The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Elise for a week now; so much fun!

I am trying to reconcile varying weight listings for the 2011 Elise R. Car and Driver lists 1984 lbs., Edmunds lists 2010 lbs. and the owner's manual lists 1896 lbs.. Does anyone know which figure is most accurate? I really like the manual number but is it to good to be true? The power to weight ratio would be under 10 lbs/hp.

I might have to find a scale to get an accurate figure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I have answered my own question. Looking at the 2005 owner's manual, the Elise is listed at 2010 lbs.. I had assumed that all Elises were that weight. It seems that Lotus managed to trim 114 lbs. over the years. it's like adding 11 more horsepower.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Typically each model year after the original year gains weight. The only way to know is to weigh your car. Quoted weight is always wrong.

San

·
purveyor of lightness
4,193 Posts
Sounds just about right.

2005 manual lists maximum unladen weight full of gas as 912 kg. that's 2010 lbs.

2010 total
Less hardtop -27 = 1983
Less touring pack -12 = 1971
Add sports pack -20 = 1951
Empty 10,6 gallon tank -64 = 1887

Tada!

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Typically each model year after the original year gains weight. The only way to know is to weigh your car. Quoted weight is always wrong.

San
This. The quoted weight is also got a lot of tolerance built in to handle the heaviest parts that are within specification. It is likely your own car weighs less. The car probably vary by as much as 10-20 pounds from individual car to individual car

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had also assumed that later models would either be the same weight or would gain some pounds. If Lotus has been consistent in their manuals (full tank, no mention of sport or touring pack or hard top), then the Elise really is 114lbs. lighter in the '11 version. But I agree that actually weighing the car will be the true test. Still, it's great to have an effective 11 extra horses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One option would be go to a local rock yard and ask if you can park on their scale for a minute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts