The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi LT! :wave: Based off of the last Weapon R Shorty header thread I made ( http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/weapon-r-shorty-header-57702/ ), and the fact that I'm completely bored, I've decided to make an interest thread, especially since past interest threads in this part of the forum haven't been deleted yet. I called up Chris W, the sales manager at Weapon R ( Weapon*R Racing Development ) and I asked him if I was to create an interest thread for this product, would it be able to go back into production. His answer to me was it all depends on the amount of people I have interested to put this header back into production. So here I am, with this interest thread for sh*ts and giggles.

As you all know, I have no affiliation with any supporting vendors, non supporting vendors, nor am I looking to make a profit out of all of this. So lets get the facts real quick:

A) Is this product in production? NO
B) Am I selling this product directly to you? NO
C) Is there a set price for this header? NO
D) Am I making a profit should this product get put back into production? NO

Hopefully now that I have outlined these stipulations, I have not broken any of the new forum rules now that the rules in this thread ( http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f24/word-management-17694/ ) are outdated...and should be updated BTW. In any case, the one non-supporting vendor I know isn't interested in distributing this product here as a vendor. But if an interest thread such as this caused a supporting vendor, or a non-supporting vendor to stock the product, then it would totally be worth it, even if we have to do some "detective" work to figure out what website or company has the product.

Now why should you buy this product? It's simple. It's the only reasonably priced aftermarket shorty header (outside of Boosted2.0's stock header porting service) that has been dyno'd and butt dyno'd to give consistent gains, unlike other shorty headers (Trial, TRD, DC Sports) that require ECU tuning to see any gains, and can allow you to keep the stock cat. Considering the most viable option right now to gain hp while keeping your stock cat is a one man porting cyborg named Boosted2.0, it's best to see about taking away some of the burden of porting the whole 2zz community's stock headers for reliable gains that can bolt onto a stock cat. Here's an outline of 2zz shorty header options:

1) Trial Shorty Header ($1,175): KINWAY MOTORSPORTS - TRD Performance Parts and Accessories for Sport Motors
2) TRD Shorty Header ($800): KINWAY MOTORSPORTS - TRD Performance Parts and Accessories for Sport Motors
3) DC Sports Shorty Header ($317.07): Dc Sports Thc4403 FasterThanThem.com
4) Boosted2.0 Stock Ported Header Service ($155): http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204266

Where will the Weapon R Shorty Header price fall? Probably in the middle, after doing a Froogle.com search. To give you a good idea of where the price might sit, you're free to click this link for an idea ( weapon r street celica GTS - Google Product Search ). I guess the rest of the websites that had the product one month ago got the message that it's discontinued...oh well. Lets see how this goes.

Toyota Members:
1) GTsRasta
2) ikaikajower

Lotus Members:
3) Pestodude
4) KeepItClear
5) Dragon

I'm putting myself down on the list since, even though I'll be getting my friend's Boosted2.0 ported header along with his supercharger setup in mid September. It wouldn't hurt to have somebody to do a comparison dyno on a programmable ECU, and with a greddy supercharger at that. Mods, please don't castrate me if I broke any rules. Simply close and delete the thread if I did :) .

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I gotta steal this one from another site...

Originally Posted by GTsRasta
No boost = less heat = less power = less stress on the engine.
posted by MaineLotus:

No Experience = Bad Advice = GTSRasta

rotfl - That has to be the best line ever....

Disclaimer - Im not saying that this wont work on a Lotus, Im just saying that this is also the same guy that was trying to "sell" shifter bushings that wont fit on a Lotus and he doesnt do his research before "selling" stuff on here, just reads what other people are doing to their cars....

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disclaimer - Im not saying that this wont work on a Lotus, Im just saying that this is also the same guy that was trying to "sell" shifter bushings that wont fit on a Lotus and he doesnt do his research before "selling" stuff on here, just reads what other people are doing to their cars....
I left reasonable doubt that the bushings looked different and smaller than Celica GTS ones, and indeed they were. Simple goof.

As for the weapon R shorty header, it was advertised as a Lotus product by a website turbophil was trying to order off of. The aftermarket DC shorty header was at one point on Dave's supercharged Lotus before he moved onto the supercharged version of the PPE race header. I don't see why this particular aftermarket shorty header wouldn't bolt right up either. They both have got to be the same dimensions if they are to replace the stock header.

