The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got to borrow a set of racing scales so of course I weighed the Lotus. Here are the results:

1999 Lotus V-8
Stock, 1/2 tank of gas, no driver, unloaded

LF 647 RF 676
LR 848 RR 852
Total 3023
Cross 1524 50.4%
Left 1495 49.4%
Rear 1700 56.2%

A couple of quick observations, The car is very evenly balanced but it has a heavy rear bias. It would probably be even worse with a full tank of fuel. The left bias would probably disappear with a driver of the "correct" weight. Moving the battery you could adjust the cross bias. Messing with the ride height you could also adjust the bias a little too. For street this is fine but to tune for a track you would want to adjust things especially if it is a left hand track or a right hand track.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
743 Posts
This information does not come overnight!
Lucky you were able to borrow a racing scale.....thanks!

Oh, I like to add weight by deleting my spare tire - so, how much weight I save for that?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
1/2-% of 1500 pounds is nothing.

If it was off 5% I am not sure that you would notice it, and if so just.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
David,
Do yourself a favor and do some reading on corner balancing. The real goal is not to get your car at 50%-50% front/rear or left right for that matter. Cross weights are key and a little rear bias in the weight department actually is an asset dynamically under braking and corner entry. The weights that you recorded for your stock Esprit are excellent the slight improvement that can be achieved by say installing adjustable springs would be unperceivable except to driving gods.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree wholeheartedly with you, there is little, if any, room for improvement. The heavy rear bias is compensated for by the selection of the tires. My objective was not to try to improve anything but to get a baseline for future reference. I was curious what the weights and cross balance was and I thought it would be useful information to post for the Forum. There are those among us who spend a LOT of money trying to improve the car. They may find this useful. Depending on the driver's weight and the particular track you might adjust the tire pressure and maybe move the battery. You are right though, mere mortals would not notice any difference. The car was very well engineered so it is hard to get much (if any) improvement. That last couple of % is always the hardest and most expensive to get. For the majority of us it just isn't worth it. But there are some with too much money who will try!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with you, there is little, if any, room for improvement. The heavy rear bias is compensated for by the selection of the tires. My objective was not to try to improve anything but to get a baseline for future reference. I was curious what the weights and cross balance was and I thought it would be useful information to post for the Forum. There are those among us who spend a LOT of money trying to improve the car. They may find this useful. Depending on the driver's weight and the particular track you might adjust the tire pressure and maybe move the battery. You are right though, mere mortals would not notice any difference. The car was very well engineered so it is hard to get much (if any) improvement. That last couple of % is always the hardest and most expensive to get. For the majority of us it just isn't worth it. But there are some with too much money who will try!David Teitelbaum

So true!!

·
Integrator
2,669 Posts
Mike,

What would be the goal for early SE,4cyl car?

David,
Do yourself a favor and do some reading on corner balancing. The real goal is not to get your car at 50%-50% front/rear or left right for that matter. Cross weights are key and a little rear bias in the weight department actually is an asset dynamically under braking and corner entry. The weights that you recorded for your stock Esprit are excellent the slight improvement that can be achieved by say installing adjustable springs would be unperceivable except to driving gods.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Mike,

What would be the goal for early SE,4cyl car?
It really depends on the proposed usage of the car, corner balancing a car is a fine tuning method used on competition vehicles to get the best handling characteristics possible for a give application (road race cars will be set up diffenent then a Nascar that only turns left). For a road car corner balancing is really not nessecary.
So I guess the goal for an early SE would be if it's a street car just drive it the way Lotus intended..

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
The USA Esprit 4CYL cars tend to have more weight on the left side with the slant engine and the driver. Not to mention the sag... They do tend to corner a little asymmetrically due to this.

A little corer balancing will help. Or for a rough correction, it helps to raise the left rear spring perch about 3mm to even out the ride and handling...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We did some corner weighing a few years ago, here are the results.

My car -- '90 SE with OEM V8 springs, V8 dampers, and V8 (OZ Futura) wheels, no driver, no spare tire, 3/4 tank of fuel:
LF 631 RF 642
LR 822 RR 825
Total 2920
Cross 1464 50.1%
Left 1453 49.8%
Rear 1647 56.4%

Dan's '95 S4, bone stock, no driver, spare tire, 3/4 tank of fuel:

LF 661 RF 644
LR 833 RR 831
Total 2969
Cross 1477 49.7%
Left 1494 50.3%
Rear 1664 56.0%

Rick's '90 SE, stock suspension, S4 wheels, no driver, no spare tire (replaced with amplifier), 3/4 tank of fuel:
LF 635 RF 604
LR 834 RR 861
Total 2934
Cross 1438 49.0%
Left 1469 50.1%
Rear 1695 57.8%

·
Registered
284 Posts
2003 Esprit.
3020 lbs with 3/4 tank stock (measured).
2920 lbs (measured) with Li-ion starting battery (9 lbs), spare tire and accessories replaced by pump and goo, Larini hi flow cats and mufflers, + a fire extinguisher and a bottle of Mountain Dew, and 2/3rd tank of gas.
Probably added 30 lbs since with PBC chargecooler kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts