The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dang, this seems to be happening at a more and more alarming rate. It almost seems like it WILL be guaranteed to happen if not replaced. I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb. I don't have the expertise to pull everything apart nor the spare $$$ to pay someone else to replace it right now. Yes, feel free to flame away but I'm not a mechanical wizard comfortable with removing clams and everything else associated with that project.

My Elise has 31K miles and is right in the 'zone' for the failure. I hope the NHTSA comes to a conclusion soon. This is not like normal wear and tear items that you replace when you see the wear. With this issue you are totally fine and any mechanic would look and say you are fine - until out of the blue you are totally not fine. Then you end up hopefully with only a damaged or roasted engine instead of losing control and going over a cliff or into head on traffic because of a massive oil blowout directly on your tires.

I told a girlfriend about this and now she won't ride with me until something gets done about it. Ha.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
yeah I bought the 200mile towing AAA membership right before I drove down to Pismo Beach for the weekend. Good piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Got a call from NHTSA today. They want pictures and service records from my two oil line failures. The investigation appears to be in full swing...
Cool, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My car is an 08 exige s240 with 20k miles. After browsing this thread I decided to take a look at my front oil cooler lines fittings. The driver side fitting is completely clean but the passenger side looks like it's greasy not sure if it's leaking since it's impossible to get a close up look without removing the clam. Should i report this?

·
Premium Member
11,473 Posts
My car is an 08 exige s240 with 20k miles. After browsing this thread I decided to take a look at my front oil cooler lines fittings. The driver side fitting is completely clean but the passenger side looks like it's greasy not sure if it's leaking since it's impossible to get a close up look without removing the clam. Should i report this?
Not familiar w/Exige, but if on elise, one can remove the front underpanel and the wheel well liner to get a good view.

NOTE to all: To find any leaks, throroughly clean area and dry completely.

Then, cover with talcum powder or Desenex. The source of the leak will become immediately apparent.

(I used powder to get track of animal living under a back step area too...worked beautifully)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
After a rather dangerous and horrible failure on my car a couple years ago I found this solution on Ltalk for $2. You just have to cut off the old crimped section of the collar and replace with screw straps (ghetto but effective). It won't come apart no how hard you pull. I removed my entire oil cooler assembly and using a water/oil cooler system for my Ecotec swap...if anyone needs hose or a cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
After a rather dangerous and horrible failure on my car a couple years ago I found this solution on Ltalk for $2. You just have to cut off the old crimped section of the collar and replace with screw straps (ghetto but effective). It won't come apart no how hard you pull. I removed my entire oil cooler assembly and using a water/oil cooler system for my Ecotec swap...if anyone needs hose or a cooler.
The problem is that screw clamps eventually loosen due to repeated temperature cycles, and there was one report here of that happening to a guy who used screw clamps to repair his oil line (the oil line started leaking again). That is why Oetiker clamps are used instead. The crimp has springiness, so it expands and contracts with temperature changes. Oetiker clamps are not expensive. Buy a bag of 25 of their best clamps from McMaster-Carr for about $11 plus about $6 shipping. The following thread has all the specifics.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f312/oil-line-fitting-dissection-measurements-repair-pictures-99266/

121 - 128 of 128 Posts