I also honestly don't see what I'm doing wrong on this site, and why you go out of your way to say the things you say, along with closing the last thread I made with a picture of me and my Aunt from my myspace, a person you assumed I was dating. Looks tend to go after you pop a kid and get married.

And if me saying "No boost = less heat = less power = less stress on the engine" is wrong... I guess physics has failed me and Jesse IL, the forced induction moderator at newcelica.org when he said not boosting a factory NA car is the way to go for reliability (http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243977) .

I have nothing further to discuss with you. Let this interest thread be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I will buy one if it gets put into production again. 100%

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
could those with the header give your impressions? any cels? for how long and what were they? if they do another batch will they get the fit right? a friend of mine has one and had to cut and re weld parts to make it fit right...

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This thread is for the "shorty header", the header with that issue is the "race header"

could those with the header give your impressions? any cels? for how long and what were they? if they do another batch will they get the fit right? a friend of mine has one and had to cut and re weld parts to make it fit right...

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clarifying cory.

I would also be interested... Would also like a Ceramic coating option..
I think bringing it to a local ceramic coating place where you are in your part of the world, or doing the rattle can ceramic coating + thermal coating wrapping can do the trick. But you're free to ask once the time comes. Special orders like that can make the group buy price hairy. Here's a nice product for you to try, along with thermal cloth to wrap the header with:

Engine Enamel & High Heat

The duplicolor high heat is what I'd go with. Not sure which is the best in the business though.

This is the header in question that's discontinued:

Weapon*R GTS Street Header Special!!! - NewCelica.org Forum

I will search for testimonials for the next post.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically what I found is that a few people reported exhaust gas leaks, but many got the gains they wanted:

weapon R street header problem - NewCelica.org Forum

The good comments about the header are all over the site in random threads.

And unfortunately, starting up an INTEREST thread over there is too close to making a group buy thread, so it got closed. Looks like it's up to you guys, as I don't want to be a site sponsor on any of the sites. When California time speeds up later in the day, I'll give Weapon R a call to see if they want to create a Toyota interest list themselves as a site sponsor again.

In any case, I'll give this till August 1st, or around that weekend.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Chris will probably want a certain number pre-ordered, which means you need a vendor to get non-refundable deposits for each header and the customers need to understand that it will take some time before they see the header in their hands.

Getting people to actually give deposits on parts like these combined with the waiting period usualy doesnt go over very well, it might seem like a great idea and its usualy easy for people to say "sure im in!" but until someone has enough people's money in hand its not so easy to get done....that said, good luck.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm giving it until August 1st.

The fact that the "new" forum rules over at newcelica.org made an interest thread like this no good hurt the chances as well.

If the thread dies off, that's all she wrote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think bringing it to a local ceramic coating place where you are in your part of the world, or doing the rattle can ceramic coating + thermal coating wrapping can do the trick. But you're free to ask once the time comes. Special orders like that can make the group buy price hairy. Here's a nice product for you to try, along with thermal cloth to wrap the header with:

Engine Enamel & High Heat

The duplicolor high heat is what I'd go with. Not sure which is the best in the business though.
I agree ceramic coatings are the way to go.

I had mine coated by zircotec () in england. very pro plasmaspray process which is not a paint-so it doesnt fall off!!!

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No idea. Only the lucky few who jumped on the group buy a year ago seem to have it. No plans for it to get put into production either. Too much work.

Might as well go with the $155 Boosted2.0 ported stock header service, or $1200 PPE race header setup if you want dyno proven gains AND a cat.

The Weapon R race header isn't a bad idea at all since it's priced right between those two other options, and the fact that they'd make more batches of them, but you won't be able to run a cat. That damn design looks like it has no room for one.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The only cat I have is on my front porch, I currently have a ported stock header and was looking for something with larger primaries than the stock/ported offerings! - I have an Arqray dual Titanium exhaust that I really don't want to hack up to fit the race header that is why the Shorty is/was the best option for me!

·
Registered
294 Posts
This thread is for the "shorty header", the header with that issue is the "race header"
The race header is still available in some online sites, do they still work?? there pretty cheap

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else have an issue with buying something called "weapon r" for their car? I guess I am getting old but it sounds like something off of that mind-numbing stupid-fest fast & furious. I tired to watch that film and it was so ludicrous from every conceivable persepctive that I just could not, and I really love cars.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts