The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question, but does anyone know (or can find out) the weight of the big piece of sound deadening foam behind the seats?

I'm experimenting with some different sound insulation/weight optimizations and forgot to weigh that one...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
can't be more than a few pounds and a real bitch to remove from what I can see.

·
Registered
433 Posts
FWIW, on a bathroom scales it came out to about 5 lbs. If it is really important I can take it down to my warehouse and put it on the small shipping scale.
Also, since removing it in favor of the factory harness bar last weekend, I have not missed it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5lbs! Wow, this stuff really adds up! At some point I'll post the results of my experiments.

You think it's hard to take it out... wait till you try putting it back in, *with* the harness bar.

Anyone have one they could conveniently weigh for an exact number?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I concur with 5 pounds. It is pretty dense.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have one they can weigh? Need more sig figs!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ha! Thanks, you just saved me from running downstairs to weigh mine!

·
shay2nak
25,130 Posts
that 5lbs doesn't include the rear speakers does it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
that 5lbs doesn't include the rear speakers does it?
The speakers are mounted in the plastic cover. They are talking about the polyurethane foam behind it. I believe this only came with cars equipped with the touring pack.

.....not to be confused with the touring wheels..... ~runs~

·
shay2nak
25,130 Posts
oh just the foam weighs 5 lbs! Probably the WHOLE thing weighs close to 10lbs I'd guess.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I pulled mine out the other day. I placed foam speaker baffles behind the new Polks I installed.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I know I'm about a month late to this party and all. But when I was taking out my rear window the other day I removed the plastic cover that holds the speakers and found no sound insulation. :shrug: I'm pretty sure I've got the touring package (electric windows, leather seats) though, maybe someone forgot to install it?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If you got the touring package you should have had the foam. Nigel probably had been drinking a little early that day and forgot to put the foam in. When Pierce pointed it out, Nigel responded, "There's no bloody way I'm taking that thing back off again. Sod off." And you never received your foam insert.

I have two sitting in my basement. I have zero sitting in my car. I've had them in and out and I can't tell all that much difference.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I was actually just looking forward to having something else to rip out of the car. I ripped out the carpets and was looking forward to gutting this piece of foam, so I was kinda disappointed. Next step is to find a new way to mount the rear speakers and ditch the plastic panel.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I was actually just looking forward to having something else to rip out of the car. I ripped out the carpets and was looking forward to gutting this piece of foam, so I was kinda disappointed. Next step is to find a new way to mount the rear speakers and ditch the plastic panel.
You crack me up Amarao.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Ditch the rear speakers too.

xtn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts