is currently conducting a defect investigation on Lotus Elise 2005-2006 MY vehicles for alleged oil cooler line rupture. Your complaint is currently being reviewed by our investigative staff, however we require your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in order to assist us in our investigation efforts. Please provide your VIN number at your earliest convenience.

If you would like to further discuss your complaint please feel free to contact me at the contact information in the signature below. Thanks for your interest in highway safety.

Sincerely,

---------------------
Safety Defects Engineer/ Federal Investigator
NHTSA- Office of Defects Investigation
U.S. Department of Transportation
Maybe they are finally listening.

:up:

81 - 100 of 128 Posts