The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The ReVerie seats arrived today. They are comfy, gorgeous and LIGHT! They weiged in at a tick over 5.5 lbs (slightly less than the advertised 5.75 lbs :).

Thanks Shinoo @ sector111.com.

Now, if only I weighed as little as my daughter (actually, my target weight loss for my self is just about what she weighs; man that is depressing :().

·
Registered
648 Posts
Congrats sleepless... you're on the slippery CF upgrade path now and it's all downhill from here... In fact you can hear the thought process even from here "CF Scoops? Much cheaper than the seats, bargain, I'll have some. CF Diffuser? Better value for money than the seats, I'll have one..."

;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tony,

Looking at your sig, it seems that your car is very similar to my goals for the Elise. How much did the heater stuff weigh? I was thinking of removing it also.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not sure but with the aircon and heater/blower removed, i've saved around 15 kilos. Bare in mind though that I also reduced stacks of weight from the rear too so the balance has remained the same.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The car is now at Speedware Motorsports to begin its weight loss modifications as noted earlier.

We decided to just get ride of the body altogether :)

Just kidding! They are having some fun getting know the car's innards. Apparently the clams are quite easy to remove!

More pics of the interior coming later today.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Was it easy enough to remove the freon piping in the chassis side pod?

·
Registered
607 Posts
sleepless said:
AC comes out tomorrow.
Thanks! Looking forward to the update. Kudos for this aggressive weight reduction endeavor.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The guys at Speedware Motorsports are weighing everything and here are some weights so far (more to come):

Arqray cat conv. 6.6
Arqray muffler 10.2
Motor cover/lid 12lbs w/ hinges
Front hood louvers 1.0
Painted front hood covers over brake reservoir 2.0
Painted top rear roll bar cover with 3rd brake light 8.0
Roof 19.0
Rear plastic trim with speakers/grilles 7.0
Upper roof trim (black w/5 holes) 0.5
Foam damping material behind speaker plastic trim 4.5
Side body intake vents (black plastic) 0.5
Rear interior carpet pcs. 1.5
Exhaust heat shield 2.5lbs
Battery 24.5
Factory exhaust with O2 sensors 38.5
Rear fender liner 1.5
Front right wheel liner (2 pcs.) 3.0
Front left wheel liner (2 pcs.) 2.0
Rear clamshell 55.0
Front clamshell 31.5 (minus lens covers)
Sport Pack front wheel/tire 32.5
Sport Pack rear wheel/tire 36
Stock seat (minus brackets) 15.5
Speedware harness bar 5.0

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just an opinion or a task?

The sub-frame on the Toyota powered Elise's is heavier for two reasons,

1.It now carries the loads of the rear suspension springs, where in the earlier cars the shocks were attached to the chassis. Lotus cut the chassis off shorter in the rear to make space for the Toyota engine, which is much longer than the Rover. The Toyota is also 65 mm longer [wider in the Elise] than the K20A, so there would be a LOT of space on both sides of the K20A.
2.The sub-frame is a much more wide-open design than the original, so they increased the thickness of all the sheet steel it's made from. The current sub-frame allows the removal and replacement of the engine without the sub-frame or rear suspension to be removed.
3.There's a third reason as well, just my opinion, Proton has lost sight of what the Elise is supposed to be, and isn't following Colin Chapman's credo of gaining performance through light weight.
The main reason Lotus decided to use Galvanized Steel for the sub-frame was that the adhesive they use in the chassis won't handle the heat of the exhaust system. They took the lazy way out and just made it from Steel since they were in a very big hurry to get the Elise to market and were running out of money for R&D. The sub-frame I would like to make for this car is 7075 Aluminum and 4130 Steel tubing. It'll weigh far less than the S-1 sub-frame and be hundreds of percent stronger. For the first time ever the top of the rear suspension would actually be connected together across the chassis! Only in the GT-1 Elise was this very important consideration given any thought at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sorry I forgot to add the main point above ::D

>>>Lotus' new rear sub-frame is VERY heavy (26.4 kg ) compared to the S-1 sub-frame (15.2 kg)<<<

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Prolene said:
Was it easy enough to remove the freon piping in the chassis side pod?
Well, yes and no. No because it takes too much time to remove them so, yes, because we decided to cut them and pull them through the pod. The piping is VERY light so if you don't want to cut it, just leave it there.

The most work was up front where you have to take off quite a few bits to get to the radiator and A/C core. Then, you have to figure out a way to reattach the fans because the old brackets don't work with the A/C core out. We just zip-tied the fans on :)

I'll have the weight of all the A/C components in a bit.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just had my Elise 111s weighed. Results as follows:

Crossover of 49.7%, total weight ex Driver = 725kg.

Without Driver: 725kg (1609lbs)

With Driver: 800kg (1776lbs)

·
shay2nak
25,204 Posts
damn! 1609 lbs! What was the stock weight?

·
Registered
489 Posts
When your done don't forget to throw in a set of custom adjustable struts (Height, pitch and damp) and adjust all four corners to compansate for the weight change across the whole platform. Remember that your car was tuned by Lotus engineers whom spent who knows how many hours to balance out the power, brake force, weight, suspension to maximize the overall performance of your car. Striping items out can result in faster drag strip performance but may have undesirable results on a track that has corners.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
tonyyoshi said:
I think it's 806 kg / 1777 lbs but can't be sure if that's with aircon.
You have no idea how hard it is to read that! I'll be lucky to get mine down to 1850 without the hardtop and that's still 100lbs heavier than you started at. AAAAaaaaarrgh

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

21 - 40 of 166 Posts