The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,,

I changed my 2nd gear & syncros that recently broke and the fix is running fine..

However, the new fix is slipping clutch and not engaging as quick as when the clutch pedal is being released (mostly power shifts..).. The disc is brand new.. Could be the clutch springs have become weak or has the power become much for the OEM disc? :shrug:

Do I need to upgrade the tranny to E153 or any other that can hold the power of 300+ hp..

I am wondering if the conversion will affect the Variable Traction Control *Cup-260*??

Any other suggestion to upgrade the tranny to hold that much of power? I want to keep the car convenient for road use..

Suggestions needed please!

Thanks,

Wael

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the disc only, OEM Lotus Dealer.
I didnt replace the pressure plate.
It's a Cup260 upgraded with 3inch+Headers+RaceExhaust+KoldFire estimating 300hp.
Wael

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It's quite possible that you are exceeding the capacity of the stock clutch/pressure plate. I put an ACT HDSS clutch on mine and it feels awsome and still very street able. That being said, I don't want you to think that that's your only option now.

My stock clutch didn't feel terrible on my previous mp62, but with the HDSS I can tell it engages much better. The stock did slip occasionally.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi,,

I doubt there is a restrictor valve in the line because it was not doing this before I changed the disc.. Moreover, the 3inch pulley was changed along the disc and the car was tuned after, so there must have been some extra power due to this that is causing the slips..

I've gotten replies from Sean and MonkeyWrench (Matt), along with the replies in this thread and arrived to the solution:

- Upgrading the clutch to HDSS or MWR Comp. Clutch (Toyota)
- Changing the internal gears 1->6 to Kaaz
- Final drive to make up for the short Kaaz gears (debating 3.9 or 4.3 against the stock 4.5)

This is my workout:

# --KAZZ-----STD----OEM4.5------3.9--------4.3
1---2.923----3.166------108%-----124%------114%
2---2.188----2.050-------94%-----108%-------98%
3---1.706----1.481-------87%-----100%-------91%
4---1.364----1.166-------85%------98%-------90%
5---1.167----0.916-------78%------90%-------82%
6---0.916----0.725-------79%------91%-------83%

I'm using the car on streets, and it looks like the 3.9 final drive is much better overall but the 24% longer first gear is worrying??

Cheers,

Wael

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi,,

I doubt there is a restrictor valve in the line because it was not doing this before I changed the disc.. Moreover, the 3inch pulley was changed along the disc and the car was tuned after, so there must have been some extra power due to this that is causing the slips..

I've gotten replies from Sean and MonkeyWrench (Matt), along with the replies in this thread and arrived to the solution:

- Upgrading the clutch to HDSS or MWR Comp. Clutch (Toyota)
- Changing the internal gears 1->6 to Kaaz
- Final drive to make up for the short Kaaz gears (debating 3.9 or 4.3 against the stock 4.5)

This is my workout:

# --KAZZ-----STD----OEM4.5------3.9--------4.3
1---2.923----3.166------108%-----124%------114%
2---2.188----2.050-------94%-----108%-------98%
3---1.706----1.481-------87%-----100%-------91%
4---1.364----1.166-------85%------98%-------90%
5---1.167----0.916-------78%------90%-------82%
6---0.916----0.725-------79%------91%-------83%

I'm using the car on streets, and it looks like the 3.9 final drive is much better overall but the 24% longer first gear is worrying??

Cheers,

Wael
I bought the MWR "special" gearbox with 3.9 final drive. All the gears are tall and with that FD the box was totally undrivable. Theoretical top speed 8500 in 6th would have been 320kph. I ended up swapping my old crown wheel and pinion (4.3) onto the included LSD. This turned out to be very drivable but as my HP increased I wanted the security of a stronger setup so put in the helical Jubu 3&4 but as this is my daily it was just too noisy especially on overun. I put in the E153 conversion from MWR. The supplied engine mounts were just like concrete. So stiff that I didn't even drive it out of the garage, totally undrivable on the street. I did a cut and shut with my old OEM front and rear engine mounts welded to their supplied mounts. Beautiful lack of vibration with my FF engine damper. The E153 does have wide ratios but as mine is 99% street driven and occaisional track and autokana I am happy that with my HP getting to 400 I am not going to break it. The Exeedy clutch that was supplied was also just too heavy and I replaced it with a slightly lighter unit.
All my old gear stuff has found a home in some of my friends cars locally :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the MWR "special" gearbox with 3.9 final drive...
Do you mean the one that comes with the Kaaz close ratio gear set? Eventually the same that is being offered to me..:(

I was considering the 4.3 more and Matt said the 3.9 is fine.. If my logic is right, the first gear will reach up to 55mph at 8,500 which is pretty nice but i am sure this will reduce the acceleration!

Having read your reply, I guess the Kaaz set + 4.3 now makes more sense..

Thanks,

Wael

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do you mean the one that comes with the Kaaz close ratio gear set? Eventually the same that is being offered to me..:(

I was considering the 4.3 more and Matt said the 3.9 is fine.. If my logic is right, the first gear will reach up to 55mph at 8,500 which is pretty nice but i am sure this will reduce the acceleration!

Having read your reply, I guess the Kaaz set + 4.3 now makes more sense..

Thanks,

Wael
No I did not have the Kaaz gearset

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just a thought, if going to go to that much trouble, why not just change the box for one that can deal power?

Gearsets are really just sticking planters to a weak box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts