The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:
In all this time of my waiting for the Elise, I have never really thought of the weight limit issue. I am 5'10", at a solid 175 lbs. From the past threads, I trust that my weight and height should be fine in the driver's seat. However, one of my professional athlete friend is 6'2" at 250 lbs. My burning question is this. "What is the maximum weight tolerance per seat in the Elise? And should we try our best to balance the weight in both seats? Or is this a case where if they weigh more than me, they cannot be in the passenger seat?"
Given that this car is at about 2,000 pounds, I imagine any additional 200 lb would perhaps tip it somewhat?
- dechien
Dreadfully tired, mildly concerned, and becoming more and more impatient during this waiting process.
(#29 at Newport European)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just have them lean when you turn, as when you sail.

Seriously, should be no big deal. You will notice the passenger I bet. I race a car that is 2100 pounds and have taken 250 pound passengers on some laps.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with Randy. I've open-tracked 3400 and 3200 pound cars (Mustangs and SVT Contour) and I can readily tell when I have a 200 pound passenger in the car. The balance of the car is definitely affected.

In fact, in my open-track cars, I usually have the car aligned while I'm sitting in the driver's seat. This balances camber and geometery while I'm in the car alone.

Bob

·
Registered
279 Posts
dechien said:
Dear All:
In all this time of my waiting for the Elise, I have never really thought of the weight limit issue. I am 5'10", at a solid 175 lbs. From the past threads, I trust that my weight and height should be fine in the driver's seat. However, one of my professional athlete friend is 6'2" at 250 lbs. My burning question is this. "What is the maximum weight tolerance per seat in the Elise? And should we try our best to balance the weight in both seats? Or is this a case where if they weigh more than me, they cannot be in the passenger seat?"
Given that this car is at about 2,000 pounds, I imagine any additional 200 lb would perhaps tip it somewhat?
- dechien
Dreadfully tired, mildly concerned, and becoming more and more impatient during this waiting process.
(#29 at Newport European)
There's actually no problem at all with either your weight or your passenger (even if he/she's XXL :) ). You can still; go out for a really quick blat, and the chassis will do its magic, as usual! You haven't ordered a Huyndai, you'll in queue for an Elise, remeber that! :D

The only issue you'll see is that of space lack . If your friend is XL (or XXL like me :D ), you may find yourself asking him to change gears for you, or your elbows will touch. For me Elise is actually a single-seater toy car. If the driver and passenger are like you, then it's OK, but space is limited for greater sizes...May we ask for a SV chassis, like Caterham's? :) :rolleyes:

Moreover, you'll be able to feel the extra passenger weight on the steering wheel. It will fell slightly heavier but still noticeable to you... The heavier your chap, the heavier it'll feel :). You may even check it by yourself, when you try to steer it from outside, and when you're behind the wheel!...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
On track in my Exige a passenger makes about 2-3 seconds a lap difference on a 1:30-ish track (depends on their weight). You really notice the extra weight.

FYI

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think it's safe to say that adding passengers affects all cars, the thing is most cars don't transmit the data to the driver as well as the Elise.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Derek said:
I think it's safe to say that adding passengers affects all cars, the thing is most cars don't transmit the data to the driver as well as the Elise.
Along with the lighter the car, the more you will feel the passenger. On my 210 pound kart, bolting on 10 pounds is noticeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts