Can you imagine 100lbs save from all the simple mod:
1. Battery from RLS, 15lbs,
2. Seats from Reveries, 20.2lbs
3. CF hatch, 8lbs
4. CF wings, ? lbs
5. CF doors, ? lbs
6. RS134, 10.2lbs
7. 2Bular, ? lbs
8. Anything else to save another 20-30lbs?

Do you know 100lbs less = ? WHP gain :D

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The aluminum hatted rotors save a few pounds as well. And it is unsprung mass (the best mass to get rid of). If you local emission testing is lax, the catalytic converter is a lot of weight too. Going naked rear allows you to shed most of the insulating box around the exhaust (a few more pounds). Many aftermarket Cat-Back exhaust solutions are much lighter than stock.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Installing a new oil cooler in the engine bay and eliminating the original cooler(s) and the long lines saves ~18 lbs.

Be careful with wheel weight savings, they can be deceptive. New lighter wheels which are wider than stock encourage you to install wider tires which can weigh significantly more than the original tires, negating much or all of the wheel weight savings.

For lots of great weight saving options check out this site: darkSol Showcase

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My goal is to save more weight after the A POST, yet must maintain the OEM look.

9. Rear windows, ? lbs
10 ????

·
Registered
905 Posts
Would a CF undertray be worth looking into? I know i've seen CF diffusers? Not sure if the weight savings would be worth it but something to look into. I was going to say CF hardtop but removing the hard top would save even more haha.
CF rear clam?

My friend has started making all aluminum exhausts for Evolutions/Eclipses and I told him that a lightweight aluminum exhaust for my lotus would be awesome. He talked about fabbing one up so i'll see if he still wants to try that. I believe he mentioned heat being an issue if the piping is under a certain length.

Other forms would be removing the stereo equipment/speakers or finding lighter replacements. Remove carpeting and other stuff from the trunk or the trunk entirely

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a CF undertray be worth looking into? I know i've seen CF diffusers? Not sure if the weight savings would be worth it but something to look into. I was going to say CF hardtop but removing the hard top would save even more haha.
CF rear clam?

My friend has started making all aluminum exhausts for Evolutions/Eclipses and I told him that a lightweight aluminum exhaust for my lotus would be awesome. He talked about fabbing one up so i'll see if he still wants to try that. I believe he mentioned heat being an issue if the piping is under a certain length.

Other forms would be removing the stereo equipment/speakers or finding lighter replacements. Remove carpeting and other stuff from the trunk or the trunk entirely
No, no, no. I would like to maintain the OEM look. So nobody know.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal is to have weight lost but still look OEM. Like GT3 RS ( everything still on the car and functioning ), radio , A/C ..... still on the car and running, but in very light weight.

And nobody know you have weight lost. Everything still look stock and original.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I went the other way in weight savings...Lost 23 Lbs. Good for me and good for my Elise. 163 lbs wet and found it to be cheaper short and long term! :)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
On an Elise, the hardtop weighs about 28 lbs, whereas the soft top is only 10lbs. Removing weight from the top down is more beneficial than bottom up. (aside from suspension/brake weight)

I've removed just over 100 lbs, it is not cheap though.
My glass windshield is really pitted so that will be a major savings especially since it is so high on the car. (speedglass weights 16 lbs less I believe)

-Robert

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hey JBS, what does "-3,8" mean?,... because,... it does not mean "-3.8"
He's in Europe. There (and much of the rest of the world actually), a comma is used instead of a period to delineate the partial numbers from whole numbers. His values are also in kilos, not lbs.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He's in Europe. There (and much of the rest of the world actually), a comma is used instead of a period to delineate the partial numbers from whole numbers. His values are also in kilos, not lbs.
Well its not a floating point number without the point.

I mean what number is this then : 3,000,001?

Is it 3 million and one, or 3 thousand point zero zero one.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
does 10 pounds of weight lost really = about 1 horsepower gained on our cars? If so, I'm going to gain about 2 hp once I start kayaking this summer:)

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
you can lose 100lbs without stripping the car. I started at 2060 almost full tank, now about 1950 with half tank. Will get to <1900 with half tank when I'm done. Majority of weight left is from carbon seats, carbon rear hatch, flywheel and rotors.

I'm guessing with carbon doors, lexan? windshield and stripping the interior (stereo and back panel) you'd drop another 40lbs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
great thread. otw to the darksol showcase link now.

It's fun being so quick from the lights : )

·
Registered
645 Posts
Does anyone know what a 05 elise seat weighs? I just bought a tecnocraft seat which weighs 6 lbs so im trying to figure out the weight savings and this seems like the place.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts