The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-- I'm doing my first HDPE event soon. My rear tires are down to the wear bars in the center, but there's still some tread left. Is this going to make the car fail the tech check? Is it stupid for me to try and run with these tires in any case? I was thinking that getting new tires at this point would make the rear more slippery, just from the new tire "molding material" or whatever. Any thoughts, should I get new tires or not.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hi folks-- I'm doing my first HDPE event soon. My rear tires are down to the wear bars in the center, but there's still some tread left. Is this going to make the car fail the tech check? Is it stupid for me to try and run with these tires in any case? I was thinking that getting new tires at this point would make the rear more slippery, just from the new tire "molding material" or whatever. Any thoughts, should I get new tires or not.
First, I'm assuming that you're driving your car to and from the HPDE event... what will you do if you cord your tires during the event (not to mention having an actual failure on track at speed)?

Second, many tires are at their grippiest when they're new (after maybe a lap or two of warm up).

·
Registered
933 Posts
But some other tires are welcome to run shaved to be more like a slick.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
You will probably chord the tires at the event. Ask me how I found this out. :eek:

(I had ordered slicks for the event, and UPS mis-routed them... forced to go with street tires is sorrowful shape.)

·
Registered
856 Posts
You should get new rear tires. The tires on the elise are finiky. You will be shocked at how much better your car will handle EVEN IN THE STRAIGHT HIGHWAY with new tires in the rear. I am assuming you have about half life in the fronts left?

You should get new tires, you will be so glad you did.

Besides, the rears at the wear bars (ps, you never told us which tires you had)
The A048 tires are so very bad at the bars and should be changed out asap
the AD07 are just as bad if not worse than the A048 tires.

Change them... Do it for me... Do it for YOU... Just do it.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Not safe. End of story. You are a danger to yourself and others.
+1
you need to buy new ones in the immeadiate future anyway, dont be cheap and end up having to fix your car, AND buy the new tires anyway.

its a false economy tracking on old tires.

I would hope the tech guys would check your car and NOT allow you out, if not, beware of driving with this club. it would tell me that you cannot count on others on track with you have cars that are also trackworthy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll get the new tires. Not a question of money, just thought brand new tires might have to be worn a bit before tracking...guess I had that wrong. Anyway, yes the fronts have plenty of tread--more than half.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the car with RE-01's all around (LSS wheels, 205/45 front and 225/45 rear). I'm thinking I'll get the RE-11's in the back for now, then R888's when the street tires are finished.

·
Registered
140 Posts
down to the wear bars like just touching or well into the wear bars? what is your tread depth? You could probably pass tech and be okay if you have just reached the wear bars on the RE-01R's. The tires still have life left at that point. If you do end up getting new tires be sure to do some donuts before you get them :shift:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If I hit something on older tires I would forever rue the day, and my decision.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Depends on the tire.... You get Toyo RA1 tires down to the wear bars and they're just starting to get really good.

xtn

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've had a LOT of fun with some AO48's that were way past the wear bars. I went to the track with the goal of cording them and spent the day sliding the car around the track. Everybody wanted to go for a ride because it was soo much fun (fun, not fast). Now this was a member day, I was basically on the track by myself or with other members who knew what was going on and I had previously been on track for hundreds of sessions... Not what I would recommend for someone who is new to HPDEs. Get new tires.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I've had a LOT of fun with some AO48's that were way past the wear bars. I went to the track with the goal of cording them and spent the day sliding the car around the track. Everybody wanted to go for a ride because it was soo much fun (fun, not fast). Now this was a member day, I was basically on the track by myself or with other members who knew what was going on and I had previously been on track for hundreds of sessions... Not what I would recommend for someone who is new to HPDEs. Get new tires.
I would recommend the opposite. I think a newb will learn more, and be safer, on tires with less grip.

xtn

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Less grippy tires are easier to learn on, yes.

But on the other hand tires that are about to be corded could be an issue.

I think the OP is worried about using new tires when on the track and he shouldn't be, hence my advice that he should get new tires.

:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts