The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I see LotusTalk does not have a section for "Carburation" probably because we cater to the newer crowd here :) I have a question about Weber DCOE carbs and I figured why not try the here first?

I have a Ford Zetec installed in a 1973 Europa and I have a pair of Weber 40 DCOE carbs to go on it. The carbs have sat for over 30 years but are in pretty good shape otherwise. The starter circuit plungers are stuck in the housing and really don't want to move :( Also, the starter jets are suck. Poking around I have found many people don't even use that feature as it is only used for cold starts. Does anyone here have experience with this? I am considering removing that function...

I hope you can help!

Keith

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Hi guys,

I see LotusTalk does not have a section for "Carburation" probably because we cater to the newer crowd here :) I have a question about Weber DCOE carbs and I figured why not try the here first?

I have a Ford Zetec installed in a 1973 Europa and I have a pair of Weber 40 DCOE carbs to go on it. The carbs have sat for over 30 years but are in pretty good shape otherwise. The starter circuit plungers are stuck in the housing and really don't want to move :( Also, the starter jets are suck. Poking around I have found many people don't even use that feature as it is only used for cold starts. Does anyone here have experience with this? I am considering removing that function...

I hope you can help!

Keith
Keith,

In case you don't get any input here, I suggest that you join the Yahoo Europa group (if you haven't already). There is actually a discussion going on now about those Webers, although I don't know the exact topic because I haven't been reading them...I still have the Strombergs on my Europa.

Also, the Lotus Europa Community forum is a good place to be.

Finally, there is an extensive knowledge base in the Lotus Europa Central site. I've rarely typed in a key word for an issue I've had where a number of past discussions and posts have come up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I am a member of the Lotus Europa Yahoo group but I only really use internet at work and it is blocked out here, so I don't use it as much as I could! I'll check the Lotus Europa Central site.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I am a member of the Lotus Europa Yahoo group but I only really use internet at work and it is blocked out here, so I don't use it as much as I could! I'll check the Lotus Europa Central site.
Contact Tesprit on this site, he should be able to offer advice.
Michael

·
Registered
412 Posts

Yes :up: this is true; indeed, just pump the accelerator pedal before you turn the key for a cold start. Lots of folks with webers used to do that instead of using the "choke" because the latter tends to eventually fail.

Be aware that Ford Zetecs don't like old webers: the fix is to drill an extra progression hole. Without the mod, the weber will be too lean on transition off of idle and it will stumble terribly. Just google for "weber extra progression hole for zetec" and you will find the necessary details.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tony! I am glad to hear the starter circuit isn't necessary because it is less "stuff" in the engine bay. I am bottom mounting the throttle cable to make it look as pretty as possible.

In my initial poking around, I see that the transition from idle to primary is the difficult part with these carburetors. I have very little experience with carbs in general (my boat has a Holly 4bbl but that's it) so jumping right to a PAIR of DCOE's will be frustrating I am sure of it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,316 Posts
Q. for the ignorant among us (me): :rolleyes:

If you had a modern Ford Zetec engine, why wouldn't you use the FI system it probably was built with?

·
Registered
412 Posts

If you had a modern Ford Zetec engine, why wouldn't you use the FI system it probably was built with?
The answer is an additional 30 bhp, give or take, 'cause the Webers breath better.

HOWEVER

The induction sound alone makes it worthwhile! :coolnana:

...if you get them tuned. :sad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer your question it was more for looks (and sound, lets face it) than anything. I threw the entire intake and fuel injection system in the garbage because it looked so bad. It is sad I had to put a newer engine in, so I want to at least make the new engine look original. And with twin DCOE's it will pretty much look the role. More horsepower never hurt I suppose...

I joined sidedraft central. I'm sure once things get rolling they can help.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts

One word; analog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts