The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows, weight is a killer in performance, and every pound counts. I just had a random thought, and i'm not around my car to do the test at this time. Does anyone know the weight difference in the glass top -vs- the painted top? I am partial to the glass, and have only had the other one in just to see the change in looks. Anyone have the stats, or around their car to check???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure on the weights, I am always on the lookout for one of the Carbon Fiber ones that used to be available. Those are probably the lightest.

If anyone has a line on a CF one let me know!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure on the weights, I am always on the lookout for one of the Carbon Fiber ones that used to be available. Those are probably the lightest.

If anyone has a line on a CF one let me know!!
Good option.. havent seen any recently.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's certainly thicker but the width and height are the same. You'll need a different rubber seal around the aperture for each different Lotus roof panel though as the glass seal is thicker to make up for the thinner panel.

CF roofs were available for a short time some years ago, the only ones you'll get now pop up on ebay from time to time. Between all 3, the weight difference is negligable imo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CF roofs were available for a short time some years ago, the only ones you'll get now pop up on ebay from time to time. Between all 3, the weight difference is negligable imo.
From what I saw the carbon fibre ones are only about 3kg. The bigger reason I want one is to get rid of the greenhouse effect of the glass roof here in SoCal. Hmmm come to think of it I could just vinyl the glass one black like my rear quarter windows.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure on the weights of the two tops. But i have just finished one of my CF projects. Part of that was also a CF-engine cover for the V8.
The new cover is 3,1 kg lighter than the original one.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
ups... sorry, should be 2,1kg.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not sure on the weights of the two tops. But i have just finished one of my CF projects. Part of that was also a CF-engine cover for the V8.
The new cover is 3,1 kg lighter than the original one.
That looks great!!! Where did you get it?????

·
Registered
182 Posts
The parts were made by a friend of mine. He is very good in his job making CF-Parts for Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and so on.
I have always looked for CF parts for my Esprit but couldn`t find anyone. Just for Elise and Exige. So Marcus said he can make them for me.
Not cheap but in very high quality standart.
I have attached some pics so you can see his works.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
@jfitz981: thanks, but your car looks very cool too!!! ;-)))

Marcus` details:

Bühler Kunststofftechnik
Daimlerstrasse 46
75433 Maulbronn (near Stuttgart)

you can call him on 00491714232713 or drop him a mail on [email protected]

If you get in contact with him, tell him that i have shown you the carbon parts for Esprits.

Dragi

·
Registered
190 Posts
Geesh gospeedv8...impressive mods. Are your seats Recaro Pole Positions? Do you have anymore pictures of your seat setup, also did it require any modification to fit?

·
Registered
182 Posts
LotusKid, i`m sorry but dont`t know the exact name of the seats. But they are like those in a Porsche 911GT3.
There were no other modifications made. The original Recaroconsoles on the original Lotus console fitted on the same holes (is that english correct written?? )
I am sorry but its a long time ago since i have learned your language in school. I hope you can understand what i have written.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts