The Lotus Cars Community banner

Weight saving philosophy?

4682 51
Something has been bugging me for a while. I hear non-stop about piddly little weight savings - ounce here, pound there. I hear this chatter in the cycling world as well. Here is my comment/question/rant: How overweight are you? It seems NOBODY that I regularly run across in the Lotus world or cycling world ask themselves that question. For instance, if you are 30lbs overweight (fat, not muscle) and you are "psyched" for saving 2lbs on a new muffler setup, you simply do not truly care about low strength (HP) to weight ratio. You cant! That would mean you have 28 extra pounds you could dump without costing money. Until ANYONE is at their lowest possible athletic weight (i.e.- men 8-14% body fat), then there is no real need to worry about "going faster" by getting new "low weight" trinkets for your car. I have seen people be as much as 50lbs overweight, and possibly higher in Lotus and cycle worlds nit picking about weight savings on their car/bike. Dieting is your cheapest weight saving mod. :thwack:

So the next time you give a cheery write-up on how you saved 2 pounds on a new battery, refer to the above rant and please consider my fragile psyche. If having extra fat applies to you, hit the pavement, work off the pounds and THEN write about the 2lb product weight savings. Then and only then will you be in the black! BTW, I need to work off a few poinds from these damn holidays. The shame! :(
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something has been bugging me for a while. I hear non-stop about piddly little weight savings - ounce here, pound there. I hear this chatter in the cycling world as well. Here is my comment/question/rant: How overweight are you? It seems NOBODY that I regularly run across in the Lotus world or cycling world ask themselves that question. For instance, if you are 30lbs overweight (fat, not muscle) and you are "psyched" for saving 2lbs on a new muffler setup, you simply do not truly care about low strength (HP) to weight ratio. You cant! That would mean you have 28 extra pounds you could dump without costing money. Until ANYONE is at their lowest possible athletic weight (i.e.- men 8-14% body fat), then there is no real need to worry about "going faster" by getting new "low weight" trinkets for your car. I have seen people be as much as 50lbs overweight, and possibly higher in Lotus and cycle worlds nit picking about weight savings on their car/bike. Dieting is your cheapest weight saving mod. :thwack:

So the next time you give a cheery write-up on how you saved 2 pounds on a new battery, refer to the above rant and please consider my fragile psyche. If having extra fat applies to you, hit the pavement, work off the pounds and THEN write about the 2lb product weight savings. Then and only then will you be in the black! BTW, I need to work off a few poinds from these damn holidays. The shame! :(
:panic:

You have my vote for post of the day!

·
Premium Member
27,787 Posts
The weight of the car, the unsprung weight, the body mass index... these things are not mutually exclusive and it is myopic to say that one can't discuss one of those things.

p.s. 155 pounds. I don't need to lose weight. But regardless, I want the car as light as possible.

P.p.s. It is a good point. Many people would do well to focus on losing weight and getting in shape.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
that 2lb muffler savings will still help regardless of the fatty fat fat fat, and will be there after you lose the weight, and just because the guy who did the write up was fat doesn't mean everyone who reads and benefits from it will be, plus you cant make every passenger lose weight before they get in.

in summary: shut up

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I think you will find that the majority of Elise/Exige owners are not fat asses and at least somewhat in shape ( actually it seems like many are thin and in good shape when I think about the people I know ) - mainly because you won't fit in the damn seat. And getting in and out takes strength and limberness. I would think if you are much more than a size 41 waist your butt would be on the seat edges and it would be very painful for anything longer than a 10 minute ride. I am a size 35 and just have room on each side of my hips.

Can't tell you how many times people have said "there is absolutely no way I could get in or out of that car" to me . The car was obviously not designed for people with fat asses, bad backs or weak arms and legs. This might be one of the reasons the Elise/Exige is not a huge hit in the US, far too many fatties who would rather plop into a Vette with power steering

Loose = not tight Lose = get rid of

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
that 2lb muffler savings will still help regardless of the fatty fat fat fat, and will be there after you lose the weight, and just because the guy who did the write up was fat doesn't mean everyone who reads and benefits from it will be, plus you cant make every passenger lose weight before they get in.

Wow monsi you seem a little moody? you not getting your oats recentley or what :shrug:

J/K

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
I would rather pay money and have the car loose weight then to put effort into it and loose it myself... I guess im just fat and lazy...

+100 :D

+101 ... That weight you lose from the mods STILL helps no matter what.

I think you will find that the majority of Elise/Exige owners are not fat asses and at least somewhat in shape ( actually it seems like many are thin and in good shape when I think about the people I know ) - mainly because you won't fit in the damn seat. And getting in and out takes strength and limberness. I would think if you are much more than a size 41 waist your butt would be on the seat edges and it would be very painful for anything longer than a 10 minute ride. I am a size 35 and have room on each side of my hips.

Can't tell you how many times people have said "there is absolutely no way I could get in or out of that car" to me . The car was obviously not designed for people with fat asses, bad backs or weak arms and legs. This might be one of the reasons the Elise/Exige is not a huge hit in the US, far too many fatties who would rather plop into a Vette with power steering

Loose = not tight Lose = get rid of

I am probably the fattest Lotus owner I know, but I'm relatively young, very strong, somewhat limber, and can wiggle in and out without much drama. That said, the car is a pain to get in and out of no matter what your physique (with the top on), and that is a turn-off because some people would rather jump into the car and go without needing to pull their scrotum out of some body part for comfort's sake.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It should be a little bit of BOTH.

Keeping your body weight (or BMI) to the right level helps too in these ways:
1) same benefit from car to car
2) same benefit from sex partner to partner(more benefit depending on certain positions)
3) run after car jackers
4) run away from car jackers
5) welcome at all departmental stores
6) welcome at all chinese all-you-can-eat buffets
7) welcome by all airline/subway/bus passengers
8) your shoes will thank you
9) your mother-in-law will thank you
10) your lotus will thank you

YMMV

;)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've done both: I lost weight and I've purchased stuff to drop the weight on my car.

The really cool thing about buying stuff to lower the weight of your car: No matter what you do, car parts don't mysteriously gain weight back.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,278 Posts
The bloody Wii Fit thing is addictive.

I've been on it every-single-day since Christmas and have lost 9 lbs. since.

BMI sucks though. I still have 18 lbs. to go to not be "overweight"

My goal is 169 lbs.... Still a looong way to go.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
you obviously don't ride with competitive cyclist! we get neurotic about 2-3 pounds, cut weight, test watts, cut weight, test watts... i am "retired" from racing. and don't obsess as much - typically i am much more worried about my weight than most girls....

FYI i can tell you right now that i am 70-90 watts short and 4 lbs over. not good! hahaha

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
you obviously don't ride with competitive cyclist! we get neurotic about 2-3 pounds, cut weight, test watts, cut weight, test watts... i am "retired" from racing. and don't obsess as much - typically i am much more worried about my weight than most girls....

FYI i can tell you right now that i am 70-90 watts short and 4 lbs over. not good! hahaha
With that screen name I wouldn't expect anything else ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts

+1 re: cyclists :up:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.